22 replies to this topic

#1 Ivor

Ivor

Scary Internerd

• 2,065 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:08 AM

Been for a pointless blast in the car, first time I've done that in a long long time, they are just great.

#2 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,941 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:17 PM

Don't think mine has turned a wheel for something like four years. :(

#3 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,525 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 12:49 PM

You don't do track days techie?

Best way to fall in love again.

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,941 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 01:24 PM

Think a Zandvoort or Spa day was my last outing. Totally lost interest in track days once everyone got too serious about hundredths of a second, ideal lap times, needing a minimum of 400+bhp and claiming to be able to feel the downforce difference a 0.25° change in wing angle or 1mm change in front splitter length makes. Took all of the joy away for me, I'm afraid.

The battery in it is dead. Even the replacement battery that I bought a few years ago but never got around to fitting is also dead. I'm sure by now the ECU and key transponder will long since have permanently fallen out with each other so, even if I stuck another battery in it, it probably won't run anyway. On the bright side, at least I didn't park it up in the garage with the brakes on so it hasn't effectively welded itself to the ground and it's made a good workbench and dumping ground whilst the house extension was built. :wacko:

sad.png

#5 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• 6,085 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:30 PM

Think a Zandvoort or Spa day was my last outing. Totally lost interest in track days once everyone got too serious about hundredths of a second, ideal lap times, needing a minimum of 400+bhp and claiming to be able to feel the downforce difference a 0.25° change in wing angle or 1mm change in front splitter length makes. Took all of the joy away for me, I'm afraid.

Spot on Matt👍 although you overlooked the 1000th of a second gain from the weight saving of fitting a lithium battery rather than that bulky standard thingy 🙄

#6 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:04 PM

Spot on Matt👍 although you overlooked the 1000th of a second gain from the weight saving of fitting a lithium battery rather than that bulky standard thingy 🙄

That's not been my experience, at least on the eurotrips of recent years, any hardcore tenth chasers stopped doing them long ago. So what was left was a bunch of easy going types that like the odd trackday, nice hotels, good food and a drink or ten. Sure there will be the odd conversation along the lines of '3rd or 4th for that corner?' 'what line...?' and the like, but no poring over vbox traces into the early hours. Generally as long as we can all agree that Foxy won the trackday then it's all good I've found.

If you have a car that you haven't been interested in driving in years is there really any point hanging on to it ?

#7 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• 3,065 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:45 PM

99% of my drives in mine are just for the fun of it.. and they're pretty frequent!

Edited by Strugs, 16 September 2021 - 11:46 PM.

#8 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,941 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:14 AM

If you have a car that you haven't been interested in driving in years is there really any point hanging on to it ?

Possibly not, but I rarely bother listening to any of the extensive collection of vinyl records I've got either but I wouldn't get rid of them. Like they keep saying about flares, it may all come round again. :D

If it helps, until Tuesday, I hadn't driven my daily driver for almost 3 years either. I've had other priorities over the last few years.

#9 Ivor

Ivor

Scary Internerd

• 2,065 posts
    and now bees

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:13 AM

99% of my drives in mine are just for the fun of it.. and they're pretty frequent!

That's what I'm aiming for, after 11 years of ownership, not sure what I've been doing

#10 Ivor

Ivor

Scary Internerd

• 2,065 posts
    and now bees

Posted 17 September 2021 - 06:14 AM

Possibly not, but I rarely bother listening to any of the extensive collection of vinyl records I've got either but I wouldn't get rid of them. Like they keep saying about flares, it may all come round again. :D

If it helps, until Tuesday, I hadn't driven my daily driver for almost 3 years either. I've had other priorities over the last few years.
I have 8 ducatis, I ride one, I have loads of pictures ( wall pictures) I look at one that's by the TV...
My flares are in a watertight case in the yacht and row boat, I don't look at them either

Edited by Ivor, 17 September 2021 - 06:16 AM.

#11 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:24 PM

Well the fact you're still here means there is at least a dim ember of VX interest left!  :grouphug:

#12 Ivor

Ivor

Scary Internerd

• 2,065 posts
    and now bees

Posted 17 September 2021 - 12:46 PM

Well the fact you're still here means there is at least a dim ember of VX interest left! :grouphug:
Indeed

#13 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,525 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:32 PM

Techie needs some new trackday friends, that is all.

#14 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:54 PM

Almost all my drives are pointless. Three in the last three days as I've been out of action for two months. For example Blindme Ffestinigog to B4391 Llan Ffestinigog to A4214, not another car on the road over the moorland and just one bike in the opposite direction, then Bala. Then A494 to Dolgaloo following a Porsche 911 who unlike most 911 drivers didn't behave and drive like a twat just because I was behind him - A496 to Barmouth stop for lunch (Murrays)and a saunter along the seafront, then on the coast road back to Harlech and up to Blaenau.. Nice relaxed drive with the top off - no hurry, observing all the speed limits. Great day out in the sunshine.

#15 Ivor

Ivor

Scary Internerd

• 2,065 posts
    and now bees

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:12 PM

Almost all my drives are pointless. Three in the last three days as I've been out of action for two months. For example Blindme Ffestinigog to B4391 Llan Ffestinigog to A4214, not another car on the road over the moorland and just one bike in the opposite direction, then Bala. Then A494 to Dolgaloo following a Porsche 911 who unlike most 911 drivers didn't behave and drive like a twat just because I was behind him - A496 to Barmouth stop for lunch (Murrays)and a saunter along the seafront, then on the coast road back to Harlech and up to Blaenau.. Nice relaxed drive with the top off - no hurry, observing all the speed limits. Great day out in the sunshine.

We should try and meet up in mid Wales, I'm in Pembrokeshire

#16 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• 6,085 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:55 PM

That's not been my experience, at least on the eurotrips of recent years, any hardcore tenth chasers stopped doing them long ago. So what was left was a bunch of easy going types that like the odd trackday, nice hotels, good food and a drink or ten. Sure there will be the odd conversation along the lines of '3rd or 4th for that corner?' 'what line...?' and the like, but no poring over vbox traces into the early hours. Generally as long as we can all agree that Foxy won the trackday then it's all good I've found.

Chris, I didn’t think that Matt was referring to the Euro days in particular but the U.K. general track days where the pseudo “pro’s” gather.

#17 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• 846 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:57 PM

I try to do a few track days a year. If I leave at the end of the day without having a spin or breaking/damaging anything then I'm really happy. Chasing tenths is pointless. I've met some great VX owners on those track days who have only ever been generous of their time and advice and at Cadwell last year Foxy spent quite a few laps coaching me around and I did get faster!

Most of my track days turn into 1,000 mile ish round trips, usually including a night or two in a hotel, a nice meal, a few beers, etc. I try to string a couple of track days together to turn it into a road trip. To me, the VX makes a trip like that, and the tiny portion of my life hours I invest in it, some of the best time of my life! No work. No wife. No kids. No stress (apart from worrying over whether anything on the VX will break and if it will get me back home :) )

These little plastic sh1tboxes are amazing. My only issue is that I only really found out about them 4 years ago, as an overweight 50 year old, and after 4 years I am still smitten. If I only I had know 20 years ago! Still can only get in it by peeling back the soft top and stepping in and sliding down the seat - my beer barrel will not flex sufficiently for any other entry style.

Pointless drives to nowhere are my speciality, but then I do have miles of some of the best driving roads on my door step up here in Scotlandshire.

#18 Ivor

Ivor

Scary Internerd

• 2,065 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:50 PM

I try to do a few track days a year. If I leave at the end of the day without having a spin or breaking/damaging anything then I'm really happy. Chasing tenths is pointless. I've met some great VX owners on those track days who have only ever been generous of their time and advice and at Cadwell last year Foxy spent quite a few laps coaching me around and I did get faster!

Most of my track days turn into 1,000 mile ish round trips, usually including a night or two in a hotel, a nice meal, a few beers, etc. I try to string a couple of track days together to turn it into a road trip. To me, the VX makes a trip like that, and the tiny portion of my life hours I invest in it, some of the best time of my life! No work. No wife. No kids. No stress (apart from worrying over whether anything on the VX will break and if it will get me back home :) )

These little plastic sh1tboxes are amazing. My only issue is that I only really found out about them 4 years ago, as an overweight 50 year old, and after 4 years I am still smitten. If I only I had know 20 years ago! Still can only get in it by peeling back the soft top and stepping in and sliding down the seat - my beer barrel will not flex sufficiently for any other entry style.

Pointless drives to nowhere are my speciality, but then I do have miles of some of the best driving roads on my door step up here in Scotlandshire.

Couldn't have put it better myself, minus beer belly of course...

#19 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• 846 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:56 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself, minus beer belly of course...

You should try it (the beer belly!). At least you'd be able to rest it on the fuel tank of the one Ducati you ride!  

Not a biker myself but a good friend, back in the day, had a Ducati 916 with all sorts of carbon bling. Have to say it looked, and sounded, orgasmic!

#20 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:15 PM

We should try and meet up in mid Wales, I'm in Pembrokeshire

That would be good. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users