Photo

I Just Bought A Vx220 Turbo In Lightning Yellow. Is It A Real Lotus?

yellow lightning yellow turbo

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the VX220 a real Lotus? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the VX220 a real Lotus?

1. Yes (12 votes [92.31%])

Percentage of vote: 92.31%

2. No (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 charliedrives

charliedrives

• 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

Hi all, hope this is the right place to post! New to the Forums here and just thought I'd share my latest purchase! 

Always had a thing for these cars since my dad bought one home as a company car when her worked for GM! I've got other Lotus cars so have asked the question to lots within the general communities as to whether the Type 116 is a real Lotus. Feel free to vote in the poll on the video below! :) 

https://www.youtube....w-vddby0&t=606s

Attached File  DSC01690-3.jpg   439.07KB   19 downloads

#2 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 01:48 PM

Looks a nice example 👍

Think of it this way. It is more of a Lotus than a Lotus since it shares all its running gear with the Elise, Lotus sourced the body from its usual source for clams etc and to top all of that Lotus had a hand in developing the 2.2 Ecotec engine rather than using a BL or Toyota lump.

oh, wait a minute 😮, yours is a turbo, it got an old GM engine. No it’s not a Lotus, only the VX220 NA is 😛😛

Edited by PaulCP, 21 March 2020 - 01:48 PM.

#3 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

looks well does that ! 

#4 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:59 PM

Wear your griffin with pride!

#5 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:20 PM

In terms of build components as Paul says, the VX with the Z22SE engine the most 'lotus' of them all because the engine was designed with them. Think of it like a watch with an in-house movement. The rest are off the shelf Rover, Toyota and Honda/VW units.

It's the least 'Lotus' only in badges and the dealer network it was sold through.

People originally said the VX wasn't quite as sharp as the Elise which is a fair point out of the factory, but 99% of cars will have been modified or refreshed and with the same suspension and geometry there would be no difference in how they drive.

Subjectively it's a well trodden subject but i think it's the best car on the platform they have ever made.

Edited by pete-r, 21 March 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#6 allsteel

allsteel

• PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Winning lottery tickets,scantily clad women,real ale poured with a head,modified cars,great guitar playing.

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

Of course it's not a Lotus, it's quicker hehe.

#7 charliedrives

charliedrives

• 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:38 PM

Haha Nice one! :) I'm going to do a comparison video soon! 

Of course it's not a Lotus, it's quicker hehe.

#8 charliedrives

charliedrives

• 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:40 PM

Really interesting. I've read that about the Z22SE think Lotus did the headers on it? 

Will certainly be doing a comparison video, got a few friends who have 111R Elise's so will be quite interesting to see how they compare! 

In terms of build components as Paul says, the VX with the Z22SE engine the most 'lotus' of them all because the engine was designed with them. Think of it like a watch with an in-house movement. The rest are off the shelf Rover, Toyota and Honda/VW units.

It's the least 'Lotus' only in badges and the dealer network it was sold through.

People originally said the VX wasn't quite as sharp as the Elise which is a fair point out of the factory, but 99% of cars will have been modified or refreshed and with the same suspension and geometry there would be no difference in how they drive.

Subjectively it's a well trodden subject but i think it's the best car on the platform they have ever made.

#9 charliedrives

charliedrives

• 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:41 PM

Haha Nice one :) 

Looks a nice example 👍

Think of it this way. It is more of a Lotus than a Lotus since it shares all its running gear with the Elise, Lotus sourced the body from its usual source for clams etc and to top all of that Lotus had a hand in developing the 2.2 Ecotec engine rather than using a BL or Toyota lump.

oh, wait a minute 😮, yours is a turbo, it got an old GM engine. No it’s not a Lotus, only the VX220 NA is 😛😛

#10 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:01 PM

I used to have a 111R. Nuff said...

#11 Notalotus

Notalotus

• Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 06:20 AM

Change the body and it becomes a Lotus Europa. So yes, it's a Lotus. Though that contradicts my forum name!

#12 Nobbymogs

Nobbymogs

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

yellow you cant beat a yellow peril 

#13 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:47 AM

Welcome.

A good friend of mine worked at lotus while the s2 and vx where being developed and he said just the other day while looking at mine that he remembers there being a lot more effort on the build quality for the vx as there was an external QA team.

Not looked at an s2 in detail myself though.

Lightening yellow was a limited run of NA cars by the way. Turbo are a different yellow.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

#14 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 03:41 PM

Welcome.

A good friend of mine worked at lotus while the s2 and vx where being developed and he said just the other day while looking at mine that he remembers there being a lot more effort on the build quality for the vx as there was an external QA team.

Lightening yellow was a limited run of NA cars by the way. Turbo are a different yellow.

I believe the first run of VXs off the production line were rejected by Vauxhall as the build quality wasn't high enough.

#15 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:11 PM

Welcome.

I believe the first run of VXs off the production line were rejected by Vauxhall as the build quality wasn't high enough.

They must have been really sh*t considering the state of some of the ones that got out!

#16 charliedrives

charliedrives

• 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:58 PM

I’m going to make another video rounding up some of these great comments. Really interesting to hear about the Vauxhall QA team. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:26 PM

Graham did a good history lesson on the VX.

Edited by smiley, 22 March 2020 - 11:26 PM.

#18 OneYet

OneYet

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:09 PM

Nope.
The Lotus is much tighter, faster and quite a bit more well built.
More bulletproof is one way of putting it.

#19 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:52 PM

Nope.
The Lotus is much tighter, faster and quite a bit more well built.
More bulletproof is one way of putting it.

It's too reliable to be a Lotus.

#20 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:21 AM

Really interesting. I've read that about the Z22SE think Lotus did the headers on it? 
Will certainly be doing a comparison video, got a few friends who have 111R Elise's so will be quite interesting to see how they compare! 

Lotus Engineering (who do / did a lot of external consultancy work - Think Yamaha and how many engines have had input from them) were heavily involved in the design of the entire Ecotec engine range. Whether they were responsible for the engine family from a clean sheet design or not, isn't clear.

Ps.- Not sure I'd popularise loosing the back end on these - many an owner has done so unintentionally.. :lol:

Edited by Rosssco, 25 March 2020 - 09:24 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yellow, lightning yellow, turbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users