Upgrade Advice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stinkifatcat

Stinkifatcat

• 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

Good afternoon everyone

I managed to pick up a turbo yesterday and intend to use it for primarily track use. At the moment it has a stage 2 upgrade, and I think that for the short term, that is probably enough work on the engine to keep me happy. I would like to upgrade the brakes and suspension immediately, and am after some advice on what would be the best/most value for money kits on the market. Also any advice on which tyres are good for track use (bear in mind I will be driving to and from the circuit, so will need to be road legal) 

Do I need to upgrade the sump or is the standard sump okay for track use?

Many thanks for taking the time to read and thanks in advance for comments/help!

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,392 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

fit upgraded rear toe links

you can remove the balancer shafts which will increase sump space by 0.75L , but even standard is fine for oil surge.

#3 Krusty

Krusty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

Good afternoon everyone

I managed to pick up a turbo yesterday and intend to use it for primarily track use. At the moment it has a stage 2 upgrade, and I think that for the short term, that is probably enough work on the engine to keep me happy. I would like to upgrade the brakes and suspension immediately, and am after some advice on what would be the best/most value for money kits on the market. Also any advice on which tyres are good for track use (bear in mind I will be driving to and from the circuit, so will need to be road legal)

Do I need to upgrade the sump or is the standard sump okay for track use?

I was in the same position as you a few years ago, this is what I ended up doing to start with

Standard disc and calipers are fine, upgrade the fluid and pads and maybe braided hoses
Install switch on abs
Have a full suspension refresh with dampers, 1" arb
Replace toe links
Replace hub carrier bolts

You you will then find
Gearbox breather (is it needed on turbo)
And fuel starvation on some left hand bends (does this effect the turbo?)

After that the list is endless 😀😀

Many thanks for taking the time to read and thanks in advance for comments/help!

#4 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

Standard sump is fine.
Brakes : Big brake kit/4 pots is most likely a waste of money; and thats the opinion of the people that have bought it!
Just stick some race pads on there. Carbon Lorraine RC6, Performance Friction PFxx, Pagid RS14 all popular. Regular fluid flush. Take it from there.
Suspension : Personally I would recommend Nitron 40s. Best build quality. Quantums are dynamically slightly better but have had issues with leaking. Gaz have had more serious failures.
Consider the EliseParts 1" anti roll bar. Most track VXs run this. I notice there is now an 'ultimate' anti roll bar which is even stiffer.
Tyres : Toyo R888R, Avon ZZR, Federal RSR all proven to be good. The Federals are a lot cheaper.
Fuel starvation : Can happen on the turbo. Sustained left-hander g loading at less than 1/3 of a tank triggers it. Baffled tank fixes it.
That said it has only ever happened at Zandvoort in many years of trackdays. 

#5 Krusty

Krusty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:17 PM

Forgot to say a full geo set up makes a lot of difference as well

#6 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• 94 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:33 PM

Whatever else you do, proper toe links (ie. Spitfire) and new hub carrier bolts are essential before tracking. Give everything else a good check over and go from there. You will get any number of opinions on pads and shocks etc!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users