• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Simons

Simons

• Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Mechanic

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

Hi, I'm new here and at the end of this month, if the car is right, I'll buy a speedster turbo and introduce myself with car pictures and details. I came from Spain and I will go for it around 2000km far from my home😉

But I have a question about the stock 92º thermostat, how many of yours have them to drive the car in a city with its traffic jams or track days, specially in summer.

If anybody has de 82º or 87º thermostat, could tell me the temperature on highway?

Another thing is to change the thermocontact to work together with the cooler thermostat, to have an engine temperature around 92/95º in the city, but right now I didn't check one in catalogs or install a switch or an aftermarket one between the inlet radiator hose. What I pretend firstly is to have the thermostat totally open when the fan starts running.

82º reference with and without housing.

GATES - TH14982G1
QUINTON HAZELL - QTH600K/82

87º reference with housing, you need to remove the thermostat.

GATES - TH15087G1

Cheers
Simon

#2 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:16 AM

Changing the thermostat wont stop your car overheating in traffic (or when driving hard). To stop overheating, you need to make sure both your fans are working. Also, there is a mod to put a switch in the cabin, so the driver can switch the fans on manually.

Also, you need to be sure you have the OEM manufacturer water pump, some of the copy part pumps are less efficient and don't flow well enough.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Nev, 16 July 2019 - 04:17 AM.

#3 Bakazan

Bakazan

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:00 AM

The role of the thermostat is to stop the engine running too cool not too hot, as Nev said above in steady state conditions this will not help.

#4 Simons

Simons

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

Changing the thermostat wont stop your car overheating in traffic (or when driving hard). To stop overheating, you need to make sure both your fans are working. Also, there is a mod to put a switch in the cabin, so the driver can switch the fans on manually.

Also, you need to be sure you have the OEM manufacturer water pump, some of the copy part pumps are less efficient and don't flow well enough.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, If I feed the +12 fans straight from the battery you can manage more fan speed. 1'5/2 volts more will help a little bit. But firstly I need to check the real voltage.

Do you know the OEM water pump brand? Because Opel doesn't make water pumps😁

The role of the thermostat is to stop the engine running too cool not too hot, as Nev said above in steady state conditions this will not help.

Yes yes, but if you have the thermostat totally open firstly, the coolant can flow better. It isn't the same flow with totally open than an a half. I read that the 82º it's fully open at 97º and the stock one at 107º

#5 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

Valeo are the water pumps we used for the Z20LET. about £50 iirc

#6 Simons

Simons

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

Thanks!!

#7 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:39 AM

I would just run the car first and see how it behaves, it might be fine.  I live just north of the Pyrenees, not as hot as Spain but still hot with temperatures up to 36/37C at the moment, and I have no trouble with engine temperatures at all. 

#8 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:43 AM

Agreed. The capacity of the cooling system will not increase (if it needs too?) by changing thermostats. All you will achieve is poorer fuel economy.   

#9 Simons

Simons

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:30 AM

I would just run the car first and see how it behaves, it might be fine.  I live just north of the Pyrenees, not as hot as Spain but still hot with temperatures up to 36/37C at the moment, and I have no trouble with engine temperatures at all.

Ok, thanks. I'll see what happens here

Agreed. The capacity of the cooling system will not increase (if it needs too?) by changing thermostats. All you will achieve is poorer fuel economy.

I know, but you can have better flow to the radiator its the thermostat is fully open. Thermostat only allows the coolant go to the main radiator and keep the engine working at the correct temperature. If you want more capacity you can fit a bigger radiator and bigger surge tank but you will have the same engine temperature with more coolant in the circuit.

#10 Ragged Roy

Ragged Roy

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:VX220, classic Mini, Yamaha R1, Wakeboarding, Kitesurfing, Hairy Pussy/ Maine Coon (cat).

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:26 PM

I understand oil temperature to be more critical than water temperature. Most recomend oil to be 100deg C and water to be 90 deg C. I was once told that oil should be as hot as possible and water as cold as possible. Obviously that was a flippant comment as they still need to be within tolerances. 

#11 Simons

Simons

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

I agree with you, is a " little bit" flippant 😅

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users