#1 DX220

DX220

• PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 01:29 PM

Happy new year folks!  chinky chinky

I've got big problems:

- ABS light coming on

- engine transiently cuts out if you boot it (feels like someone kicking you in the back),

- central locking not working

Local garage electrician said it was the ABS pump

1 month later, reconditioned ABS unit, £600 poorer - all they've managed to do is ruin my brakes (I have to push 6 inches before any bite  :wacko: )

The question: anywhere near Watford I can find someone whole be used to these cars?

Thanks in advance

#2 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 03:27 PM

Probably start with a bit of diagnosis. There is a connector next to the ABS controller under the front bonnet that will allow you to check the continuity to the four corners. This will allow you to identify if any of the wires running to the wheels is causing the ABS issue. I would imagine most ABS issues are down to these being old/brittle/corroded and snapping.

The engine cutting out when you boot it; is yours a turbo? Given you've said central locking I would imagine it's this. Worth getting a cheap OBD2 fault reader and seeing what codes it registers. Given you've said when you boot it there is a cut out I am going to go with MAF/coil pack causing issue. 

The central locking could be all sorts and probably worth sorting afterwards. 

I think Type116 is near you, Chris Redman of this parish knows everything there is to know about these cars and will be able to get you sorted. 

#3 DX220

DX220

• PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 04:13 PM

Probably start with a bit of diagnosis. There is a connector next to the ABS controller under the front bonnet that will allow you to check the continuity to the four corners. This will allow you to identify if any of the wires running to the wheels is causing the ABS issue. I would imagine most ABS issues are down to these being old/brittle/corroded and snapping.

The engine cutting out when you boot it; is yours a turbo? Given you've said central locking I would imagine it's this. Worth getting a cheap OBD2 fault reader and seeing what codes it registers. Given you've said when you boot it there is a cut out I am going to go with MAF/coil pack causing issue. 

I think Type116 is near you, Chris Redman of this parish knows everything there is to know about these cars and will be able to get you sorted. 

Got a cheap OBD2 and a not so cheap one but didn't help me.

The garage got an electrician in specially with fancy equipment and he said ABS

They actually took the connector to the ABS apart to look for loose wires; I had brakes without ABS before, now I don't really have brakes  :(

err. is Type116 not near Leeds? I'm just inside the M25 by the M1

#4 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• 3,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 05:30 PM

You're close(ish) to Joe aka The Batman aka Max88 Performance.. he could collect the car from you, too..

#5 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,275 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 05:33 PM

Not far from me. Drop me a message bud could always collect on the trailer of love

#6 DX220

DX220

• PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 06:19 PM

Not far from me. Drop me a message bud could always collect on the trailer of love

Sent

#7 Hammy of hamhouse

Hammy of hamhouse

• Pip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Cars Hifi. Ex Westfield owner.

Posted 09 January 2022 - 09:52 AM

Sounds as though all theee issues could be related and are electrical- possibly corrosion related
I would look carefully around all the fuse block connections ( back of fuse boxes too) fit signs of water damage.

I’d start in the engine bay , the back up battery for the crntral locking is in there .

#8 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• 6,015 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 19 January 2022 - 12:04 PM

Got a cheap OBD2 and a not so cheap one but didn't help me.

The garage got an electrician in specially with fancy equipment and he said ABS

They actually took the connector to the ABS apart to look for loose wires; I had brakes without ABS before, now I don't really have brakes  :(

The ABS units are a complete b*tch to bleed properly.  Hoffmans had to cycle mine about 10 times before they were confident all the air was out.  This will likely be causing the mechanical braking issues since you replaced it.

Can't help on the electrics.  I'm allergic.  But it's usually an earthing problem....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users