Jim Clayton's Jack Helper

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:34 PM

As I might need to take all 4 wheels off my car, I've been looking at how to jack up the car on all 4 corners.  As you've figured out, I've discovered that I have to remove the undertray to do this.  I've found this video where this guy does it without needing to remove the undertray with help of a Jack Helper.  Looking at Jim Clayton's website, he only ships it to the Lower 48 States.  With difficulty, I might be able to get it delivered here in the UK.  Is it worth it, or is there a UK supplier?  Or is there another option?

#2 VX DAVE

VX DAVE

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:35 AM

What about a jack beam

tjb2.jpg

tj3b_low.png

#3 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:00 AM

That looks ideal, however looking at the video, it seems that the bolts the Jack Helper slots into is recessed in the undertray, so how would the big flat plates of the jack beam support the bolts without damaging the undertray?  Many thanks for advice!

#4 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

Surely it would be cheaper and easier to go to your local fabrication shop, give them the measurements and get them to knock something up.

#5 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

Surely it would be cheaper and easier to go to your local fabrication shop, give them the measurements and get them to knock something up.

:yeahthat:

Looks fairly easy to replicate.

#6 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:45 AM

If you jack at the side of the car in the middle jacking point it lifts both front and rear wheel off the ground at the same time.

Put a couple of axle stands under it (or reams of paper as others have used), then do the same on the other side.

#7 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

I use 4 x scissor jacks which seems to work really well.

#8 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

I've fitted these - distance shims.

https://www.regelin-...5094d42e388e798

They sit under the  forward undertray further back than the jacking balance point so you can jack the car at the jacking point (one side or both) and then place axle stands (with a small suitable block) without taking the undertray off.  Just have to be careful to get the jack or axle stand in the right place(when I fitted them I painted circles on the undertray because once fitted they're out of sight).  Then jack the front of the car (one side or both) and support on the chassis beam.

#9 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

There was a guy on here making and selling these for a vx in the uk... The jacking beam)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

just do one side at a time , loosen wheel bolts slightly before jacking up

decent trolley jack is much better than a car jack made of cheesy metal

#11 RC220

RC220

• 61 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

Hi Eddles, what you need is the adjustable portable tilting jack from Automotech Services - link is below

https://www.automote...e-tilting-lift/

This is what I (will) use.  It was delivered yesterday and I'll have the car up on this tomorrow...

I originally ordered the non-adjustable version but it is too wide for the VX.  The Automotech guys were very helpful and exchanged for the adjustable version - the customer service was very good.

Regards

Roy 

#12 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Hi all, lots of good suggestions, thank you all!  I'm intending to keep the tyres on all 4 and put them on the new rims, so I have to take all 4 off, take them along with the new rims to a tyre shop, move the tyres from the old rims to the new rims.  I don't really fancy having to do 4 trips!  I've already got a trolley jack, 4 axle stands and rubber bungs for all of those.

The distance shims oblomov suggested looks ideal - can't see how they work exactly on the website - I presume the undertray need to come off anyway, the shims installed, then undertray put back on over the shims, then jack up using the shims through the undertray?

Many thanks again!

#13 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

Hi all, lots of good suggestions, thank you all!  I'm intending to keep the tyres on all 4 and put them on the new rims, so I have to take all 4 off, take them along with the new rims to a tyre shop, move the tyres from the old rims to the new rims.  I don't really fancy having to do 4 trips!  I've already got a trolley jack, 4 axle stands and rubber bungs for all of those.

The distance shims oblomov suggested looks ideal - can't see how they work exactly on the website - I presume the undertray need to come off anyway, the shims installed, then undertray put back on over the shims, then jack up using the shims through the undertray?

Many thanks again!

Correct!  However they come without instructions so you have to take off the undertray and work out for yourself exactly where they fit.

#14 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

1 trolley jack and some bricks under the chassis is quite sufficient, no need to buy extra stuff.

Edited by Nev, 18 January 2019 - 07:27 PM.

#15 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:24 PM

1 trolley jack and some bricks under the chassis is quite sufficient, no need to buy extra stuff.

:yeahthat:  I use 2 boxes A4 rather than bricks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users