• Please log in to reply
613 replies to this topic

#481 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:50 PM

Not that I planned on visiting any pubs etc. in the near future, but sod the 5 mile limit and restrictions from Nippy.. Plus I've a joiner coming round this week :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.u...otland-53666665

#482 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:36 PM

Jesus, did the BBC just employ a politically neutral health correspondent who's first instinct isn't to jump on the mass hysteria, hang the government as they're to blame for everything gravy train?

https://www.bbc.co.u...health-53656852

I'm not sure what I thought of past beeb as things may not have registered with me but current beeb seems to be on the same page as all the others: News must be sensationalised to make people take it in and it all seems very volatile.  It seems edited for emphasis to the point it's almost marketing.  Very disappointing.  Has it always been this way or have we become poor thinkers?

#483 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

I thought I should get a thermometer to see if I have this Covid lark, the only one I could find was a meat thermometer, current reading is rare beef, is this ok?

BeX9udbz.jpg

#484 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 05:36 PM

I thought I should get a thermometer to see if I have this Covid lark, the only one I could find was a meat thermometer, current reading is rare beef, is this ok?

BeX9udbz.jpg

where did you stick it?

#485 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:58 AM

So, its been quiet here for a while and we are now facing a second wave.  The restrictions on activity seem to be rather weak to me although I see some places are being very tough.

Our nursery called Cath out to pick up alice.  Her temp was 37.7.  Normal is supposedly 36.5-37.5 so she was officially hot.  NHS says 38 is a high temp and time for action.  We had to take her away and get a covid test or they wouldn't have her back.  She's negative thankfully but I will say that administering the covid test to a baby is a horrible experience.  Commence screaming!

ETA:  cath was told she would also have to self isolate for two weeks on unpaid leave unless she got Alice tested.  :angry2:

Edited by FLD, 25 September 2020 - 08:59 AM.

#486 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:17 AM

We had the same with our young 'un. Can't come back to nursery unless we have him and us tested. It was just a baby cold, he was sneezing and spluttering with no proper symptoms to match what has been released. It was a horrible ordeal for him and actually in the future we'll just ride out the two weeks. 

#487 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:49 PM

Still waiting to be proved wrong.

#488 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:03 PM

Too late Boris

#489 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:31 AM

It does seem somewhat ironic that this most basic of life forms (controversially thought so) has so quickly and effortlessly got the superior lifeform in all heaven and earth scurrying for cover. Perhaps a timely reminder that we are a part of the whole, not the whole beginning, middle, end and encore to and of, everything. 

The way i see it (and i know that i'm a mad un), is that life comes in many shapes and forms (many more than we are presently aware of) but the host life is the earth itself. Universally, when a working pattern and order to the formation and continuation of life is found through the cosmos (because i believe life to be universal), it's formula is adapted and replicated through other system linked lifeforms (such as all is to and on earth) and because our relationship with our host lifeform is non-existent, we are unable to take advantage of basic lessons obviously on offer from lifeforms millions of years older (and further advanced) than ourselves. We don't have a symbiotic relationship with any order of life, whether we recognise it or not, our superiority damages our ability to 'connect' as much as it does the conditions that originally spawned us.  

We, as a race, don't easily comply and harmonise with order (of any description), we attempt to bend it to our own concept of an acceptable compromise between our perceived known facts and presumed assumptions (or theories as they're liked to be titled). There is only one thing known for sure, by every scientist and boffin that ever was or will be (lol...i went big there)..and that is the inevitability of change...perhaps a conscious one on our behalfs is in order now Lol

#490 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:13 AM

'Symbiotic'...such a lovely word..symbiotic, symbiotic, symbiotic (there, got it out of my system now), talking of systems...

...i realise how wrong i am of course (see!...i even argue with myself! lol, madness). We do have systems body-wise which are to a large extent influenced and now reliant upon other life and the duality is! there, it is just not on our own volition. There is a whole army of little bleeders working away for, on and in us, from gut to goatee and whilst it does! make for some itchy (but interesting) reading sometimes, the possible parallels to our own symbiotic (got to use it again...phew, lol) relationships become apparent (that working pattern to order again). Eyelash mite are interesting macro munchers, as we humans strive and struggle to contain the destructive elements to our own existences, we paradoxically carry with us on our lashes one of the few lifeforms with zero emissions (blink and you miss it, lol).

...very much off topic there, apologies (guilty of thinking aloud..again, lol)   

#491 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 01 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

It will be interesting to see how we get through this winter. It's all gone a bit bonkers when the kids have gone back. In our house we all had a cold within 5 days of the kids return to school this was with routine washing of hands on coming into the house from outside and trying to be sensible when out and about. 

Covid fatigue is setting in for sure all the constant facebook noise and faux lack of understanding of the rules. "I cant go to me mums but I can meet her at the pub it doesn't make sense" well thicko it does make perfect sense because the restrictions are about reducing interactions and you don't need to know the exact ins and outs of the rules to know to just be sensible. I think localised lockdowns will be the order of the day like in Wales I think that will come to many parts of the country. 

Whatever your thoughts about the validity of the lockdown and how harmful the virus is the inescapable fact of the matter is that it fills up hospitals and regardless of all the wild conspiracies and amateur epidemiological research the fact is that if loads of people get it the hospitals get too busy and that's the tricky bit. 

I wouldn't like to be the one at the top having to make these decisions but I think a perhaps kind of cruel but quite logical thing to do would be to enforce a lockdown on anyone that's either in a vulnerable group or over the age of 75 for the duration of the winter. Everything should be opened fully back up for those under 45 or a researched data driven age limit so the economy can start to rebuild. I don't think they have the gas in the tank for a second lockdown so winter will be a time for getting creative I reckon!

It's also about time a very big and very serious national and international discussion was had about what China are planning on doing by way of compensation. 

#492 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 04:22 PM

4pdnMzxr.jpg

#493 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:30 PM

I imagine that children and the management of their contact both within and without the family unit, will prove to be crucial in the control of the virus. If you are looking to curb physical linkage on a localised basis, i would have thought it logical that the local schools (tutors and pupils alike) will be the centre of the web that concentrically encompasses the whole area. I heard it said that the logistics of the control of movement in schools, on the main allows for the health guidelines to be enforceable only in the presence of a figure of authority and there is reluctance to impose the regime of such a permanent presence. 

The short-awaited silver bullet of a vaccine may well not be the best nest to place all your economic eggs. There is a balance to be had between counting the human cost of the immediate viral damage and that of the collateral effect on the whole economy and health service systems over time. As you say, being at the top making these decisions is not an enviable or easy job, i also pity the one that has to guide the 'politically correct' public through the concept of an acceptable number of deaths now, opposed to a forecasted bleaker number in the future should the economy be allowed to get too ill itself.. 

I don't think the seriousness of the situation has hit home in most of the country's households. The biggest hurdle may be that a society built on the foundations of a concept of freedom for its citizens, is ready primed to rebel against the level of coercive control called upon to effectively protect it in a situation like this.  

#494 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:22 AM

I'm waiting for a hip op and I don't even get answers to my requests as to when it will take place. I can't walk far now and I can't lift anything heavy. I feel that unless I get help soon I will become a permanent invalid. Before C19 the whole process was to take 6 months, well it's been 8 with no sign of an op whilst the lists for ops get ever longer.

#495 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:54 AM

The operation thing seems odd to me. Although there would be a backlog from march.... I have been to hospital twice since lockdown, once as recently as 2 weeks ago and it's very very quiet.

#496 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:39 AM

It's the other knock ons that will start to bite. Missed cancer screenings etc. I'm under the hossie for an ongoing monitored condition and they have just done a phone checkup. Normally a thorough physical. Bloods done through local GP which is easier. Will be a while before I'm back in probably. 

It could all be moot point if Trump corks it from Covid. Effectively we would be in a position where China have killed the president of the USA. I don't think that would end very well. 

#497 quimbles

quimbles

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 08:00 AM

Can you predict the future or did you read the news lol.

#498 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 08:24 AM

Don't get me wrong, there's worse off than me for sure. My GP has been brill though and supplied pain killers on request but it's not something that I want long term. Surgeon's secretary's phone is permanently on answer and she doesn't answer my emails. In my situation I'm worried that if I don't get the op in time I could end up with life changing after affects. I'm just one person, there must be thousands like me and some will die indirectly because of this C19.

#499 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

It’s not good though Chris that you can’t even get in contact with your surgeon’s office. Couldn’t your GP try on your behalf?

As a contrast to some of the above, my ongoing monitoring includes monthly blood tests & consultations along with 3 monthly scans. Blood tests are now done at my local GPs with monthly consultations by phone. TBH both of these suit me since it avoids a monthly hospital visit for what usually ends up being a 5 minute discussion. Consultant has told me that, if I am in agreement, we will carry on with phone appointments unless I think I need to see him, or he thinks he needs to see me. My 3 monthly scans have continued uninterrupted but they have contracted them out to the smaller local Nuffield private hospital rather than me having to go to the large NHS one in Ipswich. All in all it’s actually worked out better for me.

#500 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

It could all be moot point if Trump corks it from Covid. Effectively we would be in a position where China have killed the president of the USA. I don't think that would end very well. 

This is an interesting point.  My question would be 'is this real or white house spin'?  If Trump fakes having Covid he could use it as a tactic to cancel, delay or influence the election.  This tactic wouldn't surprise me.

Saying china killed trump is a bit far fetched unless you thing Covid is engineered.  Whilst it started in China you'd have to prove intent and there's already been theory that it was US derived and released in China for various political gain - making America great again being one touted reason.  Its one hell of a rabbit hole to go down and you're touching on subjects like biological warfare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users