Info Install Garw Dash

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:32 AM

Hi guys, I write from Italy, I have a vx220 2.2 with kit dbilas turbo.

I found a used garw ic7, previously mounted on a lotus s2.

Is it compatible with my car? Can I mount it? Need some adapters?

The seller sent me some photos, and I saw an adatattice with a written S2 05. Does this adapter also work well for the vx220 or do you need a specific adapter? I attach the adapter photo.

Thanks to those who will answer me.

Attached Files

#2 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

As answered elsewhere, it's probably compatible. This looks like the older type, I don't know if the S2 dash connector is the same as the VX. On the paper it should be compatible, but you may need to move a couple pins around in the connector.

#3 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

Thank you for the answer.

do you know where i can find the diagram of the pin out of the original stack?

I tried to search the forum but found nothing.

Thank you

#4 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

https://www.speedste...m/Instument.pdf

And for what I know the (older) Elise Stack dash panel has the same connector as the Speedster/VX220 Stack instruments...

(Not sure on the newer models that are CAN driven)

Edited by Exmantaa, 23 July 2019 - 10:59 AM.

#5 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

Yes, I also read that the stack elise s2 dashboard with rover k engine is practically the same as that of the vx220, same signals for speed and water temperature.

thanks for the link, I found it, but I thought it was wrong.

I can't read it ... I don't understand anything :(

#6 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

You can reassign some of the pins through the dash software directly. You just have to make sure the right pin type connects to the right pin from the dash to the original connector (12V on 12V, Active High on Active High etc). You could also contact Garw to order just the adapter. He is slow to reply to emails.

https://docs.google....it?usp=drivesdk

I made this a while ago to map inputs between the software on the dash and the actual physical pins.

#7 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:27 PM

A1-10 and B1-10 are the pin numbers of the connector.

#8 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:17 PM

You can reassign some of the pins through the dash software directly. You just have to make sure the right pin type connects to the right pin from the dash to the original connector (12V on 12V, Active High on Active High etc). You could also contact Garw to order just the adapter. He is slow to reply to emails.

https://docs.google....it?usp=drivesdk

I made this a while ago to map inputs between the software on the dash and the actual physical pins.

I know that garw is slow, I tried to contact him but I didn't get an answer. I'll try again. Buying the adapter from him is the last thing I will do, in case it doesn't work with the lotus adapter.

I decided to buy, I realized that in one way or another you can make it work. For the pins, I understand, but I can't match the pin out of the garw and the stack. sorry but I'm not very practical about these things.

I know that garw is slow, I tried to contact him but I didn't get an answer. I'll try again. Buying the adapter from him is the last thing I will do, in case it doesn't work with the lotus adapter.

#9 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

Did you already plug it in?

The main pins (+12v, RPM, ABS speed signal, fuel level etc.), should be the same between an S2 and the VX dash.

But you most likely will have some issues with the difference in signal forms. The VX engine temp signal f.i. is some kind of PWM form and not a voltage.

#10 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

Is it a voltage on the S2? Anyways, it is as simple as disengaging a pair of pins and switching them around

#11 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:38 PM

Zaimon, if you want to send me the adapter, I can compare it to mine and maybe modify the pinning.

#12 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:05 AM

Single big plug and '2005 S2' is a bit confusing as at that time only the Toyota-Elises with the big plug and a smaller separate CAN connector were being sold. The Rover powered S2's (2001 - 2004) should have the same connector on the back of the STACK as the VX.

Both use a PWM coolant temperature signal and both use/get a TTL square-wave signal for the vehicle speed and AFAIK all pins for the warning lights are also the same.

So if the Garw dash was originally from a Rover powered S2 it will most likely work 'as is' in the VX. Just the RPM gauge goes a little further on an Elise than on a VX, but that's about it.. ;)

If it was used in a Toyota powered S2 then it will be set up to get part of the data from the CAN connection in that car and probably needs re-configuring for use in the VX.

Bye, Arno.

#13 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

Zaimon, if you want to send me the adapter, I can compare it to mine and maybe modify the pinning.

Thank you Martin, but i live in Italy

At the moment I'm take info, I don't have a garw yet.

I have confirmed the purchase and should receive it next week.

The first thing I will do is try it with the adapter that will give me the seller, hoping it will work.

if it doesn't work, I'll try to change the pins or wait for a garw adapter.

let's say that I am currently take info about the future.

sorry if I write badly in English, but I use google translate.

Edited by zaimon83, 24 July 2019 - 08:44 AM.

#14 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

Single big plug and '2005 S2' is a bit confusing as at that time only the Toyota-Elises with the big plug and a smaller separate CAN connector were being sold. The Rover powered S2's (2001 - 2004) should have the same connector on the back of the STACK as the VX.

Both use a PWM coolant temperature signal and both use/get a TTL square-wave signal for the vehicle speed and AFAIK all pins for the warning lights are also the same.

So if the Garw dash was originally from a Rover powered S2 it will most likely work 'as is' in the VX. Just the RPM gauge goes a little further on an Elise than on a VX, but that's about it.. ;)

If it was used in a Toyota powered S2 then it will be set up to get part of the data from the CAN connection in that car and probably needs re-configuring for use in the VX.

Bye, Arno.

Hi Arno,

I'm sure the s2 mounts the rover engine. Maybe I remember the adapter badly. The photo I put is taken from the internet, I don't have the garw in my hand yet.

what a pleasure to read your words, in theory everything should be compatible without modifying anything. I can't wait to try.

#15 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

Mate, you can also take good pictures of the adapter wiring when you receive it, so we can look at the correspondence between the pins on both sides of the adaptor. I'm in Germany BTW so not too far!

#16 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

In the week I should receive garw. On the weekend or next week I will try to install it. I'll keep you up-to-date. Meanwhile, thanks for the support :)

#17 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

Hi guys,

I received the garw. at the weekend I will try to mount it.
The adapter I received, above is written s2 01. should be the one for rover K.

An info, is it possible to reset the garw? Restore it to factory settings? This garw has been used and has data from the previous owner.

Attached Files

#18 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:38 AM

You can reset the settings, but not the odometer. You can however update the odometer 10x before it doesn't let you do it. You can also flash the new updated firmware on it, I would recommend you download the manual for this. Also if you have the possibility, take pictures of your harness adapter and either put them there or PM me so I can check it is identical to a VX's.

#19 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

Ok thank you.

so the odometer can be modified 10 times before it stops?

For the adapter, I didn't understand what photo you need ...

#20 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:25 AM

I think, yes. There is a menu that list all the changes that have been made.

Take a picture showing where the wires of the adapter go from one plug to the next one, so I can see which pins of the VX connector are connected to which pins of the dash connector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users