Potential New Member......

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pd2

Pd2

• 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:44 AM

Hello folks,

I’ve decided to get a new car and after weeks of trawling autotrader/Pistonheads etc... I’ve decided I want to scratch the VX220/Elise itch. After a mate giving me an Elise 111r for a week (a few years back), I loved every minute of it. 111r’s now all seem to be £20k+ and my budget ain’t stretching that far.

So..... VX220 tubby it is.

I’m going to be doing about 5-7k a year and use it daily. I’m well aware of the compromises with this, I’ve owned classic mini, classic vw bug, MR2 turbo and a few others that required compromise.

My issue is, do I get a reasonably low mileage one and keep it standard or just bite the bullet and get a modified one......

I used to modify all my cars in some way over the years, but since my last few cars have been pcp (had a smart for2, Skoda fabia and currently fiesta ecoboost) I gave up on modifying. I believe though, with a car like this, modifying might creep back in somewhere. 😏

Anyway, I’ve spotted the below cars so far and hoping to see a few next week when on annual leave from work. I’m in Glasgow and nearly every one I like the look of is miles away lol! I couldn’t find any info on the forum for these ones but thought I’d ask if anyone knows these cars at all. (I did search using the reg’s).

Standard ones....

https://www.pistonhe...0-turbo/8778776

https://www.pistonhe...o-2003/8887670#

Modified....

https://www.pistonhe...-2-my04/8863791

https://tvs-glasgow....ll-vx220-turbo/

I did see a couple at £17k on Jon Seals, but I’m not keen on spending that much, nice as they are.

So.... anyone know these cars at all?

Cheers guys!

Paul.

Edited by Pd2, 22 August 2018 - 12:46 AM.

#2 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:30 AM

There's some nice cars out there!

I doubt many are the same as they left the factory now, the majority will have had had a mild remap to cure the flatspot. 

The TVS car has gone too far in my mind.  Stage 4 cars are compromised, I wouldn't want to drive permanently on Nankangs and wouldn't touch a car with Gaz, which means it's been done on a (too low) budget.

#3 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:05 AM

Agreed - a stage 4 car can be a handful (at least initially). If the Elise appealed, then I wouldn't worry about going for something too mental off the bat.

A nice NA isn't really far off a 111R pace on the road, plus if you like to tinker, you then have the well trodden SC option when ready. Done properly and sensibly it won't feel modified.

#4 Pd2

Pd2

• 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, think the stage4 is a bit much and as said, suspension and road tyres would be needed lol.

I’m thinking go standard and possibly go stage1 and just enjoy it. I don’t plan any track days, just road driving, possibly a Euro trip at some point.

#5 A.C.oral

A.C.oral

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:49 PM

To compare opinion. I bought "stage 3" few years back and improved to s4. If your going to want to itch for more power later down the line, may be an "s4" now isn't a bad shout.

#6 Nobbymogs

Nobbymogs

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:28 AM

I have recently purchased a SC with a bit of work done to it and i love it although higher mileage than i wanted but the costs of lower mileage cars is going up and up

#7 Pd2

Pd2

• 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply’s guys.

For some reason the SC’s never appealed to me. I’ve owned a few turbo cars in the past so think I’m just used to it.

One last car for you guys.....

Anyone know or known a black turbo with CX03 YVV, it my have also had a private plate on it at some point.

Cheers.

Paul.

#8 alanwetherall

alanwetherall

• Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Playing Tennis, watching TV car programes, enjoying my retiremnet

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:47 PM

Iv bought a low milage 2001 VX220 (non turbo) 3 months ago for under £10k and am now totally in love with it. i bought it as an origanal car and as an investment. I wanted simplicity so therfore didn't go for the turbo. If you fit a surpercharger to my car you can get up to 260bhp, I thinks that's far more than anybody wants for a road car

alan

#9 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,864 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:03 PM

To compare opinion. I bought "stage 3" few years back and improved to s4. If your going to want to itch for more power later down the line, may be an "s4" now isn't a bad shout.

Absolutely, I had a turbo, stage 1'd it, was then going to do 2,3,4 but went straight to 4, the stsge 4 mmg map was really poor, I now run one of Steve maps and the car is a great drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users