• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 12:49 AM

Anyone else been lured in by one of these? I’d been missing the vx so ended up getting an R52 Cooper S earlier this year. It’s been a lot of fun, the supercharger is a hoot, but it’s constantly needing tinkered with, which was one of the reasons I felt out with the vx in the first place. So last week in a moment of madness I put down a deposit on a build slot for a GR Yaris, and now I have a long wait for April/May next year...hopefully it will be ready in time for the hoon!...

#2 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 01 December 2020 - 10:34 AM

They sound like a hoot from the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 furtive

furtive

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 12:26 PM

A friend of mine is getting hers on Monday. They look great fun

#4 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:41 PM

Awesome! I'd love one, and would be tempted if it wasn't for my VX Stockholm syndrome

It sounds like the perfect car for having fun and going fast on our sh!te roads..

#5 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:37 PM

i would have to have a drive in one, but i think they would be a great little car, good for trackdays too by all accounts. 

#6 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:57 AM

They do look like proper piece of kit which would most definitely be a hoot on the 2021 Hoon (which is most certain to go ahead this year!!).

#7 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:17 PM

I have an order in subject to a test drive next week.

Circuit pack in white.

#8 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:42 AM

I have an order in subject to a test drive next week.

Circuit pack in white.

Nice, when did you order? Not had a test drive or even seen one in the metal yet but can’t wait for it to arrive next year!

#9 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:44 PM

Ordered week before last and test drive early next week at which point I’ll need to decide for certain.

#10 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:49 AM

Ordered week before last and test drive early next week at which point I’ll need to decide for certain.

Hope the test drive goes well. I’ve given white circuit pack too. As has my brother so will be fun gong to collect them both!
Have you joined the GR Yaris forum too?

#11 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 06:23 PM

Forgot to update, I liked it, the engine is excellent as is the look in the flesh.

Not enough to make me spend that much money though so I’m out.

Will make a sensational used buy in time.

#12 172Cup

172Cup

• Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 13 December 2020 - 09:20 PM

Love the concept and reviews all sound great, defiantly my sort of car.  Would love one but £34k with the track pack and no discounts in sight its too much for me. Hoping it will be a nice used buy in a couple of years like Pete-r has mentioned.

Just sold my mk7 golf gti and have bought a mk8 fiesta ST2 with performance pack to fill the gap for a couple of years, had it 3 days and loving it, will be going mountune mr235 in a few months when insurance renewal is due.

#13 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 14 December 2020 - 08:32 PM

Agree with the above, for all the fanfare it’s still a big chunk of cash. Not sure the looks do it for me either. Maybe I’m not used to Toyota producing an outstanding product....

#14 RC220

RC220

• 61 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 12:09 AM

I have succumbed.  I ordered one today, without a test drive and unlikely before it is delivered ... in April / May.  Precious Black (don't ask me, that is Toyota speak - metallic black in English) with the circuit pack.  I think we will call it Toothless.  This is the nearest thing to any of the old Group B cars that has been built in yonks.  There are none of those currently for sale at this price point, in fact not even close.  Toyota gave me 0% finance, albeit with a significant deposit.  I can walk away in two years marginally worse off.  However, every road test I have read suggests I will just pay the balloon payment at the end and keep it.  Read the What Car test as that is very interesting - excerpt below.  They think Toyota has been 'conservative' about the performance figures ...

To find out, we strapped some timing gear on and were left gobsmacked when the GR completed the 0-60mph run in just 4.6sec – a whopping 1.2 seconds quicker than a Type R in the same (albeit damp) conditions.    

I was surprised by the Toyota numbers but that is seriously quick by any standard. 

My daily commute (when will I ever do this again as in NI is really locked down at the mo and I haven't gone to work (in Dublin) since March 2020) is cross country through the Mourne Mountains.  25 miles to my 'local' train station.  I did this in the VX for 6 mths in 2018 when I bought it and detoured to add another 6 miles on country roads just because I could.  I sorn'ed it in Jan 2019, took it apart to upgrade it - all parts bought inc. all of the Spitfire Engineering bits and the SRAS front end (Gaz, I know you will read this - I don't have the measurements for the brace bar fitting yet but will advise shortly), new hub bolts, Gaz monos, bearings, bushes, wheel bearings, brake discs and pads.  The whole gamut. But what with work and family I have made little progress.  Embarrassed I am, as Yoda would say.  My 2021 plan is to (i) get the VX back on the road and (ii) welcome the GR ... which may distract slightly.  But I have enough time...

Happy Christmas and best wishes to all ...

#15 Carlie@A-Plan

Carlie@A-Plan

• 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:09 AM

They look like a great bit of kit :D 

#16 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:13 PM