Cable From Gear Lever Up To Rear Windscreen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

Sorry for flooding the forum with all my questions... this is the last one for now, I promise!

I got myself a dual dashcam (A129 DUO) and need to run a cable from the front camera to the rear one.  I'm planning to run it around the windscreen surround, down through the dash, past the gear lever, and up to the rear windscreen.  I'm a bit stuck at the last point - how best can I run the cable from the floor up to the rear windscreen?  I'd like to hide the cable as best as possible, but without needing to take half the car apart.

Many thanks!

#2 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

If the speaker panel has never been out, you are looking at a big operation. (Seats out and heavy yanking of the panel as it is double sided taped on the car)

Is the cable long enough to allow you to tuck it behind it around the edges?

#3 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

The speakers & head unit have been replaced by the previous owner (ironic as I'm deaf and can't hear the radio!) - does the panel need to be out to replace the speakers?  IIRC the cable between the two cameras is 6 foot, I fear that this isn't long enough.

#4 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

Not to replace the speakers, that can be done from the outside.

As for the wire, especially with the speaker housing being out before, you could try to guide your wiring.

Passenger seat out, driver seat all the way forward, passen side seat belt top bolt out, then loosen speaker panel on passenger side.

That should give you enough space to do what you want.

Edited by smiley, 14 January 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#5 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

Run the cable down the passenger side A pillar, then under the dash (removing dash panel for easier access) and tuck it up inside the sill cover.
Should be easy to find a route from the rear of the sill cover through to the rear screen. Most of the cables are small enough to wedge along trim/panel gaps

#6 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:57 PM

Sorry for flooding the forum with all my questions... this is the last one for now, I promise!

I got myself a dual dashcam (A129 DUO) and need to run a cable from the front camera to the rear one.  I'm planning to run it around the windscreen surround, down through the dash, past the gear lever, and up to the rear windscreen.  I'm a bit stuck at the last point - how best can I run the cable from the floor up to the rear windscreen?  I'd like to hide the cable as best as possible, but without needing to take half the car apart.

Many thanks!

I have just fitted an Aukey dual Dash-cam as recommended by Techmoan

https://www.amazon.c...ds=aukey dr02 d

to my Clio Sport. It's very similar in shape and size to yours but the case and buttons differ. The Viofo is more expensive but gets better reviews, also, the Viofo is supported in Dash-cam Viewer whereas the Aukey is not.

I'm also going to get another dual dash-cam shortly probably the A129) to fit in the VX to replace a different previous Techmoan recommendation that eventually went wrong after a couple of years use.

There are a number of considerations I will be bearing in mind.

1. Do I want a switched connection? The answer is no, the reason being that when parked in supermarket car parks (or anywhere for that matter) I want to have the option of leaving the dash cam running. Supermarket car parks are one of the most dangerous places to leave your car with the chance of someone damaging it and just driving away. Happened to me recently with the Clio. The other reason is that there is the odd occasion when I'm driving when I want to have to have the option to switch the camera off.

2. Do I want a hard wired connection? Yes.

Personally I wouldn't use any of the connections suggested in your other post as they don't suit my purpose and involve what I consider unnecessary difficulty.  And, I certainly wouldn't run the rear camera cable down the centre of the car. Why? Well, my Aukey went wrong after two weeks and had to be returned. That meant stripping out all the wiring for return. If you install your dash cam and it goes wrong (and a lot of this Chinese stuff does) then you want ease of access to remove it and all the cabling then replace afterwards.

My intention is to use a hardwire kit, and wire it inside the cigarette lighter which is permanent live and control the on/off function with a dedicated switch. I already have a dedicated switch but I may move it. A hardwire kit has the advantage of coming with its own lead connecting to the camera, so if the camera malfunctions and has to be returned that's one cable you don't have to remove because the camera connector cable hasn't been used.

On the Aukey front camera the power lead is angled to the left of the windscreen so I will feed the cable around the windscreen and down and under the trim above the black sill and then along under the edge of the sill trim to the rear of the car to the cigarette lighter connection. The rear camera connector is angled to the left of the windscreen so I will feed the cable for that around the windscreen and down along pushed under the trim in a similar way. If the rear camera cable was fed down the centre of the car it would still have to be routed left or right and up and around the edge of the rear windscreen to be inconspicuous. It's worth noting that the Aukey rear camera lead is very long and very thick, twice as thick at the power cable and there will be metres left over. The VIOFO may be different. As stated, by wiring in this way the camera can be switched on and off manually as required and the wiring easily removed if required.

On the Aukey the GPS module plugs in directly between the camera power lead and the rear camera socket. This also has far more cable than you need if you're going to mount the module on the windscreen next to the camera in order to avoid even more cables around the windscreen. On the Clio I cut and shortened the cable (shielded) to about six inches and then soldered and insulated the connections in some heat shrink tubing. On the VX there is no trim at all above the windscreen to hide this cable.

If the A129 is as good as the Aukey  (when it's working, fingers crossed for the new one) then it's a really good camera. :)

Edited by oblomov, 14 January 2019 - 07:59 PM.

#7 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, I brought the hardwire kit for the A129 along with the camera.  The hardwire kit is specific to the A129 only and this uses 3 connections, switched live, permanent live and earth - the switched live is just to let the camera know that the car is no longer running and the camera will switch to parking mode and monitor battery voltage - hence my question about switched live.

Good point about going down the middle of the car - will go for the sill cover idea suggested by PaulCP.

#8 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:21 AM

Yeah, I brought the hardwire kit for the A129 along with the camera. The hardwire kit is specific to the A129 only and this uses 3 connections, switched live, permanent live and earth - the switched live is just to let the camera know that the car is no longer running and the camera will switch to parking mode and monitor battery voltage - hence my question about switched live.

Good point about going down the middle of the car - will go for the sill cover idea suggested by PaulCP.

In that case the hardwire kit for the A129 is better than that for the Aukey which is a simple positive neg/earth. This means I will definitely choose the A129 over the Aukey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users