Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

http://www.vx220.org...no-16-for-sale/

#22 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:15 PM

Sorry that was what my long post was trying to say. Get it inspected and buy on condition and don't rely on a dodgy Cat system - I bet very few track damaged cars have a Cat marker.

#23 Martynf

Martynf

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:53 PM

That was a long read : ) very interesting. : ) the evidence was incredible. Thank you for sharing that post.

#24 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

Technically my car "was" a CAT C, BUT the insurance co that total lossed it didnt place a marker on it. Allegedly thats common if its the 3rd parties company doing the work and not yours then claiming off them, no idea how true that is.

There was a rough rule of thumb that a CAT C back in 2005-2010 kinda mean chassis damage because the cars were worth more and the claims etc were reasonably available, this wasnt 100% the case and usually the wishbones would give up as intended to save the chassis anyway.

As ever and mentioned, things like a hire car would cripple a claim and make it a write off even if the damage was very cosmetic.

Another thing to note is that a CAT C/D may be cheaper to buy but you'll also likely sell if for a % less than a non cat/straight car market value, so you arent losing money (not now anyway as the prices are on the up) that you imagine.

all my humble opinion

#25 Tommo

Tommo

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

Man i loved reading that at the time.  I hadn't long bought mine and was literally sat at work refreshing the thread waiting for the next revelation!  Remember it making its way around other forums as well, with everyone celebrating the shear effort everyone put in to get to the bottom of it.

Cant believe it was 12 years ago!

#26 Di3sel

Di3sel

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

Read that topic after randomly encountering it. Really amusing thread. Has anyone got any news on this VXR?

#27 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:22 AM

A previous VX I had suffered a Cat C accident (damaged rear subframe, which was replaced along with other bits), and the insurance co. wrote it off and paid out, however, it was never registered as a Cat C by them (presumably), or at least it never showed up on any vehicle checks.. I presume this was an over sight on their part.

I wrote it off a second time to be sure, def a Cat C now (with bodywork damage only) :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users