Turbo Manifold Bolts

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:41 AM

Hi does anyone have any experience with removing the exhaust manifold (Turbo) - There are 10 Nuts but the clearance between some of the lower ones and the manifold is very small - Do i need some sort of special thin walled sockets or something ?? - 1 of the nuts (as far as i can see) can only be removed by using a male torx  key - This is fine as the studs are far enough back from the end of the nut but if i fitted new studs they appear to be longer with a torx head and im not sure i could re-fit the nut using a male torx key 

Any suggestions as always are very much appreciated 

Cheers

Tony

#2 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:45 AM

The nuts have a hex fitting beyond the torx, just get a good ring spanner on them (13mm I think). As for the studs they thread into the block and can be screwed further in to adjust.

One of my studs snapped so I needed a stud removal tool and had to retap the block thread to allow the new ones to start turning in.

Edited by SteveA, 07 March 2019 - 11:50 AM.

#3 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:14 PM

The nuts have a hex fitting beyond the torx, just get a good ring spanner on them (13mm I think). As for the studs they thread into the block and can be screwed further in to adjust.

One of my studs snapped so I needed a stud removal tool and had to retap the block thread to allow the new ones to start turning in.

Steve thanks for the info - is it actually possible to get a ring spanner onto the lower ones though  (i.e the ones below the manifold) - Also how about re fitting and torquing  them backup !!!!

#4 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 08:25 PM

Just for info (Might help someone in the future) - You need to use a male torx drive on the manifold nuts as on some of them clearance between the nuts and the manifold is to small to allow a socket to fit on 

20190308_154052_zpsn0hjunfh.jpg

These studs are no good as they protrude past the end of the nut and do not allow a male torx to be be used  

20190308_154549_zpst8np9fik.jpg

I Used a small torque wrench, a 3/8"  T50 Male Torx drive and a 14mm hex socket 

20190308_151537_zpsg3pofmhz.jpg

20190308_154341_zpsc2g6rfnq.jpg

All done 

20190308_151558_zpslx00qeeu.jpg

20190308_151515_zpsbyvbjzvm.jpg

#5 sam220T

sam220T

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:49 AM

WTF your engine bay from what little I can see is like factory mint. Super jealous

#6 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

WTF your engine bay from what little I can see is like factory mint. Super jealous

Cheers - Its not too bad is it -Here's another pic

20180130_142114_zpsjhz3bh1b.jpg

And not too shabby underneath either - Bit of rust on the sump plug though !!!!

20170814_140631_zpso4ghf5oh.jpg

20170814_140542_zpstensivwc.jpg

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

Good god, has it even been driven once it left the factory?

Shameful!

#8 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

I have never had a problem with the copper colour studs , they are a different material from the z20let originals and seems to perform better. I just have some extensions and the torx socket , the copper style nuts are better too.

#9 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

I have never had a problem with the copper colour studs , they are a different material from the z20let originals and seems to perform better. I just have some extensions and the torx socket , the copper style nuts are better too.

really how did you manage to get the sockets onto the nuts. if you look at my first pic you can see the nut is really close to the manifold and no way a socket would go on

#10 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

right. looking at my torx sockets and the walls are quite thick maybe yours are thiner cheers for the info

#11 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:42 PM

right. looking at my torx sockets and the walls are quite thick maybe yours are thiner cheers for the info

You should be able to get an ordinary spanner onto most of them for the final tightening as well, it might only turn 20 degrees, but once hand lose you can do the rest with fingers.

How many miles has that car done?

Edited by Nev, 10 March 2019 - 03:47 PM.

#12 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:46 PM

You should be able to get an ordinary spanner onto most of them for the final tightening as well, it might only turn 20 degrees, but once hand lose you can do the rest with fingers.

#13 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:56 PM

I thought mine was clean... that is super lovely

#14 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:13 PM

Member since 2007 - garage jewellery.

#15 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

Member since 2007 - garage jewellery.

Bonkerz!

#16 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:12 PM

I wonder if the k04 casting is slightly different then to cause clearance issues on the original

#17 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:52 PM

I wonder if the k04 casting is slightly different then to cause clearance issues on the original

The manifold is original. ive not replaced it. maybe there are slight differences in them. anyway all done now just posted up as thought it may help someone i the future
cheers

#18 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:55 PM

okay , but I will use your idea of the male torx drive in future for the extra clearance , I used to use a pair of odd length short extensions to add some wobble to the ratchet drive

#19 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

okay , but I will use your idea of the male torx drive in future for the extra clearance , I used to use a pair of odd length short extensions to add some wobble to the ratchet drive

Ah Yeah can imagine that would help too 

Thanks for the info 

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

although the worst bit of the job , I find is getting underneath the vx to get at the big banjo bolt for the oil drain , trying to get a big bar and leverage access . you might want to consider changing the oil feed pipe that runs around the sump for the vxr one , the originals I have had 2 fail and bad engine fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users