• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• 2,746 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 11 October 2021 - 06:00 AM

I’ve not been on here for a very long time. But, I thought I’d share with you what’s been done to my car since I lasted posted. Anyway, I started at the beginning of lockdown, hoping I would have it completed in 6 months. But alas, my man maths was woefully wrong. The car spent another year sat idol and I came close to binning it as it was a white elephant taking up valuable space in my garage.

But, I got motivated and started up again. Not much to see really, but it’s moving on slowly.

https://photos.app.g...SfNaYhEwZKqTCL7

#2 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,536 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:00 AM

I love the side view.

#3 Jocke_D

Jocke_D

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:30 AM

Please please please - finish this!

The ideas and labor that has gone into it must be finished :)

#4 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• 6,083 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 11 October 2021 - 11:45 AM

Keep at it Max! this deserves finishing!

#5 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 05:29 PM

Thanks guys. It’s been a huge learning curve in terms of bodywork modifications (which I had no experience of) and a total misjudgment of the time it would take. Man maths at its worst.

The problem was that a minor coupe hatchback mod I decided on, became a total revamp of every single panel. including the roof, underside front and rear lights and interior (dash, gear selector, console, binnacle, all controls, mirrors & new door cards. With no experience to guide me, I made the mistake of starting on all areas without completing specific tasks. Everything evolved and nothing got completed. Now I have a useless doorstop which is unusable.

That said, it looks cohesive and interesting to me. (many may disagree) but it’s my journey and my creativity. So I get it if many would have done it differently. I had no reference or idea of how to modify the body. All YouTube videos of using clay, foam or luck, which didn’t float my boat.

I came up with ways to form the new shapes as I went along and decided to use well designed used parts rather than the alternative, expanding foam and pure luck.

I will upload some photos previously uploaded later this evening.

#6 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:14 PM

Modified door & door cards:

https://photos.app.g...uoWd8A8DsX89gGA

#7 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:24 PM

Revised dashboard (Elise binnacle to be incorporated at some point), new central console & revised gear selector position:

https://photos.app.g...fLpA6HR1BuZwaa8

#8 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:42 PM

New Rear diffuser, re profiled front air intake, revised radiator air exit/ bonnet, new coupe style back with buttress vents:

https://photos.app.g...RHcEiLnPsWH3uy5

#9 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:46 PM

Front end taking shape:

https://photos.app.g...Y6VCjsnU9HH9vQ6

#10 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:53 PM

So, as you can see, it’s a long way from being completed. Moulds need to be made of all parts and thats not a quick job either. Finally paint scheme, electrics, new wheels and all that before I get bored!

#11 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,195 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 09:53 PM

Said it last time, I’ll say it again …

This HAS to get finished Max… it looks superb. Very aggressive.

#12 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• 6,083 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 05:11 PM

Yes, a long way to go ,,, but sso much potential!

#13 joshua

joshua

• 183 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:09 AM

Some very clever design touches inside and out.
It all looks very well integrated with what’s left of the original car.
Will you bond the panelwork to create individual panels then finish the surface before taking final molds?

If it was my design, and although technically more difficult, I would remove the raised ridge between the headlights.

#14 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• 3,076 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:31 AM

Such a brilliant project. Keep going, Max!

#15 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 04:25 PM

Some very clever design touches inside and out.
It all looks very well integrated with what’s left of the original car.
Will you bond the panelwork to create individual panels then finish the surface before taking final molds?

If it was my design, and although technically more difficult, I would remove the raised ridge between the headlights.

Thanks for the kind words. I agree, the front needs reviewing, perhaps altering. The metal edges are just fixed guides. The bodywork will have compound curves between them and the frontal area was always intended to be blended to match in with the bumper curvature.

I will review it after I complete and stabilise the lower rear bumper as I have to maintain correct heights and symmetry. I now realise that the front lower section also has to be strong enough to support the bonnet surfaces and coupe back.

It’s a big learning curve for me.

I genuinely don’t think the overall design of the car is that brilliant. What I do think, is that the method of construction of the bodywork uses new techniques that are genuinely clever and makes major modifications far easier than any of the current methods I have seen on YouTube or the internet.

As for your question. Yes all the panels I’ve completed are extremely stable and strong. The car won’t have clams as per the original, but will be made up of panels bolted together using the original fixing locations (plus new ones) and connecting braces to hold panels strongly together.

Unless the car looks like a properly manufactured car, with tight even panel gaps, near faultless molds and an accurate bolting together process, I won’t be offering the conversion to others.

#16 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 04:30 PM

Such a brilliant project. Keep going, Max!

Cheers, it’s just so much effort when my time is fairly limited. But, It’s not something I can hand over to a company to complete as it can’t be moved from my garage until it’s fully stabilised and I’ve created the overall shape to a good standard. Im still concerned about how to split the panels so that molds can be made for easy assembly.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:13 PM

Looks Ace Max  :tt:  - Is it TT Front lights? Was/Is the wiring tricky for them or am i jumping the gun?!  :ninja:

#18 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:53 PM

Looks Ace Max :tt: - Is it TT Front lights? Was/Is the wiring tricky for them or am i jumping the gun?! :ninja:

They are not TT front lights but A4. I would probably have gone for Seat lights if I was to start again, which I’m not.

My Auto Electrican has tested fronts, rears and wing mirrors and it appears connections are straightforward. There is full Adjustment on the units for the front lights anyway.

#19 MAXR

MAXR

• 2,746 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:39 PM

**intermediate update. 21.10.2021

Rear end:

Up till recently, the rear Audi bumper has been pretty much held on with luck & gorilla tape.

So, it now has an aluminum frame mounted to the rear subframe (only temporary) and which will have the panels mounted to it, giving it much needed strength and far better alignment of the rear end.

I will soon be able to remove the temporary timberwork and be able to support the new coupe back and rear top deck with better accuracy and more importantly really good rigidity.

I will be slightly modifying the central Ferrari 430 rear diffuser exhaust bulge and I will be re-making it lighter with CF fins.

I do think think the central exhaust incorporated into the diffuser works well.

I now have a plan of how to create the rear in a more conventional separate rear bumper with separate diffuser. I will re use the rear Audi towing eye hole with cover.

I’m hoping to have the rear bumper and wings in grey undercoat tomorrow and will post photos for those interested.

The blends That had to be created by using the rear end from a cut down Audi bumper, which also incorporates Mercedes C-Class bumper vents and a lower bumper from a Toyota C-HR and finally the Ferrari 430 aero diffuser have mated surprisingly well. It looks virtually flawless with curvatures and blends that all blend back to the original VX rear wings.

Next will be the rear wheel arches. They will hopefully be an interesting modern enhancement and will make the car look very different from the original & now dated arches.

https://photos.app.g...F9JE2UZHjcp3uT9

#20 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• 6,083 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:42 PM

That is coming together very nicely ! thumbsup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users