Welding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

i need to perform a small bit of welding on my vehicle. a couple of small tacks on th1e exhaust system. i am aware that i must disconnect the battery but is there anything elsw needed. can any damage bw caused

#2 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,263 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:47 PM

i need to perform a small bit of welding on my vehicle. a couple of small tacks on th1e exhaust system. i am aware that i must disconnect the battery but is there anything elsw needed. can any damage bw caused

Not really, just be sure the earth clamp is always on good metal so the current can take the easiest path down it.

Personally, I never weld anything on the car, the effort of having/isolating electrical gremlins is too scary for me. poof

#3 vocky

vocky

vx220 itb

• 11,586 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:33 PM

I would also recommend you keep the earth clamp as close to where you are welding as possible

#4 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the replys -The welding is on the u bend of the exhaust so presume i should earth clamp onto the exhaust as near to the welding as possible

#5 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:14 AM

I've seen warranty return shock absorbers where somebody has earthed out on a knuckle when welding. Arc has jumped between the shock rod and shock body when suspension is at full hang, blowing the chrome coating off the rod, which eventually cut the seal.

#6 sford

sford

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:13 PM

Just take the ubend off. It's three bolts and one clamp.

#7 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:20 PM

its a long story but have Problems with aftermarket cat back exhaust. basically the u bend is slightly too bent which puts the back box at to great an angle. this means that the exhaust has to be put under some tension to get the bolts into the os subframe mount as its out by about 30mm
i have removed the u bend flange and have set it up "unwelded" At the correct angle but need to tack in place hence it needs to be on the car

Edited by ukcat, 05 February 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#8 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

its a long story but have Problems with aftermarket cat back exhaust. basically the u bend is slightly too bent which puts the back box at to great an angle. this means that the exhaust has to be put under some tension to get the bolts into the os subframe mount as its out by about 30mm
i have removed the u bend flange and have set it up "unwelded" At the correct angle but need to tack in place hence it needs to be on the car

Just spot weld it in-situ after disconnecting the battery earth. Just put the weld clamp somewhere near on the exhaust part you're welding on.

(We often do a small spot weld there, as our exhausts have a habit of slowly rotating at the u-bend after installation... )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users