Plug And Play Programmable Ecu Or Tuning Software

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MT75

MT75

• 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 01:00 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new here on the forum , and want to ask you if somebody of you have some experience with a plug and play ECU for the original harness. 

ODB tuner:

Does any of you have experience with OBD tuning software from OBD tuner which can be an option for direct programming with the original ECU. Are there any other option ?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks

Regards

Mende (Denmark)

#2 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,536 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 03:58 PM

I think about 95% of the SC conversions uses obdtuner.

Your only alternatives would be a mapping from Courtenay Sport, Klaasen Motorsports or Hitec.

Many have even replaced the above 3 options with obdtuner for more flexibility.

I personally run the obdtuner 2.0 on my SC.

Do you have any specific questions about the software?

#3 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 06:23 PM

Obdtuner for the win.. Idiot proof and flexible... Plus it keeps OEM engine protections and diagnostics in place.

#4 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

STAGE 3.333333333333333333333333333333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 16 November 2021 - 10:37 PM

Im new to odb tuner and not that great with things slightly techy......

It works out of the box for me  :grouphug:

#5 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 10:38 PM

I tune the OEM Delco ECU, but it's a hard task.

I am about to be torpedoed when I change engine in a few months as i'm doing lot of changes that I doubt I can reasonably take account of one step at a time as I do by driving, logging and adjusting. I will probably go for OBDtuner at that point.

If there is something specific you want your Delco ECU to do I might be able to advise.

#6 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:25 AM

Cruise control spliced from an Astra? 🥰

#7 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 10:28 AM

I knew you'd mention that.

Originally I thought there were just hardware implications and using a lightly modified Astra bin would do it.

The conclusion I came to was this:
I would need to track down the flags the Astra bin (Ab) uses for the inputs - speed, RPM, throttle position and overrides (clutch and brake)
Then i'd need to take big lumps of code for the VX bin (Vb) engine calibration into an Ab, then search for the flags again in the new hybrid bin (Hb)
They will probably be moved because the Hb will have grown or shrunk relative to the Ab, so that would be a task.
Then change the code to direct the right parts of the Hb to the new positions of the flags.
And that's just more than i'm willing to do.

I just can't find enough assistance from ripping open other in-period GM bins.
I do have some great early 90s GM code that was broken down and is 9/10 match for a lot of things in the Delco so helps you spot stuff, but i'm at the end of the road really. Fuel, spark, idle speed, EGR, injectors and some miscellaneous bits are where i've ended up and i'm limited by it all being 8 bit anyway.

If I were smart enough to develop some kind of software to edit the bin for me transparently I might keep going, but when you are using a hex editor, compiling, testing, and then doing it all again it just feels so hard. My 'tuning interface' is a spreadsheet that I can copy and paste hex to and from.

#8 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,623 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 17 November 2021 - 04:04 PM

If I were smart enough to develop some kind of software to edit the bin for me transparently I might keep going, but when you are using a hex editor, compiling, testing, and then doing it all again it just feels so hard. My 'tuning interface' is a spreadsheet that I can copy and paste hex to and from.

I use the free editor tunerpro to handle the 8bit/16bit signed / unsigned conversions and tables for motronic bin  , or sometimes WinOLS which is expensive

#9 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 07:56 PM

Yeah I'm an ex GM engineer. Asked my genius level calibrator mate who worked on that controller. He suggested it would be extremely difficult.

#10 MT75

MT75

• 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 09:36 AM

I have looked on the OBD tuner and its really impressive and all I need, the only disadvantage is that the price is quite high and software only works on this car. Price is app.1300 Euros for flashing the ECU and for the software for free programming on that specific ECU/car.   

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,948 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 10:15 AM

It really is a remarkable bit of work but it's certainly not cheap, as all of the cost is upfront.

It makes much more economic sense when you consider how your car might evolve over the years and the cost of expensive and somewhat limited "custom" remaps from the few people who can bodge enough of the calibration tables to make the car drivable. Pay £500 a time to get your car remapped to suit added modifications a couple of times and it soon pays for itself even before the improved functionality it offers. I've spent way too much over the years on mapping this car only to bin it all in favour of the OBDTuner reflash.

Even with the pain of the price, it still compares pretty favourably with the cost of a decent standalone ECU and custom wiring looms, though obviously isn't really portable between different cars. Given some of the EU and country specific MOT/TUV type requirements for not changing originally fitted equipment, it might also be the only viable solution.

#12 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• 4,191 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 10:19 AM

I have looked on the OBD tuner and its really impressive and all I need, the only disadvantage is that the price is quite high and software only works on this car. Price is app.1300 Euros for flashing the ECU and for the software for free programming on that specific ECU/car.   

Used to be ~£750-800.00 - price must have went up significantly

#13 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 06:56 PM

I think its the price for obdtuner pro not for obdtunerV2

#14 MT75

MT75

• 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 11:33 AM

I think its the price for obdtuner pro not for obdtunerV2

Yes its for the OBDtuner Pro, that version gives full access to the ECU. 

#15 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:49 PM

I use the free editor tunerpro to handle the 8bit/16bit signed / unsigned conversions and tables for motronic bin , or sometimes WinOLS which is expensive

Was this for Motronic or for the GM/Delco GMPT 15 in z22se cars?
Motronics seem to have a lot more mask support due to the evolution in their code and wide use in cars people really want to remap. I've found the GM code has some evolution - I use some mid-90s GM masks as references - but a lot of model specific stuff and that seems to be what has dissuaded people from investing too much time.

I've never found a DAMOS/xdf/mask file that will pick up the maps from the GMTP15 in WinOLS or any of the other editors, hence doing it the hard way. I weighed up the effort to try and write a file myself vs. my copy and paste method and in the end I stayed with the copy and paste way as the lesser of two evils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users