• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bakazan

Bakazan

• Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 03:59 PM

Hi All,

My original VDO head unit has given up, both the fuses are fine but no action on the screen and the eject button is not working.

Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement? I'm probably looking for something that can play CDs ...or maybe it's time to go fully digital. I'd previously thought about getting an android type thing, but there don't appear to be many around that drop a screen downwards.

This is not something I'd normally worry too much about, but I have a journey coming up which is ~5 hours each way.

Preferably I'm looking for something that uses the connectors that are there without too much messing around. Obviously sound quality might get a bit lost in the general noise of the cabin.

Any advice / recommendations welcome.

#2 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:38 PM

Hi buddy,

Your best bet would be to pop into Halfords, play about with a few units, see what brands you like.

They are all very similar in spec these days, but Halfords tend to list the features quite well.

It will be a personal thing, you will like the menus on some brands and not on others.

Lastly, when you find a make and model you like, Leave the store and go find it on ebay or caraudiosecurity.com for about 30% cheaper haha 😄

#3 Bakazan

Bakazan

• Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 06:33 AM

Fred666,
Thanks, it's proving much more difficult than expected. I went to 3 different Halfords last weekend and said I'll take any of these 4 stereos and none of them had a unit to sell to me. Tried Wilco and they said "it's all online mate", all the independent ICE shops seem to have disappeared. It's strange, I guess I'll have to buy from the internet, but I'm not sure I've got the spare time to sort it out before the trip now anyway.

Thanks for the tip on caraudiosecurity.com, I'll take a look.

#4 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:World domination, a liking of unconvincing disguises, Malaysian temple restoration and nice words like "flange".

Posted 21 September 2021 - 02:59 PM

Th VX uses standard ISO connectors, so pretty much any after market single DIN unit should plug straight in. Even the cheapest model with the features you want from any of the big brands- Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood etc. will be more than sufficient given the noisy environment it will be used in. DAB would be nice to have (essential for me) but will involve a new small aerial stuck in the corner of the screen and the dash top removed to install it.

I personally distrust all this no-brand dross you see on eBay, not so much from a performance point of view, but for electrical safety. The last thing you want is a VX220 fuelled barbecue.

I usually buy from caraudiodirect.co.uk but it looks like most of the cheaper single DIN CD players are out of stock.

#5 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• 855 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 06:15 PM

Has anyone tried this one:  

Pioneer SPH-10BT Smartphone Receiver

In the VX220?  I only really want a headunit for the Smartphone integration (google maps/waze/amigo, Torque, Spotify etc) so a head-unit that allows me to connect and use the screen of my smartphone would be ideal. Just wondering if the "lip" on the dash cover would allow its use.

Thanks in advance for any info. 

#6 Gzwg

Gzwg

• 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:51 AM

I mounted a Pioneer MVH-S520BT this summer.

Mounted fine without any adaptors.

Only problem was the bluetooth handsfree function, since there was no sound when speaking.

Turns out telephone sounds are only played on the two front speakers. Since the Speakers in the car are (correctly) connected as rear speakers, you can't hear the phone output.

Re-pinning the iso connector to make them "front" speakers solved that!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: head unit, stereo, vdo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users