• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 10:31 PM

Just taking the clam off for engine upgrades and noticed the suspensions wishbones etc are showing signs of corrosion after a refurb and powder coat 2 years ago.

Want this car to be spot on, so likely to strip down and passivate next winter - and may do the subframe at the same time. 2 quick questions:

Once the clam is off and suspension striped down, how much more work is needed to remove the subframe too?

With the subframe off, what are the best options for treating? I am not impressed with the way the wishbones have worn...

Mat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:53 AM

with the suspension removed it's not much more work to remove the subframe, just the four bolts holding it to the chassis and the engine/gearbox mounts. Plus you need to remove the brake pipes first.

You need to remove the side mounts to gain access to the upper bolt. The trick is to refit the mount after you have removed the top bolt, then remove the rear gearbox mount and finally the lower bolts.

I painted my subframe with engine paint, it has lasted very well, but my car never goes out in the wet.

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

I zinc plated all my wishbones. I went for triple plate and passivate so I never have to do them again. Most places just single plate. You could do the subframe as well but I believe they are hot-dipped from new so I see no reason not to just re-dip it. There may be worries about warping which could sway you to electroplate though.

#4 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:04 AM

Rear subframe done and shim plate changed and treated by vocky 😊😊

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users