• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#41 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:37 AM

Buy a rear clam Steve. This madness has gone on long enough.

frankenstein-clam is happening now

#42 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

Steve, good plan & It's lighter in the right location.

Ive always wondered about removing the doors (safety bar retained). Binning the front bonnet & engine lid. Do you think the track day organisers will have issues with that? No different from an atom/ caterham? I have a rollcage too. What the hell, ditch the roof & roof top too!

#43 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

I think TDO's would have a problem. Caterhams and Atoms are proven road cars. Saying that they didn't have any issues with this

9b229c8ee5f5.jpg

#44 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:14 PM

thumbsup

I very much respect and admire you for taking on a project like this, so fair play.

Just my opinion, and maybe it's because I have no 'vision' but think the design choices are a little odd, and very radical.  Maybe it's because I can't picture the end result, or maybe it's because I picture it looking like somebody has glued together an Audi A4, VX220 and Toyota CHR ;)

#45 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

thumbsup

I very much respect and admire you for taking on a project like this, so fair play.

Just my opinion, and maybe it's because I have no 'vision' but think the design choices are a little odd, and very radical. Maybe it's because I can't picture the end result, or maybe it's because I picture it looking like somebody has glued together an Audi A4, VX220 and Toyota CHR ;)

That's a fair comment! But please wait for a clearer picture further down the line. This is a journey for me that is both outside my comfort zone & may well end up with me looking like a chocolate dildo.

Since Ive decided to share it on the forum, I have stated that there has not been many highly modified VX's that Looked better than standard. So, I stand a fair chance of being ridiculed, perhaps stoned?

Anyway, I have been busy today with my wife (date day!) but have hit the man cave for an hour or so. The headlights arrived today. Ive partially fitted one and a little bit of man wee did seep out!

Guys, I don't expect anyone to get what I'm doing. As Ive said before a few times, my car cannot EVER go back on the road as it is a CAT B car. It has been solely a track car from when it was just a year old.

The combination of parts I have chosen, is what I have chosen, because I think it will hopefully look cohesive once completed. I may be horribly wrong and I'm more than happy to sit in the chair while the VX forum throws tomatoes at me...

I'm an old fart that doesn't give a....

If I didn't evolve my car, it would have been binned (i.e. sold as parts by a young Joe) so, a major revamp, repaint & TLC is being lavished on my car one last time. People who know my car will tell you that it's never been loved, just abused. That's true. I'll soon be able to thrash a young sharply dressed Frankenstein on a track near you...

I'll upload a photo soon. I don't expect anyone will also do a wee wee when they see it. Perhaps it's because I'm doing it that I'm finding it attractive. Who knows, who cares?

Enjoy or don't enjoy, I'm still going ahead with my plans & uploading photos. I don't mind negative comments, if it gets people talking then that's great.

I may well end up on the podium alongside turbotoaster! Yay! Surely I won't come first??????

#46 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

So the photo has the headlight just pushed in from the wheel arch & held in place with bubble wrapped shoved in from behind. I've fitted my old splitter (I think it looks better without a plywood splitter, but I want a splitter for the track, so it will have to stay. The car is jacked up on the side of the headlight, so the car may appear cocked. The bumper is not fitted properly at all, in fact, I ran out of time & just took a quick photo before closing the door.

I could have made a better job of the headlight cut out, it's a little off. even with making templates, due to the VX bonnet shape, it's tricky! I wanted a brow over the light like on some Audi's, but I cut it a little too straight. The other side should look better...

I'm going to use a perforated aluminium sheet that has been cut into strips to fit behind the plastic bumpers with voodoo glue (thanks FLD) to hold the cut bumper joints together so that it does not crack for when the mould is made. I may even try to add a liquid plastic mix which hardens & just sand it back & then fill?

From what I've seen today, the headlights with a little work will look just fine grafted onto the VX. I will have to make a fixing cradle for them though. it looks a little gappy as its just propped up from behind & its slumped back a little.

Hopefully next time I'll have both headlights done, arches trimmed & the bumper pieced together....hopefully!

one%20light%20vx_zps3iifnama.jpg

#47 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:17 PM

I love everything your doing with the car Max and thanks for sharing the running commentary of your vision.....

......now drop a special vag lump in there to finish the journey off ;)

#48 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:11 PM

Suspect you're not going to have the adjustment to get a level beam pattern with the headlights at that angle. Depending on the construction you might be able to alter the shutter to level them.

#49 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:20 PM

On the right hand side of the bumper it almost looks like the Audi bumper when cut down matches the contours and plane of the vx upper clam?

On the earlier photos it looked like there was a massive difference?

#50 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

Its different... I like it.

#51 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

On the right hand side of the bumper it almost looks like the Audi bumper when cut down matches the contours and plane of the vx upper clam?

On the earlier photos it looked like there was a massive difference?

I didn't have the level base of the splitter to work from before and the cardboard headlight props were just a guess of the shape.

Working from the flat base, you can set out accurately each side & screw the Audi splitter down securely. There is a lot of flexibility in positioning the front.

As for the angle of the light, for me it's not an issue as I'm only connecting up the daytime lights for track and my car is not road legal. However, the headlights can be rotated & positioned correctly but perhaps an addition cut down the bonnet crease will lift up the central bonnet section. If I had a spare portion of a front clam I would try it out if people wanted to convert lights for road use using the Audi B9 lights I have. But, I would try using the later Audi TT headlights, they look a much easier option!👍🏻

I quite liked the slants look, very McLaren.

#52 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:52 PM

Actually, I think the bumper base was not located correctly on the left hand side as I undid everything trying to get the flipping headlight unit in due to the radiator surround. I'll take a look tomorrow and see how far it is out if anything. As I said it was a last minute photo...I should have straightened the front out

#53 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

Actually, I think the bumper base was not located correctly on the left hand side as I undid everything trying to get the flipping headlight unit in due to the radiator surround. I'll take a look tomorrow and see how far it is out if anything. As I said it was a last minute photo...I should have straightened the front out.

IMG_0209_zpsxq97iymj.jpg

It's amazing how small the vx is. Look at th size of the A4 grill

#54 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:30 PM

You are crazy but I like it.. Its what .org is all about.. Keep going.

#55 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

8wz4jM2Q.jpg

Edited by smiley, 22 August 2018 - 10:08 PM.

#56 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:12 AM

Are you going to fiberglass copy the plastic bumper as over time both materials normally show signs of fracture and cracking between the joins

I love the headlight change, it's the cars Achilles heel

Edited by mbes2, 23 August 2018 - 07:13 AM.

#57 1cobrav8

1cobrav8

Joe is faster than me

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

Are you going to fiberglass copy the plastic bumper as over time both materials normally show signs of fracture and cracking between the joins

I’d be interested in a fibreglass copy 😁, would be quite happy to have the mould made pending the final finished look etc

#58 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:55 AM

Lol! I wish it was that easy to do Smiley. Thanks!

I think the headlight cut out needs sorting though, doesn't look quite right.

It definitely would look better without the odd plywood splitter! I may bin it, although I ally don't want to!

#59 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:47 AM

I’d be interested in a fibreglass copy 😁, would be quite happy to have the mould made pending the final finished look etc

Ive been using this forum since 2006 I think. It's been a great source of information & lots people who have & continue to offer invaluable help & assistance.

So, I'm more than happy for anyone to have access to the front & rear moulds. I'm also happy to answer any question on any of the mods I've done, just message me. I suggest the mould stays with the mould maker & he can supply copies to Anyone that wants one. I don't want anything out of it & I will ensure that the price he sets is very competitive. But, just wait till its all done.

I will have a proper fibreglass mould made, although I don't need to. But, that's only if there is genuine interest, I will ensure that the headlights are road legal & correctly positioned. I will have to make a headlight cradle that will bolt to the crash structure / radiator housing to simplify & ensure correct fitment every time. It will mean a new bonnet & wings, which will have to be a secondary mould.

I am on a course until Monday, so not much will happen until after then.

#60 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

Let's miss the fibreglass stage and go straight for a carbon fibre clam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users