• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

So time has come I think for a new windscreen. Popped to the local shop in the car today and have gained an additional chip to the screen near another chip in the swept section. I'm with Footman James so £75 excess and they use Autoglass it would seem . Is there anything to be aware of when it comes to them replacing the screen? I've seen people recommend dealing with certain people/centres that are familiar with the Elise. Should I put a hardtop on as is sometimes recommended (I don't have one so will have to beg and borrow)? 

#2 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

I have been recently bitten.... badly.... under this scenario.

My advice - ensure they sent two experienced fitters who have done one before and remove the front
Clam bolts yourself.

Take pictures of before and after.....

#3 SParky77

SParky77

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Unhealthy interest in cars. VX220 makes it three. I need an intervention! Liverpool FC.

Posted 24 April 2021 - 12:23 AM

Crikey, are these things that tricky to change the windscreen?

I've only had one prior experience of a windscreen replacement.  Autoglass had to replace the screen on my old Alfa Romeo Brera when it cracked.  They came with the wrong one.  Not their fault, seems in the year my car was made Alfa decided to fit the same screen to all cars regardless if it had auto-wipers or not. Made a difference to how the rear view mirror mounted with a little box at the top of the screen. Mine didn't have auto-wipers but had the auto-wiper screen.  Sorry, I digress.

I see a lot of photos of VXs with black windscreen frames.  Have a lot been replaced with an Elise unit or people have painted/covered them because they prefer the look? 

#4 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:50 AM

Only black screens are now available.

Yes, it is tricky because the screen is attached to the front clam. So you need to loosen the front clam to access and release / refit the screen.

There are many more horror stories about replacing Elise screens. I was simply saying it is better to be safe than sorry (as I was in my case having to repair the damaged resultant clam)

Jon

#5 OneYet

OneYet

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:37 AM

My windscreen fitter told me there was a line in their "how to guide" telling them to not have the owner nearby when doing it because it looks painful to the car. :D

They threw that paper away and came up with a simpler sollution somehow, telling me that now they have no trouble at all doing it.

They have done my windscreen twice.

#6 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. Autoglass (or rather their online service) decided that the two chips were repairable and sent a tech out. He promptly said no and that they would have to get a screen in. That was yesterday. Today they have telephoned and told me that they have one in stock and it will be being replaced now on the 25th May! Lucky that as the VX will be 20 years old on that day so a nice little birthday present.

Worryingly they said it was only a three hour job. I've gone for a morning slot as I have no doubt it will take them longer. Will check all of the clam bolts before hand to make sure it isn't going to be too much of an issue. Roll on new windscreen time. Is it worth seeing if anyone locally has a hard top I could borrow for lining it up? 

#7 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. Autoglass (or rather their online service) decided that the two chips were repairable and sent a tech out. He promptly said no and that they would have to get a screen in. That was yesterday. Today they have telephoned and told me that they have one in stock and it will be being replaced now on the 25th May! Lucky that as the VX will be 20 years old on that day so a nice little birthday present.

Worryingly they said it was only a three hour job. I've gone for a morning slot as I have no doubt it will take them longer. Will check all of the clam bolts before hand to make sure it isn't going to be too much of an issue. Roll on new windscreen time. Is it worth seeing if anyone locally has a hard top I could borrow for lining it up?

From my experience (and I’ve had a few done) make sure that they have an experienced fitter(s) attending and loosen the clam yourself. I’ve never used a hardtop for the refit, but have had the roof on while the sealant cures.
I was amazed at the amount of flex there is in the windscreen surround without the glass fitted. You’re probably able to push/pull it out of alignment by a couple of inches!
IIRC there is a alignment ’bead’ around the windscreen surround which should make it idiot proof, but there in lies the problem!
In short, remove clam bolts yourself, experienced fitters x2, roof on after it’s fitted. THT.

#8 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:47 AM

To close this out, Autoglass Worcester were pretty good when it came to the fitting. I say pretty good because there are a few things that people ought to be aware of.

Firstly, they will not undo any bolts at all when it comes to fitting. They called me the evening before to say that I will need to undo the bolts at the bottom of the sills. In my arrogance I said they were fine as I only had the clam off a year ago or so. Turns out that was actually 3 years ago and one was rusted. Lucky I checked the night before and chopped it out. 

When I arrived, the fitter said they couldn't do it and I would need to take it to a body shop and remove the clam. I persisted, saying that it could be done by undoing a few blts and would do it for them. I took some tools with me and undid all the bolts to allow the clam to be moved a little forward in the areas and it was all ok. I think the fitters had been burned a few times with angry people complaining about damage that they were at a computer says no stage. Once I'd spoken with them a bit they warmed and I ended up having a good chin wag about cars. 

Long story short, the screen came out without issue, the new one went in and the car is great. Even commuted to the office in it this morning. 

My old screen went to a long standing owner, Mr Partridge. He wanted it for the encapsulation around the outside as he had a heated screen to fit it to. The actual windscreen was not cracked, just had two large chips in front of the driver and the top layer film was peppered in road rash. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users