Hello From Canada

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:52 PM

Been lurking in these forums for a while learning what I can about the vx220. I love driving and as a former biker, I find the freedom of the road is dulled in cars. Some driver descriptions of that feeling you get behind the wheel of a VX caught my attention. Doesn't hurt that 220 is a stunner.

I'm located in Atlantic Canada, so the pickings are pretty slim. I plan to take my time to find the right one. I'm no gearhead, so I'm hoping you all can help.

Ideally I'd be looking for a 2.2. I don't mind the trip across the pond to pick one up, but if I can find a reasonable example here in country that'd be ideal.

Well.. Hi.

#2 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:56 PM

Welcome to .org chinky chinky

You'll be very lucky to find a VX for sale on that side of the pond.

#3 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:00 PM

Welcome.

The LHD version is called the Opel Speedster.

#4 ICD

ICD

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:13 PM

do some searching, a fellow Candian has at least 3 of the VX 220 your side of the pond...

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:53 PM

do some searching, a fellow Candian has at least 3 of the VX 220 your side of the pond...

There's a gentleman selling one on Ebay as we speak. Not sure if this is the same guy you mention. He does have 3. My hesitation at this stage is with covid and distance + how to approach getting it looked at by someone that knows what to look for (normally I take any car to a mechanic before I buy).  Hard to say if the price is fair. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265209273875  Also, buying from Ebay doesn't feel like the smartest way to go about this, being 15hrs drive away, etc.

He does display his VIN and seems more or less up-front about things.

I haven't talked to him yet.  As I said, I'm not going to rush this and am happy to have a 1-2 year plan here.  Don't get me wrong, the urge to rock up there with a cashier's cheque is VERY strong..

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:03 PM

Welcome.

The LHD version is called the Opel Speedster.

Ya, LHD might just make more sense over here, but i gotta be honest, I kinda love the Vauxhall badge (that probably sounds a bit strange). I've even thought to get an Opel and rebadge the thing.

#7 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:07 PM

Just keep in mind that conversions are complex, and require parts from another crashed done, thus scarce.
If you are commited to RHD, then it is fine.

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:54 PM

That figures.. I'm only committed to not buying a lemon. If, in a year, an Opel sits in my drive, well, :happy:!

#9 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:10 PM

Welcome aboard! Your best bet, if you don't mind RHD, is probably to speak to Jon Seal (https://www.jonsealsportscars.com/) and see if he can source/supply one from here to you. He knows his shizzle and wouldn't sell you a lemon! And get yourself on the VX owners club on Facebook too. 

#10 ICD

ICD

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:17 AM

There's a gentleman selling one on Ebay as we speak. Not sure if this is the same guy you mention. He does have 3. My hesitation at this stage is with covid and distance + how to approach getting it looked at by someone that knows what to look for (normally I take any car to a mechanic before I buy).  Hard to say if the price is fair. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265209273875  Also, buying from Ebay doesn't feel like the smartest way to go about this, being 15hrs drive away, etc.

He does display his VIN and seems more or less up-front about things.

I haven't talked to him yet.  As I said, I'm not going to rush this and am happy to have a 1-2 year plan here.  Don't get me wrong, the urge to rock up there with a cashier's cheque is VERY strong..

I do believe he is genuine, ask him about his yellow one, I know the UK owner and it was a good one when it was exported

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:21 AM

Welcome aboard! Your best bet, if you don't mind RHD, is probably to speak to Jon Seal (https://www.jonsealsportscars.com/) and see if he can source/supply one from here to you. He knows his shizzle and wouldn't sell you a lemon! And get yourself on the VX owners club on Facebook too. 

Nice one! Thank you, I'll reach out to him. He's got a couple in stock right now, but it looks like he's sold a lot over the years. Apparently Halifax (CA) is an international carport, so shipment might not be too silly.

We try to spend a week in Scotland each year (until last year for obvs reasons). I think we'll probably make it over for the fall 2022 and I'd love to test one (a change from the hill walking we usually do). I've never enjoyed driving so much as when I'm in Scotland (even though it's usually just some random midsized hire car).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users