Photo

Deactivate The Abs, Possible Without Abs Light On?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GrossmeisterB

GrossmeisterB

• 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:58 PM

Cheers everyone,

I have been reading a while ago about deactivating the ABS system. I found several threads and I remember that you have to cut one specific wire to deactivate the ABS.

But now I was searching again and found out that if I cut that wire (from the front left ABS sensor I think) the ABS light will be illuminated all the time. 

Is there any way to disable the ABS system without having the light illuminated all the time?

I can't find the threads anymore and I don't remember if I read it here or on some german forum :(

Thanks for your help!

#2 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,864 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:58 AM

I think if you disable the abs, the light will be on, disable by cutting the yellow wire at the abs unit or disconnecting the sensor at the wheel, don't cut the wire here, I've bought a new light switch panel from 116 Motorsport and plan to use the fog light switch, currently not connected, to disconnect/connect the abs

#3 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 08:29 AM

Cheers everyone,

I have been reading a while ago about deactivating the ABS system. I found several threads and I remember that you have to cut one specific wire to deactivate the ABS.

But now I was searching again and found out that if I cut that wire (from the front left ABS sensor I think) the ABS light will be illuminated all the time. 

Is there any way to disable the ABS system without having the light illuminated all the time?

I can't find the threads anymore and I don't remember if I read it here or on some german forum :(

Thanks for your help!

I can't understand why you'd want to do that ?

By disabling ABS by any means it is not operational, that IS a fault, and should be reported as such.

If you really wanted the light to not work either, you could add a further switch to the light itself to ground the wire to turn the light off. Or use a double pole switch to do both at once.

ABS light on dash is B12, Black/Yellow

Although I've seen other posts that say disabling the FL sensor, doesn't completely disable the ABS system, and it still does some sort of pressure limiting to the rear ?

Whether this is true or not, no idea as never tried on mine yet.. That thread said they need to disable the RR sensor to remove this aspect. In which case, it'd probably make more sense to disable this wheel overall, rather than any others.

#4 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,864 posts
    and now bees

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:34 AM

Cheers everyone,

Thanks for your help!

By disabling ABS by any means it is not operational, that IS a fault, and should be reported as such.

If you really wanted the light to not work either, you could add a further switch to the light itself to ground the wire to turn the light off. Or use a double pole switch to do both at once.

Although I've seen other posts that say disabling the FL sensor, doesn't completely disable the ABS system, and it still does some sort of pressure limiting to the rear ?
Whether this is true or not, no idea as never tried on mine yet.. That thread said they need to disable the RR sensor to remove this aspect. In which case, it'd probably make more sense to disable this wheel overall, rather than any others.
The abs is dangerous, most disconnect it, the 2 channel, if upgrade to 4 channel. Ice mode on the 2 channel is really dangerous

#5 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:58 PM

This is the guide I followed: http://www.vx220.org...hl=+abs +switch

These are the pictures that went with it:

v8zVRDHF.jpg

Pf3uDu3f.jpg

LbKBy6nA.jpg

pVeU1Tdq.jpg

#6 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 04:59 PM

Cheers everyone,

Thanks for your help!

The abs is dangerous, most disconnect it, the 2 channel, if upgrade to 4 channel. Ice mode on the 2 channel is really dangerous

That doesn't alter the fact the warning light is there for a reason.

#7 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,864 posts
    and now bees

Posted 14 April 2024 - 05:49 PM

Cheers everyone,

Thanks for your help!

True, and doesn't alter the fact that a significant number of people have had scary experiences with the abs in the dry, me included, but mine was on the track luckily, on a safe place with huge run off, a new owner had a scary experience recently on the road...

#8 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:22 PM

Cheers everyone,

Thanks for your help!

True, and doesn't alter the fact that a significant number of people have had scary experiences with the abs in the dry, me included, but mine was on the track luckily, on a safe place with huge run off, a new owner had a scary experience recently on the road...

I can confirm from personal experience how downright dangerous the 2 channel ABS is.  4 channel isn't fantastic but it's a great improvement.  Itr's an expensive upgrade but well worth it because it's a critical safety issue.

#9 GrossmeisterB

GrossmeisterB

• 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:37 PM

Within just one year of ownership I had two very dangerous situations due to the ABS not working properly. I don't need any ABS, have been driving around in an S1 Elise before for 5 years and had no trouble at all.
Just want to get rid of it.
I already read that I may have to disable the right rear sensor as well, so will add a connector there to activate or deactivate them both. Will now check what wire it is to give the signal to the dash.
Thanks so far for your help!

#10 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 04:50 PM

Cheers everyone,

Thanks for your help!

Which is irrelevant to disabling the warning light.

#11 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 04:52 PM

Within just one year of ownership I had two very dangerous situations due to the ABS not working properly. I don't need any ABS, have been driving around in an S1 Elise before for 5 years and had no trouble at all.
Just want to get rid of it.
I already read that I may have to disable the right rear sensor as well, so will add a connector there to activate or deactivate them both. Will now check what wire it is to give the signal to the dash.
Thanks so far for your help!

I already detailed what wire/pin for the light on the dash.

Although if the rear wheel thing is true, may as well just disable that corner, instead of the front one or both. Interrupting the signal from any wheel will still disable the ABS, so again, if true, may as well just do the RR wheel only.

Not sure why FL seems popular ?

#12 GrossmeisterB

GrossmeisterB

• 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 02:32 PM

Sorry, seems like I missed that. Thanks for that! 

Will find a nice solution to be able to activate it whenever necessary. Maybe I will just use an autmotive 3-pin connector with integrated seals that I can then just disconnect or connect when needed.

Thanks for the help! 

#13 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,864 posts
    and now bees

Posted 17 April 2024 - 03:01 PM

Will find a nice solution to be able to activate it whenever necessary. Maybe I will just use an autmotive 3-pin connector with integrated seals that I can then just disconnect or connect when needed.

Thanks for the help!

As the abs light is only relevant if abs is functioning, use the 116 Motorsport light switch panel as I suggest above, you can then just turn abs on or off

#14 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the help! 

A simple double pole switch as already said would be easier. Just turn it off and on.

One side for the relevant ABS sensor wire, and the other for the dash/light wire.

Just mount the switch somewhere convenient to the driver you can turn it off and on as you please.

If switching back on when driving, you'd need to power off and on again for things to reset and become functional again

#15 GrossmeisterB

GrossmeisterB

• 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:19 PM

Don't want to switch it that often and don't want to risk any switch moving when going a little harder over a bump.

So I think I will stick with the 3- or 2-pin plug I think. Easiest way I'd say.

A switch would be better for people switching it over more often though.

#16 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted Today, 07:53 AM

I had a simple "toggle" switch fitted under the front bonnet that enables me to switch the ABS on, or off. It's never jiggled lose or anything like that in over 5 years.

I have it switched off all the time, but then when it goes in for an MOT I flip the switch. No lights and all works as it should. Get the MOT, then flip the switch. Simples.

#17 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted Today, 06:04 PM

Don't want to switch it that often and don't want to risk any switch moving when going a little harder over a bump.

So I think I will stick with the 3- or 2-pin plug I think. Easiest way I'd say.

A switch would be better for people switching it over more often though.

Any decent switch will be a lot more reliable than the OE light switches.

There would be no possibility of a bump affecting it. If there was a bump that large it might....you probably have bigger worries lol.

Switch accessible to the driver just makes life handy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users