Go Pros Etc Etc

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nobbymogs

Nobbymogs

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:44 PM

who runs action cams if so what ones are good for money yes i can get a go pro but a new 1 is 400 quid and a bit heavy when not used all time

thoughts and links to footage etc etc would be great

thank you

#2 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

Honestly GoPro must be really feeling the pinch of the competition. There is a slew of cheap Chinese clones now, and cheap does not mean rubbish.

In fact I stopped using my GoPro hero 3 black for a Chinese clone as I preferred the image quality. Its probably harder to get a bad one now than one thats decent!

What application is this for ? Trackdays ?

#3 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:40 PM

There is a 200 pound regular gopro (to compete with the china clones)
But as said, the china stuff is getting really good last few years (and it is hurting the gopro company)

Lot's of comparison youtubes out there to see what is best bang for bucks.

#4 Nobbymogs

Nobbymogs

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

It's just to go on the dash for days put etcetc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#5 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:57 PM

Go Pro were always been overpriced for the technology you got. For the same price you can buy photography cameras of infinitely superior sophistication and quality which highlight the degree to which Go Pro are overpriced. They hit a niche at just the right time but technology has caught up and moved on and the cheaper competition is now a viable alternative.

#6 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:14 AM

Honestly GoPro must be really feeling the pinch of the competition. There is a slew of cheap Chinese clones now, and cheap does not mean rubbish.
In fact I stopped using my GoPro hero 3 black for a Chinese clone as I preferred the image quality. Its probably harder to get a bad one now than one thats decent!

I think GoPro still make their money from the mounting kits , I think the gopro mount for the harness bar cost almost the same as my camera.

Chris which camera did you go for in the end? The worst thing on mine is having to run manual exposure otherwise the sky gets blown out. I think the sensor on top gets confused with roof on/off.

I imagine the 2018 choices are even bang for buck, image quality wise , but sound is always a bit poor.

#7 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

I'm still using my SJCAM 4000 wifi, its the clone, but not the clone clone (there were cheaper options available but they were rip offs of the SJcam :lol: )

The latest ones still look good but their prices have crept up

#8 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

in terms of camera position , dash , or behind seat , you have to consider things like the light reflections and glare.

This was some footage I took earlier this year at Zolder , with the mount rotated round to see back. Even here the mic gets a lot of wind noise with the roof off. I have left in the run down the pitlane , I think the red Porsche 911 carrera that goes out just behind , I not sure what it was , but it was a great session finding the white GT3RS on the lap and then chasing him round, the PDK is great on downshifts , passing yellow GT4 and everything else.

#9 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:08 AM

Just a little tip on sound. Get a cam that you can plug an external mic into. I run a cable into my boot with a little clip mic attached. All the engine and exhaust noise, no crappy wind noise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:34 AM

Just a little tip on sound. Get a cam that you can plug an external mic into. I run a cable into my boot with a little clip mic attached. All the engine and exhaust noise, no crappy wind noise :)

I’ve briefly thought of doing this but on my GoPro the mic input is on the side, where the case is - do you need another special case to be able to plug in the mic?

#11 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:03 AM

Muvi K2

mounted to the tow eye. 

#12 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:56 AM

I’ve briefly thought of doing this but on my GoPro the mic input is on the side, where the case is - do you need another special case to be able to plug in the mic?

I use a bullet dogcam Kev. Cheaper and connects to mic more easily

#13 gertje

gertje

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:05 PM

GoPro in a helmed

https://youtu.be/bRb0QYxgrEE

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

#14 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:42 PM

I think GoPro still make their money from the mounting kits , I think the gopro mount for the harness bar cost almost the same as my camera.

Chris which camera did you go for in the end? The worst thing on mine is having to run manual exposure otherwise the sky gets blown out. I think the sensor on top gets confused with roof on/off.

I imagine the 2018 choices are even bang for buck, image quality wise , but sound is always a bit poor.

Steve, I would set auto exposure but spot metering : on.

This should expose for the center of the frame, which is the window/outside rather than the cabin.

Manual exposure control is almost impossible to get right on a trackday because the lighting conditions can be changing all the time with the cloud cover.

The trickiest is when its a cloudy day but the clouds are lit by the sun, yet there is no direct sunlight.

Still got the Gitup Git2 (crap name, good camera!) :

Edited by WrightStuff, 11 September 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#15 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

I run a cheap 4000 from China.

Apart from the battery life being poor so it forgets the time is great.

The camera Chris (Wrightstuff) uses is exceptional but I couldn't justify the price tag.

https://youtu.be/mZFy24o8hR4

#16 Nobbymogs

Nobbymogs

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:53 AM

Just been looking into these and the reviews seem really good and a full accessory kit for under 20 quid to go with it seems about the best for your buck at the moment
https://youtu.be/38bCzEWOHto

#17 Nobbymogs

Nobbymogs

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:58 AM

Akaso v50 pro specs all this for 120 quid plus 20 on acces kit i think this gets my vote and money Advanced Electronic Image Stabilization/ Diving Mode/ Compatible with External Mic/ Distortion Calibration/ H.265 Video Codec/ Built-in Filter/ Burst Photo/ Time Lapse Photo/ Time Lapse Video/ Slow Motion Movie/ Fast Motion Movie/ Wind Noise Reduction/ Long Exposure/ Scene Mode/ White Balance/ Sound Record/ Micro HDMI/ Mini USB/
Warm Tip: High Class 10 Micro SD Card up to 64GB is Highly Recommended for V50 Pro Native 4K Action Camera (Micro SD card is not included). Please format the card (not included) in the camera before using this action camera.
What's in the Box:
1x AKASO V50 Pro Action Camera/ 1x Battery Charger/ 2x 1100mAh Battery/ 1x Waterproof Case/ 1x Remote Control / 1x Bicycle Stand/ 10x Mount/ 2x Helmet Mount/ 1x Bandages/ 5x Tethers/ 1 x Protective Backdoor/ 1x USB Cable/ 1x Lens Cloth/ 1x User Manual

#18 gertje

gertje

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:18 AM

This is filmed with a cheap chinese camera https://youtu.be/7SuZZeQXN4w

#19 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:40 PM

Frame rate and mic are pretty bad on that camera 😕

#20 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

Frame rate and mic are pretty bad on that camera 😕

Is that a YouTube encoding issue?That is a bit crap if I'm honest. My cheapo one seems much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users