Running Some Wiring From Front To Back

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wilksy

wilksy

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:32 PM

I would like to run some wiring from the front of the car to the rear, in essence what I have planned so far is to run the cables inside the centre console coming up behind the cup holder and terminate behind the rear shelf trim piece.

Having never owned a VX220 before I'm guessing the petrol tank in effect forms the back angle in a similar way to a single seat race car.  My thoughts so far are to drill two holes one will be just inside the area the cup holder is secured to and the other on the top where the shelf trim sits, before I commit to drilling holes (25mm Ø) does anybody have a better suggestion and or pictures of what the space is like between the shelf and the top of the fuel tank.

As usual measure 87 times and cut once - it was bad enough drilling a hole behind the radio cavity to feed some cables behind that but at least there wasn't a fuel tank in the way.   

#2 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:46 PM

Have you considered removing the rear shelf, so you do not have to drill at all?

You can also use the sill, which is hollow. You will end up where the heater lines come in at the bottom of the rear.

Both are non drilling options.

#3 wilksy

wilksy

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:49 PM

Rear shelf is already out, I was wondering about the sill, but not sure how it comes off can you advise me how?

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:52 PM

Are you trying to run it all the way back to the engine bay? There's an existing path for the loom to get to the rear of the car which passes through a grommet (one either side on the turdo, I think). Alternatively you can take the dashboard cover off and drop it down into the sill at either side of the dash and pull it through the sill all the way to the rear.

#5 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:58 PM

With the shelf out, when you look at the right bottom you see a small inspection alloy plate.
The gas tank is about 4 cm below that.
The rear section itself also has a grommet location to access the engine bay (iirc on my NA)

If you do have the need to drill, i would suggest to do that from the enigne bay side, as high up as possible.
That way you know you will not hit anything in the enginebay itself, and afaik there is no wiring going on at the top section of the firewall side on the inside.

Edited by smiley, 04 August 2020 - 01:03 PM.

#6 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,870 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

The wiring for the traction control system is fitted without drilling, find the fitting instructions on here somewhere and follow those, wiring runs from engine to cockpit to the abs unite, fully front to fully rear

#7 wilksy

wilksy

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the replies, i only wish to run the cables from the front bulkhead to the rear bulkhead inside the car, I have seen the small inspection plate on the (UK) nearside of the car but have not removed it as I think I would need to remove the seatbelt reel etc, but obviously I can do if I need to.

My current school of thought is to drill just below the two holes that (one) uses to attach the cup holder and then directly in line on the aluminium shelf which I think will clear the tank, using a prodding tool I have gauged where the tank is likely to be, but someone must know better than me as I've only had the car a month.

On another note I removed the headrests to gain me a better path for the shelf trim removal, question do I now remove those horrible axe heads and give me a better rear view and seat travel or do I keep them, my car is a VXR hence the question - my inner self says get rid of them etc but somewhere a voice is saying different.

#8 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:13 PM

I took a grinder to mine (metal headrests). looks ugly though

#9 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:World domination, a liking of unconvincing disguises, Malaysian temple restoration and nice words like "flange".

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:21 PM

Unless the cable(s) you intend to run are a very thick gauge there is absolutely no need to drill anything. I ran a multi-core cable for my dual temp/pressure gauge down the centre tunnel then through the grommet for the handbrake cable.

There is also a hole in the bulkhead above the drivers side sill covered with a sticker that can be poked through. A cable can be tucked under the plastic lip of the sill cover quite well without actually removing it.

#10 wilksy

wilksy

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:12 PM

I've tried to search for the traction control fitting instructions without any luck, could somebody that is better than me on a search function give me the link.

#11 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,870 posts
    and now bees

Posted 05 August 2020 - 02:18 PM

In the group buy section, second page of threads, dated Oct 18, it's on the last page of 11, last entry

#12 wilksy

wilksy

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Ivor, found that thread but didn't go to the end!

#13 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,870 posts
    and now bees

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:02 AM

Thanks Ivor, found that thread but didn't go to the end!

I nearly gave up, think there's a thread in mods as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users