What Is This Abs Unit?

abs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 V96GLF

V96GLF

• 8 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 12:44 PM

Greetings - my first post here, and I'm a Europa S interloper. I'm perhaps being presumptuous by posting straight into the VX220 subforum, but I think fits best here...

I have acquired an Opel ABS ECU type S108196002. It is physically identical to the Lotus/VX220 unit (S108196012 for the 4-channel), but I have no idea whether it is compatible and searching Google for this part number doesn't come up with anything.

Can anyone help identify this unit?

Is it likely to work on a VX220 or Europa S? And if so, is it a 2-channel or 4-channel unit?

Note that it is a lot of work to do the swap on a Europa, as the front clam has to come off, so I'm not going to swap it and see. Fortunately Back-on-Track are being very helpful and can test it on a VX220 for me if I ask them nicely... but I'd rather know what this is before wasting their time.

Attached File  IMG_2573 reduce.jpeg   276.61KB   7 downloads

#2 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,578 posts

Posted 10 May 2022 - 02:23 PM

This is a 2 channel.
There is also S108196009 which is a 2 channel.
Only the S108196012 is a 4 channel.

#3 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:46 AM

Welcome Russell!

#4 V96GLF

V96GLF

• 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 01:00 PM

This is a 2 channel.
There is also S108196009 which is a 2 channel.
Only the S108196012 is a 4 channel.

Damn.

Is there a source for that info?

#5 V96GLF

V96GLF

• 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 01:01 PM

Welcome Russell!

chinky chinky 

Wasn’t expecting to see you here!

#6 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,578 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:04 PM

Is there a source for that info?

Basically all our cars were equiped with this sh*t poor 2 channel abs, so this has been a very hot topic for 21 years.
Go beyond 5% difference from oem wheel/tyre size, and it changes from sh*t poor to basically trying to kill you every chance it has.
We spend a lot of time trying to figure out a way around this design flaw, and tried all sorts of units that were like the 430.
We got nowhere, and either had to resort to cutting the abs sensor wire to just disable the abs, or splunge out the large pile of cash for the 4 channel.

So no; i have no source. You will have to take my word for it.

Edited by smiley, 11 May 2022 - 05:05 PM.

#7 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,207 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 08:55 AM

Don't listen to him! He's a newbie that knows nothing! Smiley has only been here since 2009 :D

(He's right though, spot on advice.... just don't tell him).

#8 V96GLF

V96GLF

• 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 10:06 AM

Okay - thanks. Yes, I believe you  :happy:

The only reason I was asking for an authoritative source is that I'm about to have a dispute with BBA Reman over the £237 that they have charged me for a "repair" that has failed.

For info, I used to run my Europa S with the original 2-channel unit, and for track days and sprints I would disconnect the front left sensor. Then later I got an expensive 4-channel unit, which is absolutely fine for track and sprinting. Actually it is really nice to be able stamp the brake even on a slightly loose surface and it gets it right.

My car is now retired from track and competition use, but I'm keen to keep it with 4-channel ABS.

#9 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,578 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:09 AM

If your 4 channel has an issue, then hopefully it can be repaired, as prices for a new 4 channel are eye watering now

#10 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:53 AM

What's the issue with the 4 channel one? The two channels end up with dry solder joints that can easily be repaired

#11 V96GLF

V96GLF

• 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:51 AM

It's a long story!

I have been running a 4-channel ABS in my Europa for several years. It was an eBay purchase of a used Exige unit.

A few months ago it started to become intermittent, i.e. it would throw up an ABS fault warning light. Then it went from intermittent to complete failure. At that time, Back-on-Track tried their ODB-II scanner, and the unit was not detected.

I purchased another 4-channel unit from Junks (yes, it was expensive - not Phil's fault), which has been fitted and is now running absolutely fine in my car.

Since they are so scarce now, I thought it might be worth reviving the failed unit, and I spoke to BBA Reman, who claimed they would be able to repair it for £237.60. The unit was duly sent off to them, and when they sent it back it had clearly been worked on since the plastic casing appears to have been cut open and then welded back. I didn't want to test it on my Europa because that requires removing the front clam, but instead I took it to Back-on-Track where Jez and Sam were kind enough to try it out on a VX220. It didn't work: the car indicated an ABS fault, and the unit was not detected by their scanner. They tried a couple of times just to be sure, swapping back and forth between a working unit and mine.

Of course I contacted BBA Reman again, and they asked for the unit to be returned. Next they contacted me to say that there is no fault found and the unit is working well in their test rig (I'd like to know what this is!). They then said "we've got another with the same part number here - can we send you that one?", to which I agreed. This turned out to be the Opel unit in the photo, and they also sent me back my original Exige unit.

Following identification in this thread that the Opel is a 2-channel ABS, I didn't bother to get it tested. It is of no use to me, and of course I still have my original Europa 2-channel ABS in case that is ever needed. So I contacted BBA Reman, and asked for a refund. They were prepared to agree to this, but suggested that they could have a third attempt at fixing mine "with a more senior technician". So both units - mine and the Opel one - have now been sent back to them, and we await further news...  

Edited by V96GLF, 16 May 2022 - 09:53 AM.

#12 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 09:08 PM

Good luck! Hope they can repair the 4 channel one!

#13 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

Super Duper Member

• 517 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:36 AM

Out of interest, has it had a 'reset' with the Lotus yellow lead?  Do BOT have that facility?

They don't communicate with the Vauxhall scanners, as such they need to be taken to a Lotus dealer.  Could it be that the unit has been 'factory reset' and just needs a prod with the yellow lead?

#14 V96GLF

V96GLF

• 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:11 AM

Out of interest, has it had a 'reset' with the Lotus yellow lead?  Do BOT have that facility?

They don't communicate with the Vauxhall scanners, as such they need to be taken to a Lotus dealer.  Could it be that the unit has been 'factory reset' and just needs a prod with the yellow lead?

I don't know, but it sounds like a possibility. I'll check with BoT next time around.

#15 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,207 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:24 AM

Yes, when I had the 4chan fitted to my SC VX220 many moons ago, I had to drive to Maidstone Sports Cars (from West Berkshire) to get them to activate it with the yellow lead...

#16 Lee37vernon

Lee37vernon

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 09:01 PM

I'm at back on track tomorrow, I'll ask Jez. Bell and colville service is now only 100m up the road there too ..

#17 V96GLF

V96GLF

• 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 07:29 AM

I'm at back on track tomorrow, I'll ask Jez. Bell and colville service is now only 100m up the road there too ..

Jez won’t be aware of the latest twist (the Opel unit) that gave rise to this thread - but as and when BBA next send me something I’ll be going to see him.

I think the interesting question is this: If the unit has been reset, would BoT’s scanner be able to see it?

#18 Lee37vernon

Lee37vernon

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:57 AM

Bring it, try it in another VX is the answer

#19 V96GLF

V96GLF

• 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 12:38 PM

It's been a while, but I just had a phone call from BBA Reman. To summarise:

BBA: "Why did you send the Opel unit back? It will work on your car"

Me: "It is a 2-channel unit, not a 4-channel unit"

BBA: "Yes, but it will work"

So far I've been trying to avoid being too critical of BBA... but let's just say they shouldn't expect a 5-star review from me  :angry2:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users