Photo

New And Confused

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 bluesunbeam

bluesunbeam

• 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2024 - 09:52 PM

Hello to all you VX fanatics. I must apologise in advance for this post about such a basic subject. I bought a rather battered 2003 Turbo this week and the first priority is to replace all four tyres. I now realise that the OE size does not seem to be produced any more and though i have spent a fair amount of time looking through the forum i cannot find a post that lays out what possible options are left for me. What i need to know is if the original front rims are still useable with another tyre size and if so what sizes are an option and what would people recommend as a sensible choice for an average driver that doesn't push anywhere near the limit and will only do about a max of 2000 miles per year and only in the summer? If the OE rims are no longer viable what size rims should i fit in their place?

Despite my Turbos slightly ragged looks the 90 minute journey back from buying it was pure pleasure for me even though it was on crowded motorways and 8 miles into the home journey a red warning light came on. I guessed it was something t do with the coolant so stopped and checked everything but could see nothing obvious so carried on keeping an eye on the temp, readout. Whilst i was stopped i got the first of the ''wow, VX220 : don't see many of those about mate'' comments that the seller had predicted. I called the seller when i got home and he had the decency to be abashed and said he had forgotten to mention the sensor in the coolant tank was a bit unreliable.

I am very happy that the car is so comfortable for me and with the seat pushed right back fits me perfectly. 

Again apologies for the question about wheels but i just need to be sure i am clear about the situation and i am not a very technically minded person.

#2 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,928 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 22 May 2024 - 05:04 AM

Try googling tyre sizes for VX220 it usually finds the relevant articles on here, unfortunately the server crashed a few months back and about 3 years of recent posts were lost, the tyre discussion comes up quite often

Edited by Ivor, 22 May 2024 - 05:04 AM.

#3 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,879 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 22 May 2024 - 07:21 AM

Most go for 195/45/17 - I have Yokohama Advans which are OK but there are probably better options.

The red light probably means that a non-OEM header tank has been fitted. I ran one for several years with no problems except the light coming on.

#4 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,928 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 May 2024 - 09:07 AM

Those who track fit 16 " rims on the front, as I have done, just about to fit Yokohama AD08Rs as federal 595 RSR semi slicks no longer available, they were a fantastic track and fast road tyre

#5 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,928 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 May 2024 - 09:08 AM

Welcome to the forum btw , it's a bit tumble weedy in here, most of the children have headed to Facebook

#6 RC220

RC220

• 73 posts

Posted 22 May 2024 - 09:16 AM

Welcome to the club.  As Hairy said 195/45/17 fit the front end perfectly and don't rub anywhere.  I use Michelin PS4's with 225/45/17 on the rear.  

#7 AustinB

AustinB

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports, Baseball, Running

Posted 22 May 2024 - 12:16 PM

I've just fitted a set of Conti Sport Contact 5's on my standard wheels! 195/45/17 on the front and 225/45/17 on the rear.

#8 bluesunbeam

bluesunbeam

• 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for making the situation clear for me. I have checked the dates on the tyres (OE Bridgestones) and the rears are 2005 vintage so might be only the second set that were put on the car and the fronts are 2015 and look like they have virtually no wear but are not very pliant after 10 years so definitely will be replaced. The other thing that was a surprise was that both rears were put on with the rotation orientated the wrong way.

Sorry to hear that the forum is suffering from an exodus to Facebook. I was a long time member of the Hillman Imp and the Gen 1 Insight forums but the Imp forum suffered a similar fate and is almost dead now though the Gen 1 Insight forum seemed to be still reasonably active when i sold mine in early 2023. I did try the Imp page on Facebook but concluded that the format is useless for finding information as you can on a proper forum and was appalled at the rabidly partisan attitude taken towards any non Imp folk who dared to make observations about the Imp that wasn't lavishing paise on it.

Thanks again for all your advice. Next step will be to research into a good set of new shocks suitable for the road .

#9 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 22 May 2024 - 08:46 PM

The skinny 5.5 inch wheels are a real pain to find tyres for. The only thing worthy of mention, if you go for 195/45 17 it will reduce the tyre diameter by about 20mm and render your ABS pretty much useless. With my 16" track day wheels fitted on the front the ABS was bloody lethal!

I have replaced my wheels with 17" Rota Titan and found tyre sizes with diameters that are close to OEM. The ABS on my car still works absolutely perfectly, even on track.

Just food for thought.

#10 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,928 posts
    and now bees

Posted 23 May 2024 - 04:33 AM

Thanks for making the situation clear for me. I have checked the dates on the tyres (OE Bridgestones) and the rears are 2005 vintage so might be only the second set that were put on the car and the fronts are 2015 and look like they have virtually no wear but are not very pliant after 10 years so definitely will be replaced. The other thing that was a surprise was that both rears were put on with the rotation orientated the wrong way.
Sorry to hear that the forum is suffering from an exodus to Facebook. I was a long time member of the Hillman Imp and the Gen 1 Insight forums but the Imp forum suffered a similar fate and is almost dead now though the Gen 1 Insight forum seemed to be still reasonably active when i sold mine in early 2023. I did try the Imp page on Facebook but concluded that the format is useless for finding information as you can on a proper forum and was appalled at the rabidly partisan attitude taken towards any non Imp folk who dared to make observations about the Imp that wasn't lavishing paise on it.
Thanks again for all your advice. Next step will be to research into a good set of new shocks suitable for the road .

Sounds like the rears are on the wrong sides, but change them anyway

#11 RC220

RC220

• 73 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:59 AM

I forgot to mention that I disconnected the ABS in my car and have a warning light on dashboard.  Do this as part of the process.  Not for MOT obviously.  Right rear sensor disconnect.

Kind regards

Roy

#12 AustinB

AustinB

• PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports, Baseball, Running

Posted 23 May 2024 - 11:52 AM

The skinny 5.5 inch wheels are a real pain to find tyres for. The only thing worthy of mention, if you go for 195/45 17 it will reduce the tyre diameter by about 20mm and render your ABS pretty much useless. With my 16" track day wheels fitted on the front the ABS was bloody lethal!

I have replaced my wheels with 17" Rota Titan and found tyre sizes with diameters that are close to OEM. The ABS on my car still works absolutely perfectly, even on track.

Just food for thought.

I've not had any problems with the ABS and 195/45/17 tyres, but that being said I've upgraded to the 4 channel system so maybe that copes with the size change a bit better?

#13 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 12:41 PM

I've not had any problems with the ABS and 195/45/17 tyres, but that being said I've upgraded to the 4 channel system so maybe that copes with the size change a bit better?

4-channel ABS 'brain' is calibrated to run (VXR/Elise) 195/50R16 fronts, and that's only a 1% size difference to 195/45R17 so I'm not too surprised it's working fine as that's well within it's tolerance..

Bye, Arno.

#14 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 12:46 PM

Just food for thought.

I've not had any problems with the ABS and 195/45/17 tyres, but that being said I've upgraded to the 4 channel system so maybe that copes with the size change a bit better?

My first vx220 had this exact setup. I started with 2 channel and moved to 4 channel. It definitely improved things but if both front wheels hit a bump at the same time under braking it would enter ice mode. Many years a go I braked for a red light at a junction and this exact thing happened, it was bloody scary.

#15 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,928 posts
    and now bees

Posted 23 May 2024 - 01:06 PM

Abs disconnected here, apart from mot

#16 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 02:08 PM

I think most people disconnect their ABS but then, most people either have 16's on the front or 195/45 17's. I was really happy with 175/55 17's to be honest, such a shame they don't make them anymore. I spoke to Bridgestone about it and they confirmed that they will never make that tyre size ever again. Gits.

#17 bluesunbeam

bluesunbeam

• 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the warning about the ABS peteslag and the solution to disabling it Roy. I will only drive it in the summer and have never had the nads to push a car or a bike in the wet so ABS is pretty redundant for me anyway. I know there is a thread on wiring in an ABS disable switch so i will look into that. On the subject of tyres i have decided to go for the PS4's. Looking at the reviews there doesn't seem to much between them and the Conti Sport 5's but opted for the PS4's just because they are Pirelli's. Appreciate the advice from all of you.

Dave

#18 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,928 posts
    and now bees

Posted 23 May 2024 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for the warning about the ABS peteslag and the solution to disabling it Roy. I will only drive it in the summer and have never had the nads to push a car or a bike in the wet so ABS is pretty redundant for me anyway. I know there is a thread on wiring in an ABS disable switch so i will look into that. On the subject of tyres i have decided to go for the PS4's. Looking at the reviews there doesn't seem to much between them and the Conti Sport 5's but opted for the PS4's just because they are Pirelli's. Appreciate the advice from all of you.
Dave

I'm going to wire my abs through the front fog light switch so I can turn abs off and on

#19 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 06:03 PM

Dave

PS4's are Michelins.

Newer PS5's are out too

#20 bluesunbeam

bluesunbeam

• 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 08:10 PM

Oops. Yes stevieturbo. Brain fade caused by lack of sleep is my only explanation  :blush: .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users