17 replies to this topic

#1 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

...take the car on a track.

Some mates of mine who I did a Euro road trip with last year are looking to get all the cars together again and do a track day and a night over for beers. I said I wouldn't track my car, but given how much it has to give I am tempted to actually do it.

I am a complete noob, never tracked my own car before only done the experience day things with an instructor next to me. Guess the question is what do I need to do to my car before tracking it, at the moment it has nearly new Kumho tyres, decent amount of pad left on the brakes which I believe are a form of Mintex (will need to check what ones) - I have read about rear toe links fragility, I think mine are original spec. What else should I consider?

#2 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

Toe links for spitfire ones

brake fluid change - Ate type 200 from euro car parts is good price/performance compromise

Helmet

Consider a starter track - I highly recommend Blyton park

Are you Richmond Yorkshire ?

If so pm me your phone number i will add you to our Yorkshire track day group

#3 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

Toe links
Hub Carrier bolts
Brake fluid flush
ABS disable
Gearbox breather
Trackday insurance

#4 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

Richmond Surrey unfortunately, so a fair way from most of the tracks. The lads are all northerners (Manchester, Leeds etc.) so will be probably doing a track in the midlands or north east. Will be a long day though in the car.

#5 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

Toe links
Hub Carrier bolts
Brake fluid flush
ABS disable
Gearbox breather
Trackday insurance

Thanks, ABS disable? Pull the fuse?

#6 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:32 PM

Toe links
Hub Carrier bolts
Brake fluid flush
ABS disable
Gearbox breather
Trackday insurance

Thanks, ABS disable? Pull the fuse?

Seem to recall pulling the fuse messes up the idle ? Sure someone else with more knowledge can comment.

Disconnecting the ABS sensor at the front drivers side hub and fold out of the way always worked fine for me.

The neater solution is to get a switch fitted on the plastic spar near the radiator that taps into the wiring bundle.

ABS light OFF = bad. Hard pedal sometimes on track. ABS light ON = good. No hard pedal.

#7 Curtiscraddock

Curtiscraddock

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:31 AM

Be silly not to track it!

I recentlyish went to Brands hatch for my first track day. Normal day not novice and had to jump straight in. On sighting lap I was like - sh*t this is fast for a sighting lap! Intimidating coming out of pits for first time but fine after that.

Changed my brake fluid before hand and had a bit of loss of pedal feel before end of day. I had low pads before track day but decided to finish them off on track instead of replacing. (Left ABS as was not too bad for me)

My tyres were kumho ecsta and everyone told me to replace for some track tyres as grip would be better but I didnt have the money. For the forst half of day I thought they were excellent for me. Second half they mustve just got to hot as car was sliding a lot towards the end but wasnt a problem but could see why people would say change them.

Didnt change toe links - again because of money up to you to take risk I just kept off kerbs. And maybe my tyres wernt sticky enough to put too much force through them maybe?

Think I used insure my track day and was suprisingly cheap and put my mate and my Dad on it (different story!)

I just drove to Nurburgring for my stag do and was awesome so do that as well. It was really cool and not overhyped at all in my opinion amd it was absolutely hammering it down and no injuries! Also went out in a project 8 and couldnt believe the grip in the wet!

#8 Allan

Allan

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:17 AM

I was much the same when I got my VX. Tempted but wary, despite having loved doing a few track days in my previous MX5.

However, recommendations above are spot on. I said I wouldn't do one until the hub carrier bolts were changed and the toe links were upgraded. I got Spitfire toe links, lovely bit of engineering, and did my first track day at Blyton last year.

It was great and I'm looking to book another soon.

My brakes did go "off" so I've had the fluid changed. Hopefully that will help and I didn't get any "hard pedal" but I might disconnect the driver's side ABS sensor this time.

You don't need to hammer the car, just build up at your own pace and take frequent breaks. I found that I got slightly better each lap, up to a point, and then got worse so came in for a rest and a think.

You will really enjoy it and feel much more confident in your car when you go back on the road.

Allan

#9 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:01 AM

Thanks Allan, much appreciated. The guys are looking to track in June which I think is too soon, I might get the toe links and carrier bolts done (any recommend to do the work in the south east near me in Richmond Surrey) is it a big job or can be done with just taking the wheels off? - brake fluid should be easy enough to do. I do have Kumho Ecsta tyres and wonder if for the first time I just use those rather than throwing money at a set of track tyres. I am liking the idea of understanding the car a bit more, I tend to tip toe around in it on the road.

#10 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

All good advice above. Toe links and hub carrier bolts are essentials. Loads of info on here about both, as well as a few threads about track day prep. These cars are made for the track - you really don’t know what you’ve got until your out there, having dropped off the instructor, who encouraged you to take corners faster than you considered possible, pushing it even further. Absolute magic!

#11 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:45 AM

How do I know if I have a tapered or parallel uprights when ordering the kits? My VX is an 05 plate turbo

#12 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

My bad, think I just found something on here that helps, jack up car remove rear wheels for install.

#13 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

Your kumho tyres will be fine, that's what I used first time.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

#14 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

How do I know if I have a tapered or parallel uprights when ordering the kits? My VX is an 05 plate turbo

Tapered = later.  My 04 Tubby has tapered.

#15 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Ormes

#16 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:48 PM

Back on track would be your best bet, they're near Guildford.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

#17 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

Definately disable the ABS.  My confidence was at zero around Castle Combe after a few really very hairy moments... hard pedal into tower at 120mph really isn't fun.  Disabled the ABS for my next track day and absolutely transformed the consistency /predictability of braking and never once experienced hard pedal since (6 TDs later).

#18 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

You will love it.

Release the beast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users