36 replies to this topic

#1 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 11 April 2024 - 12:44 PM

Car starts but then immediately stalls.  Will remain turning over on throttle but as soon as that's released the engined dies.  EML and battery warning light show - I'm thinking alternator but any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Ob

#2 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 11 April 2024 - 02:03 PM

Can you scan to get the codes?

#3 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,876 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 11 April 2024 - 02:10 PM

Not alternator if it's starting surely as the battery will keep it running if the alternator was duff and not start when the battery is flat?

#4 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:14 PM

No codes faults on my OBDII.  Having said that, in all the times I have ever scanned for codes down the years, no error code has ever displayed, which I thought was peculiar.

With regard to the engine should run until the battery goes flat, that had occurred to me, because it's happened on other cars but I wasn't sure if that is always the case.

The only work done on the car recently is to change spark plugs and adjust gap to cure a high rev/boost misfire but the car has been out since then and ran fine.

The battery is fine because I had to turn the starter over with the engine in reverse and clutch out to bump the car the 10 feet in the garage (not ideal but tolerances are tight and I'm on my tod), and it did seem about to run for about five seconds and then died.

#5 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 08:32 PM

Get a proper code reader then ( assuming your ecu is OEM and not been tuned to delete any code reporting )

If the CEL light is on, there will be codes

But obviously view live data too, to see if there are any anomalies.

#6 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,876 posts
    and now bees

Posted 12 April 2024 - 06:19 AM

No codes faults on my OBDII. Having said that, in all the times I have ever scanned for codes down the years, no error code has ever displayed, which I thought was peculiar.
With regard to the engine should run until the battery goes flat, that had occurred to me, because it's happened on other cars but I wasn't sure if that is always the case.
The only work done on the car recently is to change spark plugs and adjust gap to cure a high rev/boost misfire but the car has been out since then and ran fine.
The battery is fine because I had to turn the starter over with the engine in reverse and clutch out to bump the car the 10 feet in the garage (not ideal but tolerances are tight and I'm on my tod), and it did seem about to run for about five seconds and then died.

I had a cheap reader that wouldn't reset the codes but did display them so agree that no codes is odd,assuming the reader works and you are doing it correctly, worth trying another reader or a reset ? Fuse 8 is it? Or disconnect and reconnect battery?

#7 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,876 posts
    and now bees

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:28 AM

Is it a turbo.

#8 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:50 AM

Has it just come out of hybernation?
If yes, was it filled up last on E10 or E5?

#9 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:16 AM

Has it just come out of hybernation?
If yes, was it filled up last on E10 or E5?

Just come out od hibernation 99 Ron fuel, tank was full and not yet been topped up.  In answer to Ivor it's a Turbo.  In answer to Stevieturbo I have two OBD readers, I bought the second one because when the first gave no codes I suspected it wasn't working properly.  Quick look this morning tells me the reader is not reading the VIN code either.

#10 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:23 AM

disconnected battery overnight and charged - problem persists.

#11 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,876 posts
    and now bees

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:01 AM

Ecu?

#12 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:06 AM

Ecu?

How can I tell?  No Error codes on my OBD2 - I've ordered a more sophisticated one.  The one I've gort is an Aldi cheapo, although the instructions are excellent and very comprehensive with all codes listed.

#13 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,876 posts
    and now bees

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:11 PM

Ecu?

How can I tell? No Error codes on my OBD2 - I've ordered a more sophisticated one. The one I've gort is an Aldi cheapo, although the instructions are excellent and very comprehensive with all codes listed.
No idea, sorry, not sure if you can get/borrow another and try ?

#14 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:49 PM

I have been using opcom for years, it has never let me down:

https://www.ebay.co....kp:BFBM8I7N99pj

I had these exact symptoms when a jubilee clip failed. The hose coming from the bottom of the turbo blew off. The engine would run but it wouldn't tick over without throttle. Check the hose from the airbox to the turbo, turbo to intercooler and intercooler to throttle body. The other thing I would check extremely carefully is the spark plugs. If this has happened since you disturbed them then it if definitely worth triple checking. Maybe a spark plug has worked itself loose.

#15 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 01:44 PM

I have been using opcom for years, it has never let me down:

https://www.ebay.co....kp:BFBM8I7N99pj

I had these exact symptoms when a jubilee clip failed. The hose coming from the bottom of the turbo blew off. The engine would run but it wouldn't tick over without throttle. Check the hose from the airbox to the turbo, turbo to intercooler and intercooler to throttle body. The other thing I would check extremely carefully is the spark plugs. If this has happened since you disturbed them then it if definitely worth triple checking. Maybe a spark plug has worked itself loose.

Thanks for that.  Spark plug change had occurred to me so this morning changed the spark plugs back to the old ones and no difference.  One hose clip from the airbox was also loose - tightened that at same time but no joy.  Will have to get the undertray and offside wheel arch liner off for 

further checks.

#16 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:19 PM

All hoses checked and O.K.

#17 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,831 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:51 PM

Is there anyone nearby you can try out their OBD scanner?

#18 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:52 PM

Fuel, air, spark.

Have you at least checked the basics ?

#19 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:01 PM

Fuel, air, spark.

Have you at least checked the basics ?

Well it fires up so it's getting a spark and plugs have been checked.  It turns over for a second or so, so it's getting some fuel.  It will hold revs at about 5k but dies as soon as you back off so it's getting air and fuel on throttle.  It's the no codes on either OBD scanner that puzzles me.

#20 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:53 PM

So when it starts and is running, the CEL remains on, as does the alternator light ?

Your OBD, does it connect at all ? Can you view live data ? Or does it offer nothing at all ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users