Bl**dy Cars

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Benz

Benz

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

Please do not laugh...my normal car is a 2.2d Evoque (got to keep Mrs B and Miss B happy...).  It has now done 39k miles.

This morning, I left home and drove onto the 'main' road...and pressed the throttle a bit more to get up to 60.  PING!  Orange warning light 'Restricted Performance' and much lethargy.

Luckily, there is a local garage who also deal in LR products who were able to accept the Evoque into their workshop this morning, but due to booking, unlikely to complete any required repair until Friday.  However, they were going to get it onto their diagnostic machine asap this morning. 

The mechanic suggested they had met with this issue a number of times and mentioned split pipes or sensor issues most common.

So....I'm sitting here wondering what the issue is, whether it is fixable and how many pennies will it cost me.... 

Cars are great until they stop working...

#2 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

Still under warranty?

#3 Benz

Benz

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

No, it is a 2012 model, owned by us since 12k miles

#4 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Ask him for the P code he get out of the ECU, you can then look up the likely culpit and solutions (and get an idea of cost).

#5 AlfaAversion

AlfaAversion

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

Nothing like a modern diesel for problems , we've got a customer at the moment(not LR) that may need a new fuel system due to metal contamination.....20k 😮
Hopefully yours will be something easy split dpf pipes or something

#6 rabbidog

rabbidog

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

I suspect even with a fault code to go by, it could be a number of different things causing the issue, which is typical of modern diesels. Hopefully the garage you have taken it to will have some investigative knowledge and past experience and not insist on changing out a load of parts/components (cheapest first of course).

Hopefully in your case it will be simple to diagnose.

#7 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

Had a Volvo xc60 diesel with similar symptoms. Was an exhaust sensor... Hope it's something as easy for you.

#8 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

Blocked particle filter ? Does it get many good long runs ?
60 mph for 15 mins or more

#9 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts
  • Interests:Northants Pedantic Crew global domination of the media.

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

By the end of my ownership of an Alfa 159 Ti with a 2.4 diesel lump I used to have to force a regen every month or so by running it constantly above 3000rpm from junction 15 of the M1 up to junction 21 or 22! Bloody joke.

#10 rabbidog

rabbidog

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

Good shout this one, thinking about it now, colleague of the wife had a diesel evoque from new and had numerous occasions of blocked DPF.  She only did short journeys most of the time, the dealer suggested she traded it in for a petrol.

#11 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

I’m familiar with this engine.

My money will be on a blocked DPF or a EGR issue.

But it’s a Land Roger so likely to be expensive... ☹️

#12 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

EGR my money is on, service a friends evoque and he had the same.

#13 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:26 PM

By the end of my ownership of an Alfa 159 Ti with a 2.4 diesel lump I used to have to force a regen every month or so by running it constantly above 3000rpm from junction 15 of the M1 up to junction 21 or 22! Bloody joke.

Looking at second hand 159 Sportwagons at the moment as a daily shed. How did you find it overall Wolfy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:48 AM

Looking at second hand 159 Sportwagons at the moment as a daily shed. How did you find it overall Wolfy?

I had it for about 2 years. To be honest it was a bit fragile. Lovely when it wasnt in the dealership being fixed though. Luckily mine was under warranty every time! However I sold it just as it came out of warranty. And by that time it was having automatic gearbox problems. Coming to a stop it would sometimes get jammed and not engage reverse! And at other times it would stall pulling up to junctions.

The Ti version is the spec to aim for but they eat front tyres (every 7000 miles) which are a very specific size (bit like the VX) and cost £250 each.

Fuel economy on the 2.4 diesel I had wasn't great. Maximum I ever saw on a very long motorway journey was about 42mpg.

The dealership network is very thin and in my experience very poor. I had to threaten the Northampton dealer with court for trying to scam me on brakes at a service.

Would I have one (or any other Alfa) again? No. But as they say, you're not a true petrol head until you've owned an Alfa. I've owned two now. :lol:

Edited by Wolfstone, 17 May 2019 - 08:52 AM.

#15 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:52 AM

I had it for about 2 years. To be honest it was a bit fragile. Lovely when it wasnt in the dealership being fixed though. Luckily mine was under warranty every time! The Ti version is the spec to aim for but they eat front tyres (every 7000 miles) which are a very specific size (bit like the VX) and cost £250 each. Fuel economy on the 2.4 diesel I had wasn't great. Maximum I ever saw on a very long motorway journey was about 42mpg. The dealership network is very thin and in my experience very poor. I had to threaten the Northampton dealer with court for trying to scam me on brakes at a service. Would I have one again? No. But as they say, you're not a true petrol head until you've owned an Alfa. I've owned two now. :lol:

Interesting cheers.

I’m looking at either the 1.9 or 2.4 and not overly bothered by spec. Probs aim for the 1.9 for the fuel economy. I avoid dealers at all costs.

I had a 156 Sportback year ago and loved it for what is was.

#16 Wolfstone

Wolfstone

Iceman

• 12,984 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

I had a 156 2.0 JTS in Lusso spec before the 159!

#17 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

I had a 1.9d GT . Was economical enough but nothing special. Did eat the front tryes as well as having lots of little gremlins. Nothing that kept it off the road tho. Little like a vx!

#18 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:06 PM

I just need a wagon to ferry the dogs around in and all my band equipment that looks a bit sharper than the usual boring estates.

#19 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

Been running a 159 2.4 diesel sport wagon for 5 years first 6 months had the egr and dpf modified and remap to 230 bhp bern great since and not given any problems except the usual top front wishbone bushes but they are easy to change and about 50 quid and 2 glow plugs just had the cam belt done lovely car to drive

Edited by christhegasman, 17 May 2019 - 01:02 PM.

#20 AlfaAversion

AlfaAversion

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:17 PM

One thing to look out for on the 159 /Brera these days apart from everything else is the front subframe and metal bits rad mounts air filter bracket rusting away . You can't see it because of the under tray but I've seen a few now one guy decided to scrap it .
The 2.4 wasn't great in the 159 imho , I found the1.9 just nicer to drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users