First Outing & Tyre Shaving?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 C0linS

C0linS

• 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 01:45 PM

Hi folks,

I’ve been without a suitable track car for a while until I got my VX a couple of months back, so was keen to get the new toy out ASAP. Managed to get out last week at Snett with Mazda on Track.

Weather was as good as could be hoped for and the day ran great. Open pit lane with 80 cars out, which sounds like a lot but most of the time it felt like I had the track to myself. (I was double-checking marshal posts a few times to see if I’d missed a red flag, it was that quiet!)

The car? All good, turned 65 laps without complaint. Brakes getting a bit long during longer stints (on Mintex M1144’s) but no idea what the fluid is, so changing that is my first job. Should probably also look at a gearbox breather and my header tank is now definitely cracked.

Tyres do need looking at though, I’m on high performance road tyres (Yoko Advan V701) which are almost new and really suffering from overheating and rolling the edges of the tread blocks. Before I chuck these for some proper trackday rubber, anyone got any experience or recommendations on tyre shaving? I’m thinking of losing a few mm off the tread will make these nicer on track, still fine in the wet and, for the mileage this car is going to do, won’t hurt my pocket too much on replacing them early. Anyone got any pointers?

Anyway, gratuitous track pic :D

DSC-5265.jpg

#2 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 05:00 PM

Are they standard wheels? I'd probably look at getting some TD's or other to run for your track days as that will open up more/better tyre choice. 

#3 C0linS

C0linS

• 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 10:25 PM

Ah yeah, shouldve said: its on a mix n match 16/17 setup. Standard rears but 16" team dynamics up front, so I could get some proper track tyres but seems a waste when I’ve got decent tyres with plenty life left. I think they would work a lot better on track with a bit less tread on them.

Tried to get a pair of team dynamics rears to match the fronts but apparently they closed their casting foundry during lockdown and havent started back up again. Typical: I've got two sets of wheels that I dont really want, one scruffy mixed set of wheels, and another set of Europa rims in std size that I cant get tyres for lol

#4 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 10:38 AM

I wouldn't bother with the hassle to be honest of tyre shaving. You might find someone is willing to do a swap for tyres. Someone who has some track type tyres that wants some more road geared ones. Or just use up what you have and then go for the tyre you really want. 

#5 C0linS

C0linS

• 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, probably a fair shout. If I find somewhere local that'll do it for not much I might give it a punt, but it's not the right solution long term.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users