• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:58 AM

On my last track event I realize the car is becomming a fast car and faster it will get.

And I start to really feel the need for a better seat.

My modified OEM seat isnt good enough.

First Id like to look for a second hand seat and if I cant find anything I will need to buy a new one.

But is there any list with seats that fits our cars without needing to modify the cars except for

seat brackets?

Or we create a list based on ppls experience.

Br, Per

#2 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

It will be a little while but I've just started a new project to produce a new Lotus/VX compatible seat. It will be modified to go as low to the floor as possible using standard rails. Has Haynes cutouts of course.

#3 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

Interesting, Will it also be able to use with the std 3p belt system.

Haynes cutouts, what is this? Cutout for 4-6p Harness?

It will be a little while but I've just started a new project to produce a new Lotus/VX compatible seat. It will be modified to go as low to the floor as possible using standard rails. Has Haynes cutouts of course.

#4 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

In terms of lightness, the Reverie Mulsanne are the ones to get but I found them really painful.

For me the best are Tilletts and I prefer them in comfort to the oem and even probax. I run the B5 pictured or if you need more leg support look at B6. They mount on the runners with minor fettling. Only snags... they recline a little more you need to remove the foam padding behind the headrests in the car (not the metal just the padding) and I can't get the centre console to fit if you want to slide the seat forward. I'm short and also use the shelf to store the roof so I just run with the gear mech exposed it's no issue. Cup holder stays.

35492085013_c2fce09877_z.jpg

36013984622_fbdc7fbaa3_h.jpg

Edited by pete-r, 06 July 2019 - 08:59 AM.

#5 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:42 AM

Sorry yes harnesses will be able to run belts as well.

I would agree with Peter that the reverie seats are the best for lightness they are incredible considering the rigidity. Ive just fitted tillets in my track car over the reveries as it was a quicker solution to get the seat as low as possible in the car as the reveries were too high and would have needed bespoke side mounts to work for me. The tillets are very heavy though so will probably take them out at some point.

#6 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

This looks like to Little leg support, even worse then my current seat and my legs are moving all around.

In terms of lightness, the Reverie Mulsanne are the ones to get but I found them really painful.

For me the best are Tilletts and I prefer them in comfort to the oem and even probax. I run the B5 pictured or if you need more leg support look at B6. They mount on the runners with minor fettling. Only snags... they recline a little more you need to remove the foam padding behind the headrests in the car (not the metal just the padding) and I can't get the centre console to fit if you want to slide the seat forward. I'm short and also use the shelf to store the roof so I just run with the gear mech exposed it's no issue. Cup holder stays.

35492085013_c2fce09877_z.jpg

36013984622_fbdc7fbaa3_h.jpg

#7 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:14 AM

Sounds like Tillet is the way to go.

How Heavy is Heavy, I mean saving weight is Always nice but the seats are in the right Place.

And OEM seat are like 8kg each, which is not too Heavy.

My focus will be to save weight in the rear end. (Of the cars  :-)   )

Sounds like Tillet B6 is the seat I need

If not your seat will be available during maybe Winter.

Does anyone know if a Sparco Rev fits into our cars?

Sorry yes harnesses will be able to run belts as well.

I would agree with Peter that the reverie seats are the best for lightness they are incredible considering the rigidity. Ive just fitted tillets in my track car over the reveries as it was a quicker solution to get the seat as low as possible in the car as the reveries were too high and would have needed bespoke side mounts to work for me. The tillets are very heavy though so will probably take them out at some point.

#8 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:15 AM

Buy the B6 then...

B6-44-Carbon-GRP-2014-model-with-side-mo

#9 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:32 AM

If you are concerned on weight be careful how old you go. The Tilletts were re engineered in around 2016 and now 2kg lighter.

Currently model B5 is 4.2kg.
Side mount B5 screamer is 6.1kg.

Reverie by comparison is 2.9kg or 3kg depending on shape.

I wouldn't worry about weight savings and get the seat you prefer the feel of. Being comfy in the car is way more important.

If you want to lose weight in the car have a look at the wheel swap in my build thread. I swapped to forged wheels and 4 bolt hubs and saved around 19kg from standard in unsprung mass.

Edited by pete-r, 07 July 2019 - 08:40 AM.

#10 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:36 AM

Worth noting that the tillets can be purchased without the rolled lip which might enable you to retain the centre console?

#11 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:59 AM

The MOG seats I have weigh less than 3.1kg

#12 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:42 PM

Whats the name of the seat?

The MOG seats I have weigh less than 3.1kg

#13 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

Id like a seat something similar to this.

So you wont have any problem to use the 3p belt.

IaTXgfa.png

#14 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:36 AM

I made a seat based on the S1 seat. Slightly narrower than the VX seat and feels pretty good. The mould is sat around if anyone wants a pull out of it.

One of the things I've noticed with seats is that there's a lot of variation with rigidity. The Tillets are rock solid compared to most and some of the lighter ones are more flexible. IIRC the tillets are the only twin skin seat from those that have been mentioned. I added a reinforcer up the back of mine but it didn't do a massive amount.

#15 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:55 AM

I made a seat based on the S1 seat. Slightly narrower than the VX seat and feels pretty good. The mould is sat around if anyone wants a pull out of it.

Jonnyboy?  :poke:

#16 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:39 PM

What about Tillet B1, do they fit into VX220?

Judging by the Picture, they seem to have good back and leg support and accept 3p belts.

n0AsJEV.jpg

Br, Per

#17 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:24 AM

Have anyone fitted an non Lotus seat like the Spraco Rev for example?

What abut Tillet B1, looks like it works together with the 3 point seatbelt, which I prefer. Anyone here tried it?

Also which are the critical dimensions to make a std race seat fit into our cars?

Br, Per

#18 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

Also which are the critical dimensions to make a std race seat fit into our cars?

Shoulder width is the most critical to fit 2 seats in the narrow cabin with the seat base length coming a close second with it hitting the gear lever/handbrake tunnel. (if you want to rip out the passenger seat and run a single seat then most can be made to fit..)

The original seats are quite narrow at the top compared to 99% of the off the shelf race seats out there.

Also the original seats are designed/shaped so that the bottom sinks below the level of the seat rails because on the Elise and Speedster the seat rail is mounted on the chassis beam so 'floating' (and angled) a few cm's from the actual floor.

This usually means that most regular seats need custom mounts to be able to get close to that or you sit too high.

The Cobra Racer 7 or Pro was pretty much the only regular aftermarket FIA seat that fitted (with special mounts) apart from the regular ones like Reverie, Tilett, etc.

racer-pro.jpg

racer-pro-spec.jpg

Bye, Arno.

#19 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

Buy the B6 then...

Make sure you can fit if you buy a B6, they can be quite narrow on the hips and have almost no give in the high sidewalls. Even some regular people can struggle to fit *cough* MBes *cough* :lol:

#20 Jordfräs

Jordfräs

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:15 PM

Per, I have a B6 with the cut edges. If you are near Linköping you can come and try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users