56 replies to this topic

#41 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,862 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

Cheers Smiley, yes that ebay one did look suspect the label didnt make sense. Good research skills!

So how much are these units from Lotus new? Silly money I presume?

I would like to attempt my first ever track day this year, but need to get ABS and Toe Links done first...

Just disconnect the ABS for track

#42 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:45 PM

Then flat spot your tyres when you screw up. VOE :ffs: 

#43 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,862 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:42 PM

Then flat spot your tyres when you screw up. VOE :ffs:

Cadence braking

#44 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 11:50 PM

Too late. I don’t have 20Hz feet.

#45 Krusty

Krusty

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:18 AM

4 channel is a waste of time on track, still get hard pedal so have to turn it off

#46 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:27 AM

4 channel is a waste of time on track, still get hard pedal so have to turn it off

I have to disagree. My experience is quite different. Standard disks and RC6, you can stamp on them and the braking is insane, even in the wet. Never had a problem with it!

I’d say it’s one of the best mods money can buy.

#47 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:07 AM

There’s something wrong if that’s the case. Check the part number!

#48 Extrapilot

Extrapilot

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, performance fossil fuel burning

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:34 AM

I am waiting on this VXR 4 channel unit to arrive, paid for on PayPal with a chap I don't know so I hope that it is a genuine 4 channel unit and the chap selling it is decent? I will report on the difference. I have two sets of 16/17" team dynamics wheels and the 'winter' set has rain-sport tyres so it will be interesting to experience the hopeful improvement. The car might do 0-60 in under 4 seconds but it takes several minutes to stop 😀😬

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

#49 piwo

piwo

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

http://www.vx220.org...xige-abs/page-5

#50 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 05:00 PM

I am waiting on this VXR 4 channel unit to arrive, paid for on PayPal with a chap I don't know so I hope that it is a genuine 4 channel unit and the chap selling it is decent? I will report on the difference. I have two sets of 16/17" team dynamics wheels and the 'winter' set has rain-sport tyres so it will be interesting to experience the hopeful improvement. The car might do 0-60 in under 4 seconds but it takes several minutes to stop 😀😬

I've heard your seller is a right dodgy geezer..  :lol:  ;)

#51 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 08:42 PM

You won’t see that money again!

#52 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:00 AM

Probably no longer available.

Lotus (well, GM actually..) went from the Kelsey-Hayes ABS system used on the VX and Toyota Elises up to 2011 to a BOSCH ABS system which is fundamentally different with a completely different computer, hydraulic unit and wheel sensors (hall effect vs. the old reluctance types)

So by now I suspect they have no pre-2011 ABS modules on stock anymore for older cars.

BTW.. For the track warriors... Fitting the BOSCH ABS wheel hubs from a 2012 and later GM/Lotus on a VX will make it possible to use the BOSCH M5 motorsport ABS kit: http://www.bosch-mot...3188578699.html

Stick on some yaw sensors and perhaps a steering angle sensor and you can have it do full stability control too..

Not cheap though.. (and you will need to dive into CAN...)

Bye, Arno.

#53 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

Probably no longer available.

Lotus (well, GM actually..) went from the Kelsey-Hayes ABS system used on the VX and Toyota Elises up to 2011 to a BOSCH ABS system which is fundamentally different with a completely different computer, hydraulic unit and wheel sensors (hall effect vs. the old reluctance types)

So by now I suspect they have no pre-2011 ABS modules on stock anymore for older cars.

BTW.. For the track warriors... Fitting the BOSCH ABS wheel hubs from a 2012 and later GM/Lotus on a VX will make it possible to use the BOSCH M5 motorsport ABS kit: http://www.bosch-mot...3188578699.html

Stick on some yaw sensors and perhaps a steering angle sensor and you can have it do full stability control too..

Not cheap though.. (and you will need to dive into CAN...)

Bye, Arno.

I recently wondered if you could get a partial loom, and various bits (incl. wheel speed sensors/ hubs) from a current gen Elise, and add stability control to an older VX.. Likely in theory, but practice expensive and probably not worth the effort..

#54 piwo

piwo

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:49 AM

Lotus 6012 ABS and race TCS are everything you need for track and road use.

#55 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:05 AM

I recently wondered if you could get a partial loom, and various bits (incl. wheel speed sensors/ hubs) from a current gen Elise, and add stability control to an older VX.. Likely in theory, but practice expensive and probably not worth the effort..

Yeah.. Would be quite an investment in time and effort especially as the later Elises are mostly CAN-based so you'd likely want/need to move a VX over to that as well for the engine management so the stability/traction control and ECU can 'talk' and you get the whole package of individual wheel brake control and engine torque 'adjustment' depending on the from the sensors feedback.

It's all quite doable IMHO and as a 'just because I can' project it would be great, but likely the outlay and effort would not make it useful for most people.

Bye, Arno.

#56 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:32 AM

Yeah.. Would be quite an investment in time and effort especially as the later Elises are mostly CAN-based so you'd likely want/need to move a VX over to that as well for the engine management so the stability/traction control and ECU can 'talk' and you get the whole package of individual wheel brake control and engine torque 'adjustment' depending on the from the sensors feedback.

It's all quite doable IMHO and as a 'just because I can' project it would be great, but likely the outlay and effort would not make it useful for most people.

Bye, Arno.

Yes it would be quite interesting.. And you could buy an ECU that will talk to operate the CAN systems but allow you a different engine (e.g. ECOTEC etc..), e.g.

https://www.scs-delt.../lotus-elise-s3

#57 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:37 PM

In the aviation world this wouldn't have been approved, and I it had, and was subsequently identified as an accident factor, the company would have had to implement a mandatory service directive (essentially fix it) although often not for free. Point is the car is actually dangerous with the standard 2 channel system

Automotive has that too through the safety recall programme.

I can only assume that the people who bought new were total pussies with their driving so the problem was not found till it was too late in the day.

😂🤣😂🤣

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users