Cl Rc5+ Pads

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:05 PM

Who has these pads on the road? Do they squeal like an absolute pig for you? I've just fitted a set and they were quiet at first and I was very impressed. However after about 200 miles they are squealing SO bad now at low speeds, just constant squeal while driving. I even can hear them squeaking quite a lot at like 50mph.

Is this normal? It's very embarrassing lol.

Edited by james4563, 19 March 2019 - 12:06 PM.

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

did you refit the anti-rattle spring plate?

its not normal for them to be noisy , that sounds more like a trapped bit of stone or something

#3 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,865 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:20 PM

I had that with different pads, it was suggested that I undertake some hard braking , and that actually fixed it

#4 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

A lip can also form on a pad.

Take it out and grind it off.

#5 rabbidog

rabbidog

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:05 PM

i have these, they have squealed from the day they were fitted ... with the anti-squeal pads from elise parts.

I had that with different pads, it was suggested that I undertake some hard braking , and that actually fixed it

Will try this when the car comes out from winter hibernation.

Edited by rabbidog, 19 March 2019 - 11:05 PM.

#6 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

did you replace disks at the same time , otherwise that will be the main reason , need to lay down a new surface of the pad friction material on the disk

#7 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

Double post!

Edited by coldel, 20 March 2019 - 09:17 AM.

#8 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

As an aside have you gone through a good bedding in procedure? Head out onto motorways and use slips roads to accelerate up and brake right down a number of times braking at different pressures (obviously when the roads are quiet) to bed the pads in properly to avoid some of the issues outlined above. AP website has an example procedure here http://www.apracing....73&ProductID=30

#9 RossD

RossD

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

Mine made a little bit of noise at low speed under gentle braking, otherwise fine in the limited miles I did on them.

It would be interesting to see how long these last for you - I had read the horror stories about them breaking up when used long-term, but put it down to a few isolated cases. However I've just had to swap out all 8 pads on my VX as one of the front pads broke up and 2 others were close behind. Just keep an eye on them if you are going to be using them long-term (i.e. over 6 months!)

#10 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

Before fitting these I always file a small angle on the leading edge as well as the other things suggested. Never had any squealing off several sets of cl5+ and am about to fit them to my current car.

Martin S

#11 rabbidog

rabbidog

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:18 PM

did you replace disks at the same time , otherwise that will be the main reason , need to lay down a new surface of the pad friction material on the disk

New pagid discs, fitted by BOT along with pads. Bedded in initially by jez on the way to and from the MOT around the estate lol, only done 300ish miles since maybe they will settle down.
At least the mrs wont come in it now, too embarraased.
Doesnt bother me that much, it stops well.

#12 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:19 PM

I've used CL5+ for approx. 6 years and they have never made a loud noise, they sometimes rattle around a bit, even with buffers, and occassionally make a light squeal noise but never loud.  1144's were 10x louder :)

#13 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:39 PM

Interesting comments.

I didn't have new discs, the discs are about 1 year old and they are ecb grooved discs. There was a slight lip which has actually worn slightly into the new CL pads due to them being bigger than the previous mintex pads.

On advise from Elise shop I removed the discs yesterday and sanded the discs with fine paper to remove residue from the mintex pads. Apparently they are very different compounds and can cause some issues with the way the pad works.

However I still have terrible squealing at around 30mph or less. Seems to be only the passenger side. They squeal everytime after the first mile or so when coming to a stop unless I nearly lock the wheels 🤣

I haven't got the buffers, but I will try them.

Ormes what discs are you using? Oem?

Edited by james4563, 20 March 2019 - 08:40 PM.

#14 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:03 PM

I am using standard size (288?) pagid coated disks with J Hooks machined into them... from a company that I believe went bust a few years ago.

#15 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

I am using standard size (288?) pagid coated disks with J Hooks machined into them... from a company that I believe went bust a few years ago.

...and they've only ever been used with CL5+

#16 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:28 PM

Interesting.

I noticed this morning that it seems to only be the passenger side making all the noise. It's making a continuous squeek even when not braking and just driving along. In fact I can hear it when the car is jacked up and I soon the wheel. Worsens the more it warms up, actually braking at a junction makes a god awful amount of screeching.

That's pretty weird because my mintex pads were making noise that side when low but drivers side was even more worn but never making any noise. Wonder if the disc is warped or something on passenger side.

Edited by james4563, 21 March 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#17 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:33 PM

bearing? , did you have a bolt fitted through the centre of the hub to the back of the bearing , some have them fitted

#18 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:09 PM

Do you mean a bolt holding the disc in place?

#19 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:34 PM

Do you mean a bolt holding the disc in place?

no this is a great big bolt that goes through the centre of the hub to the back , its to support the bearing pack.

if the bearings has gone , then you would get the disc moving about

if the brake disc had a lip on the edge on the outside , then it will be much worse on the inside , it could be this which is grinding

#20 james4563

james4563

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

Don't have any bearing support bolts I don't think, just a hole where the driveshaft would be.
Bearings didn't seem to have any play I'll double check again later though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users