Photo

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 buy levothyroxine online

buy levothyroxine online

• 0 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:07 PM

Hi everyone, newbie here. I've been saving all my pennies and finally I think it's time to buy a new car. I've had a Fiat Panda 100HP since I was 17, it's a fabulous car and I never want to sell it. However as fun as it is, I also want something else that's faster and has fewer roofs. A lot of searching and deliberating has led me to the VX220 and this site. I need to really make sure I know what I'm getting into. So hopefully I can pick that up here, and maybe even find a wonderful example to call my own.

James

Edited by jamesws1000, 02 March 2021 - 10:08 PM.

#2 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:19 AM

Welcome to the farm   :)

The VX220 is definitely a Marmite car (your Fiat Panda has more features and luxuries). If you think it's the car for you, I would suggest taking a decent length test drive in a few different cars before you decide to take the plunge.

#3 buy levothyroxine online

buy levothyroxine online

• 0 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

Cheers. Hopefully I can try a few, I’m just waiting patiently until I can.

I’m not really fussed about luxuries, I’ll still have the panda if I need to cruise in regal comfort.

(In reality the Panda’s ride is so harsh that the VX220 could feel like a warm cosy blanket in comparison.)

#4 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:09 PM

(In reality the Panda’s ride is so harsh that the VX220 could feel like a warm cosy blanket in comparison.)

Famous last words :happy:

#5 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:57 PM

Cheers. Hopefully I can try a few, I’m just waiting patiently until I can.

I’m not really fussed about luxuries, I’ll still have the panda if I need to cruise in regal comfort.

My mums got a Panda 100hp... Had it for about 10 years and I've driven it a fair bit.

Its an absolute RIOT!!!!!!

Proper, proper little thrashtastic thing!

The ride is much worse in the Panda (not stop jiggling!) than the VX, but the VX will follow the camber and undulations of the road much more - You'd never notice it in the Panda.

#6 buy levothyroxine online

buy levothyroxine online

• 0 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:56 PM

They do love a good thrashing, great fun to bounce down a B road and it can even catch a few things out in the 0-30mph sprint.

Now for the VX, I haven't yet decided whether I want the NA or turbo. I'm sure this has been covered a few times on here but I'm wondering about reliability and common faults that crop up. I don't have loads of time, nor the space to sink into issues. The car will sadly have to be parked on the street outside my flat, these are the downsides of London... So I need it to be the more reliable option really. Are the turbos more sorted given they are the later cars? Or do they come with their own issues? It would be great if someone could summarise it for me. Obviously condition is going to be super important for this.

#7 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:52 AM

This is a car that needs to be driven. There are so many compromises you have to make over a ‘normal’ car that I can’t see why you’d want one if you live in London. Unless it’s for track use, or maybe you have time to drive a few hours to find decent roads? That’s my take on it anyway. I’m blessed to have the best roads on my doorstep otherwise it would have been sold long ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 04 March 2021 - 06:03 AM

Agree with Acidpopstar above.

The VX is not a car that likes being left outside, especially in Winter. Frosts can get under the fibre glass paintwork and cause osmosis. They do also require a lot of love and attention. The heater is non existent and parts are becoming difficult to source.

Not a city car. It’s a car that only really rewards on some nice B roads.

For reliability And comparisons between SC, NA and Turbo there’s loads of discussion and advice for you to read through on here and make an informed decision.

Good luck! 👍

#9 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:35 AM

I would disagree with the above. I live in London and nothing better than driving the car through a populated area turning heads and enjoying just being in it then getting out of town and hitting B roads or going on road trips - not sure where in London you are but Im in zone 3 but at the end of the M3 so can be outside the M25 in like 15 minutes. Yes it will get osmosis if stored outside if you are unlucky enough to have one that suffers it (my first one didn’t when stored outside). But I’m on my second one and have driven it all over the country, I mean why stay local?

I had an NA then got a turbo, obviously the turbo has that straight line speed but both are tonnes of fun. I would say any petrolhead should at some point in their life own an Elise base car the driving experience is so visceral, don’t let living in London stop you, just make sure you get in it and drive it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 buy levothyroxine online

buy levothyroxine online

• 0 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 07:03 PM

I'm definitely not expecting a city car, I've got one of those, this is more for a weekend blast out into the countryside to find a nice pub (remember those) for lunch, or a good road trip. I've got coldel's point in my head, I want to own at some point an Elise type car. A stripped back driving experience without electronics etc. getting in the way. I can see where the future is going and it doesn't look anywhere near as fun, so the time to have this experience is now. Plus I think it would look pretty cool around London on a sunny day. You certainly don't see many.

Living in London is far from ideal for car ownership, I can't really change that, but I don't want to let it stop me from having a great car. I've just got to make it happen. The paint blistering is a worry though. If it is stored outside I suppose only a car cover could try to help. Maybe I should look for one that is not pristine so I don't potentially lose out if the paint does blister on me. Maybe that's part of the London factor too, accepting that I can't keep an immaculate example.

#11 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:47 PM

TBH, paint blistering shouldn't really happen now on cars that have frequently stayed outside (they're c.20 years old now.. if it's going to happen, it will have happened..). If you bought an immaculate garage queen, though, then it might be an issue.. But, yes, a decent cover for when it's cold wouldn't be a bad shout. As it's parked on the street I'd consider a hardtop as well, certainly if the weather's shite and you're not using it much..

As for choice of VX, it would really depend on what you fancy.. NA pretty pure (and would still be monster quick coming from the Panda), Turbo quicker but with some slight compromises depending on how you like your power delivery, SC (which is what I settled on, after owning all varieties!) has all the benefits of the NA (including power delivery) with (at least) the pace of the Turbo, with none of the Turbo compromises.. Try some, ask owners for a pax ride, see what takes your fancy..

Edited by Strugs, 04 March 2021 - 11:51 PM.

#12 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:42 PM

.... or the rarer ITB?

#13 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:52 PM

ITB is just dreamland, best sound by far (the supercharger whine really isn't for me its so annoying just sounds like something is broken) there are a couple of youtube vids I think and ITBs sound incredible. 

#14 buy levothyroxine online

buy levothyroxine online

• 0 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 10:07 AM

Yeah ITBs do sound amazing. I’m struggling to find one I like the look of at all at the moment though, let alone one with ITBs.

Thanks Strugs that sounds sensible, I’ll try and find one that’s already spent time sitting outside.

#15 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:17 PM

.... or the rarer ITB?

Ah, yes. All varieties except ITBs! 😄

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users