Photo

Na Or Turbo

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 menright

menright

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Building Props for TV and Film.

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:22 AM

Sorry if this has bee asked before. I  feel it is time to ask the experts.  I am trying to make a decision about which to buy the NA or Turbo. Some people I ask say the NA is very reliable and the Turbo models more prone to issues. That the Turbo models given their extra speed are treated more harshly so it is better to buy a NA model. Is buyer choice between the two simply down to power. Do you think NA are more desirable than the Turbos or visa versa.

Sorry for all the questions, problems associated with trying to buy one of these beautiful cars. 

Any views welcome. 

#2 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:26 AM

Supercharged is another option.

Your choice should be based on use - A road blaster or Track car or a mixture of the two.

Edited by Johnboyhgt, 21 October 2020 - 11:27 AM.

#3 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:04 PM

ITB, I have one for sale ;)

#4 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

All the options mentioned have their strengths and weaknesses, one of the best ways to decide what is more suited for you is to drive them.

#5 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:43 PM

Pm me if you want me to take you out in my ITB car. https://youtu.be/E5wZlpnTu4I

#6 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:28 PM

Turbos are very reliable until you start modding them beyond stage 2.

#7 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:30 PM

Turbos are very reliable until you start modding them beyond stage 2.

This...

Ive had an NA (too slow to be proper fun), a stage 4 turbo (ate itself) and now have a supercharged. The torque and shove from the turbo is hillarious, but its old tech and as mentioned, over stage 2 (250bhp or so) they become a bit too laggy and twitchy.

#8 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 12:17 AM

Supercharged..do it.... Stage 2 feels slow with the way it delivers power and torque.... Then you look behind and see v8's and 911s in your wake. 🤣

#9 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:18 AM

To be frank, your opening post I have no idea where you heard what you heard. Anyone can thrash a car and drive it harshly be it a turbo an NA or a Nissan Micra! If you want to apply any logic to it you could argue the NA is the one that needs thrashing because its slower. Do what you would do for any car, check for signs of misuse check maintenance history, check out the owner and car history online if you can and make sure all the basics have been done (toe links, rad, etc.)

#10 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,877 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:06 AM

To be frank, your opening post I have no idea where you heard what you heard. Anyone can thrash a car and drive it harshly be it a turbo an NA or a Nissan Micra! If you want to apply any logic to it you could argue the NA is the one that needs thrashing because its slower. Do what you would do for any car, check for signs of misuse check maintenance history, check out the owner and car history online if you can and make sure all the basics have been done (toe links, rad, etc.)

And then buy a turbo

#11 menright

menright

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for all the comments, all really useful. One thing I am learning about these cars if that there are lots of opinions. After driving a turbo yesterday I think my mind is now made up.

#12 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,877 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for all the comments, all really useful. One thing I am learning about these cars if that there are lots of opinions. After driving a turbo yesterday I think my mind is now made up.

Good man, what stage turbo did you drive?

#13 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

I've owed both and I just prefer the turbo full stop. Supercharged is a whole other ball game. But the NA did leave me thinking it needs a little more something. My turbo is at 225bhp which is perfect, it absolutely flies along at a rate of knots - I dont track it so its perfect for what I need.

#14 menright

menright

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:17 PM

Ivor, no idea he just said it was a factory vx220 turbo. Also got to have a go in a NA today and must admit I really liked it as well. Now confused again. Prices on the NA are very good at the moment plus , within my budget, I would be able to spend some money on the car if I wish. Not sure I need the extra power of the turbo. Maybe I need to get in a supercharged car next.
.??

#15 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:18 PM

You should try ITBs.

#16 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:33 PM

Let me know your email and I'll send you the details of my car. It's had a lot of refurbishment.

#17 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,877 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:49 PM

Ivor, no idea he just said it was a factory vx220 turbo. Also got to have a go in a NA today and must admit I really liked it as well. Now confused again. Prices on the NA are very good at the moment plus , within my budget, I would be able to spend some money on the car if I wish. Not sure I need the extra power of the turbo. Maybe I need to get in a supercharged car next.
.??

Get in a well mapped stage 4 turbo, you won't look back

#18 menright

menright

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:36 AM

Busy week this week and next, looking at loads of cars. Ivor I will probably end up in a lot of bother with a stage 4 turbo on the road. 

#19 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,877 posts
    and now bees

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

Busy week this week and next, looking at loads of cars. Ivor I will probably end up in a lot of bother with a stage 4 turbo on the road.

Nope, get a good map and they are very drivable on the road, surprising amount of torque for a turbo, stage 5 next

#20 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 03:27 PM

I can highly recommend stage 5!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users