Switch For Abs Cutoff

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

I'm wanting to put in a switch in the infamous yellow wire to control the ABS operation, however I can't find a suitable switch - bloody Maplin closing down, they were ideal for this sort of thing!

Can someone suggest a suitable automotive switch I can use to add in between the yellow wire, and where to get one please?  Many thanks!

#2 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:01 AM

Ebay

#3 Allan

Allan

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

Following this as I might do similar.

I could go on ebay but not sure what is the best switch, I haven't seen any installed. Where is best to position it too?

Thanks.

#4 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:49 AM

Is hard to see what's good quality on eBay and Amazon, they have a lot of fake Chinese junk. Also, I can't find the correct switch, what is it called? I've been looking for "in-line switch" but never get anything like that.

Cheers!

#5 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

Just stick a couple of bullet connectors in the necessary cables and connect/disconnect as needed.

#6 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

Or a simple rocker/toggle switch from Halfords for £2.90 does the job and fit nicely under the bonnet in the hole by the fuse box

#7 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:29 PM

Just stick a couple of bullet connectors in the necessary cables and connect/disconnect as needed.

^^ this

#8 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

Or a simple rocker/toggle switch from Halfords for £2.90 does the job and fit nicely under the bonnet in the hole by the fuse box

This ^^^

#9 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:17 PM

Heya, my issue with the rocker switch/bullet connector solutions is that I could only find solutions where the connectors are exposed, and carry the risk of earthing the wire, I can't find an enclosed rocker/bullet connector - for example, the rocker switches I've found look something like this - where would I be able to find the right switch?

Can't find any rocker switch on Halfords' website, am I missing something?

Many thanks!

#10 alesaux

alesaux

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

Hi, just seen this post and I'm intrigued. This is the first I have heard on this topic. what will switching the yellow ABS wire do? does it completley turn off the ABS? If you do this will you get the ABS warning light on the dash or will this also stop the ABS light coming on? Sorry for my lack knowledge

#11 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

Hi, just seen this post and I'm intrigued. This is the first I have heard on this topic. what will switching the yellow ABS wire do? does it completley turn off the ABS? If you do this will you get the ABS warning light on the dash or will this also stop the ABS light coming on? Sorry for my lack knowledge

When you're doing spirited driving in the dry, the ABS computer will occasionally enter "ice" mode and go off at light pedal pressures, effectively disabling the brakes.  This happened to me 4 times when I was on the Bedford Autodrome track, until I pulled the sensor connector at the front wheel when I nearly plowed into the back of a MX-5.

Simply pulling the fuse will disable other important safety features (IIRC, the speedometer & the dynamic brake proportioning), so the best way is to cut the yellow wire which will disable just the ABS.  It will show the ABS light in the dashboard, which, I believe, is a MoT failure, so need the switch back on for driving in the rain or for the MoT.

A better solution would be to get an ABS unit from the VXR200 or Exige (or Evora? I might be wrong) which is a simple, straight swap that don't touch the hydraulics at all and don't have this brake disabling "feature", but it costs about £500.

Edited by Eddles, 04 May 2019 - 07:05 PM.

#12 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

Putting a break in any of the wheel sensor wires (apart from NSR iirc as this provides speed signal) or the locations mentioned will disable the ABS and illuminate the check symbol on the dash. Some owners choose to do this as the oem calibration can on occasion function undesirably depending on the model year, wheel/tyre combo etc. As soon as you rejoin the wires or flip the switch normal operation should be resumed and the light will extinguish within driving a few yards. DO NOT break the wire when the ignition is on else you will have a permantly lit light than can only be taken off again through op-com.

This from Halfords is all you need or any cheaper equivalent from ebay. Along with a couple of spade connectors like this

#13 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

This from Halfords is all you need or any cheaper equivalent from ebay. Along with a couple of spade connectors like this

Oooh I see now!  So it doesn't matter that the switch is in an enclosure or something?  I presume it needs to be secured with cable ties?  Many thanks!

#14 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

This is the one I used back in the day.
https://www.halfords...r-switch-16-amp

Cut wire, add insulated female spade connectors and attach to switch which fits nicely into a small hole you will see by the fuse box

#15 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:12 PM

That switch can be neatly flush panel mounted in a convenient bit of trim plastic within the vicinity you choose to install it or you can simply leave it floating inline with the wire and secure with cable ties and insulation tape. You can squeeze fit those female spades with pliers if you don’t have a proper crimping tool.

#16 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

Yeah, will leave it floating for now as MoT is due in a couple weeks time, but will do a Proper Job with a switch on the dashboard later on.

Many thanks all!

#17 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

This is the one I used back in the day.
https://www.halfords...r-switch-16-amp

Cut wire, add insulated female spade connectors and attach to switch which fits nicely into a small hole you will see by the fuse box

That would be a better option purely due to it being less of a ball ache to drill a circular hole for fitment Vs a rectangular cut out for the one I linked to. 👍

#18 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

Spade connectors on mine. Don't want to draw attention to turning off a safety device in my opinion. Not sure how an insurance company would view it in the event of an accident.

#19 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

Spade connectors on mine. Don't want to draw attention to turning off a safety device in my opinion. Not sure how an insurance company would view it in the event of an accident.

Not to be an arse, but I'm not sure insurance companies would miss or disregard spade connectors as opposed to a switch?

#20 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:51 PM

Be an arse as much as you like mate. As the wire to be cut is part of a loom the connectors can be hidden very easily and you would have to know that it's the wire controlling the ABS. A little more subtle than a switch on the dash saying "ABS ON/OFF".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users