noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:36 AM

I am receiving MAX R's car soon at Customs in Yokohama (end of the month) and rather unexpectedly after customs clearance to pass the emissions test (supposed very strict) it will probably need to standard (or functioning as standard at least)

What can be left in place and what would need to be temporarily removed/unplugged?

I don not want to remove charge cooler etc unless I really have to because as soon as emissions is passed it will go back to its current condition.

My thinking would be replace ECU, VXR injectors (?) fit standard exhaust 

remove supercharger (?)

An alternative way of putting this would be what can I leave in place as to save time/money

All with as many used parts as possible

This is a complex issue I guess and any help and advice will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

#2 martinf

martinf

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 06:37 AM

For a speedy solution , would it perhaps be worth considering dropping in a stock engine - there's one on ebay.uk at the mo.

Coincidentally we lived in Japan (Yokohama) for 18 months back in the early 90's, so I know how difficult iot was to pass the MOT (was it called Shakin?).

Just a thought.

#3 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 07:49 AM

Thanks, that is another idea but need to find one here though.

MOT is shaken - (sha-ken) so yeah pretty much correct. Should have just bought car here and supercharged but thought this was the easier and cheaper way (little did I know)

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,959 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 09:03 AM

You could leave the chargecooler rad and pipework in place and just cap off the hoses and disable the electric water pump along with removing the supercharger and SC inlet manifold/charge cooler.

Not sure what spec Max's car was, but if it's got the OBDTuner upgrade to the ECU, you could just upload a standard map on to it and replace the throttle body (throttle body wiring loom will need reverting back to standard), injectors (might need the injector wiring connector plugs changing back to suit OEM injectors if you do have VXR injectors fitted) and inlet manifold to restore it back to an effectively standard setup. Don't forget inlet manifold and throttle body gaskets to suit. You may also need to change or modify the air inlet pipework to fit with the standard throttle body, if the size of that has been increased with the SC conversion. If the Japanese inspectors really want to see a standard car like some of the European countries want, then you might even need the standard air box, filter and inlet pipework. Dunno. I remember one guy trying to import a UK VX into Europe (might have been Belgium) and their MOT-equivalent inspectors decided the standard blue anti-roll bar must have been aftermarket as it was blue and him having to jump through hoops with Vauxhall and Lotus to try and prove that it was the standard part.

If the ECU isn't OBDTuner'd, that will make things more complex as to restore back to standard. In addition to the above it will mean a replacement ECU with which you'll also need the matching key transponder chips and the ignition transponder. Those can all be had secondhand but the VX220 ECU map is specific to the configuration of the standard VX and obviously doesn't have things like air conditioning on traction control that some Astra or Vectra donor cars might have in their ECU configurations, so you'll need the ECU to come from a VX or the capability to reflash the ECU with a standard VX220 map.

Hopefully, you're not having to do all of that dockside and can at least get it to a workshop first.

#5 Ivor

Ivor

Scary Internerd

• 2,264 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 12 May 2022 - 09:11 AM

All in all, good reasons to have a Turbo, hope you get it sorted, sounds quite painful

#6 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,578 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:18 AM

If i read your post correct, passing the emission test is crucial, and the fact that it is modded is acceptable?
If the japanse emisions test is the same as the UK, then your only focus is an airtight exhaust system, a good working cat and healthy lambda sensors.

#7 Arno

Arno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:51 AM

If the car has something like a remapped ECU with OBDtuner then you don't need to do too much in that area. Perhaps (re)enable and install a post-cat lambda sensor if that has been deactivated. You may have gotten the PC software, OBD cable and software-key with the car in that case?

It also depends on what/how they want to do the emission/import test. Is it like an MOT with (fast) idle test or a drive test? Also, will they do more like a noise level test?

The bare minimum I'd expect would be to just put on a shorter belt (if possible) and then just don't spin the SC and perhaps fit an OEM cat/downpipe to get the best emission results.

That way it will run quite normal like an N/A, but as it's restricted in airflow volume by the small diameter bypass valve in the SC it will be quite down on power when under load so any driving test will work but just be terribly underpowered and slow (aka. it will have an effective 60Hp or so  :D  ). Just like a car that has a restrictor on the inlet.

Won't harm anything as the ECU (if it has OBDtuner in it) has the calibration for the injectors and it will just see the low pressure in the intake manifold and run it on the part-load and no boost section of the map, which would likely still be largely the same as the OEM map.

If they expect to do a noise test and such as part of the certification then you'd also likely need the OEM silencer and original airbox and filter.

I suspect it's very important that you try to find out exactly what's required for the test.. Eg. is a removed EGR valve a 'fail' but one that's present (but not working) a 'pass'?. LIke mentioned above the amount of work needed can vary a lot if it has to 'look' OEM too or if it just needs to have any power-adders bypassed but still in place. IN the latter case you can work within the rules to comply but just for the test.. :glare:

Bye, Arno.

#8 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:30 PM

As far as I know at the moment its a gas test/emission test and noise at 4000 rpm no leaks in any pipework, standars parts with an E mark for exhaust etc and all bushes in good condition. The emissions and e-marks are the main issues. Meeting with the import agent who is a friend of a friend soon.

Thanks to everyone so far for great advice

#9 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:31 PM

I dont know if its OBD tuner as Max`s post just says Custom ECU

#10 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:38 PM

From what has been described so far is this a clam off job?

#11 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:39 PM

Exhaust is a must but sourcing one is another matter altogether, only found used backbox so far

#12 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,578 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:18 PM

From what has been described so far is this a clam off job?

I can do all my exhaust downpipe/cat/backbox work by driving the rear on these 30cm iron stands, then remove the diffuser and engine bottom plate.
Exhaust manifold is from the top.

#13 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,578 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:21 PM

Exhaust is a must but sourcing one is another matter altogether, only found used backbox so far

Most youngsters use facebook these days. Make sure to check out:

https://www.facebook...speedster.parts

And the main group

https://www.facebook...oups/2243368893

Due to the ebay charges a lot of owners use either facebook or other means to sell parts.
In Germany ebay kleinanzeigen is popular.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de

#14 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:01 PM

If you know the security code for the immobiliser - a 4 digit code sometimes called Car pass and on a card with the handbook pack - then i can write you a 2.2 PCM with a standard map that will drop right in for the cost of the postage + £10 for the PCM. I have lots of them.

I can switch the EGR valve off in the software if needed too.

If you don't know the code I can tell you how to get it, but it needs an MPPS or similar.

I also have a spare set of std 2.2 injectors if needed.

Edited by blackoctagon, 12 May 2022 - 05:02 PM.

#15 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 09:28 PM

If you know the security code for the immobiliser - a 4 digit code sometimes called Car pass and on a card with the handbook pack - then i can write you a 2.2 PCM with a standard map that will drop right in for the cost of the postage + £10 for the PCM. I have lots of them.

If you don't know the code I can tell you how to get it, but it needs an MPPS or similar.

I would definately need standard injectors as it has VXR injectors on it now and the import guy here said that the VXR injectors would be a problem.

PCM? 

I dont know the code for the immobiliser and I have no idea what a MPPS is sorry - if you can explain more, that would be great. 

I know I have a hard job coming but am willing to learn so all help from this forum will be really appreciated. Most Ive done on a VX (a long time ago) was change the suspension and mod the airbox (turbo) so this will be a steep learning curve. 

Thank you

#16 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:25 PM

You could leave the chargecooler rad and pipework in place and just cap off the hoses and disable the electric water pump along with removing the supercharger and SC inlet manifold/charge cooler.

Not sure what spec Max's car was, but if it's got the OBDTuner upgrade to the ECU, you could just upload a standard map on to it and replace the throttle body (throttle body wiring loom will need reverting back to standard), injectors (might need the injector wiring connector plugs changing back to suit OEM injectors if you do have VXR injectors fitted) and inlet manifold to restore it back to an effectively standard setup. Don't forget inlet manifold and throttle body gaskets to suit. You may also need to change or modify the air inlet pipework to fit with the standard throttle body, if the size of that has been increased with the SC conversion. If the Japanese inspectors really want to see a standard car like some of the European countries want, then you might even need the standard air box, filter and inlet pipework. Dunno. I remember one guy trying to import a UK VX into Europe (might have been Belgium) and their MOT-equivalent inspectors decided the standard blue anti-roll bar must have been aftermarket as it was blue and him having to jump through hoops with Vauxhall and Lotus to try and prove that it was the standard part.

If the ECU isn't OBDTuner'd, that will make things more complex as to restore back to standard. In addition to the above it will mean a replacement ECU with which you'll also need the matching key transponder chips and the ignition transponder. Those can all be had secondhand but the VX220 ECU map is specific to the configuration of the standard VX and obviously doesn't have things like air conditioning on traction control that some Astra or Vectra donor cars might have in their ECU configurations, so you'll need the ECU to come from a VX or the capability to reflash the ECU with a standard VX220 map.

Hopefully, you're not having to do all of that dockside and can at least get it to a workshop first.

To get car from dock I just need to pay import tax, fill out some forms and show my proof of shipping, bill of sale, V5 etc

This information is brilliant, thank you so much. 

#17 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:26 PM

Just like to say that no doubt I will be back for more help and it is greatly appreciated - 8 years since my last VX and great to see some familiar names still here and still helping out

#18 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:50 PM

I've just remembered what car pass is (long time ago and fuzzy memory) hopefully its in the car when it arrives

PCM (power control module) is this just another name for ECU or a seperate unit? If I understand you correctly you can supply me with a 2.2 PCM (possible same as ECU) with a 2.2 map installed - This would be amazing

Thank you

#19 noplex

noplex

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
    Rugby
    Art

Posted 15 May 2022 - 01:43 PM

So I met with the import coordinator (basically the guy who will liase with the workshop to prepare my car for the test) He says that the C02 emissions and the gas leak test are the hardest part to pass. The car needs to emit same C02 as standard car. What ever way it achieves that maybe it doesnt matter but that parts like exhaust need a certification (e mark) so like a standard OEM part or new approved supplier in the case that the manufacturer has  stopped making.

I need a standard catalytic convertor and down pipe with pre-cat for sure. And I may need to control how much fuel is going in to make sure it is not running too rich

They also conduct a noise test for max 96 DB at 4000 rpm (not sure how load the supercharger is at this rev range?)

So supercharger can stay in place but emissions and e marked parts is key to passing tests

#20 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,578 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 02:37 PM

The E marking will be an interesting challange.

Have a look at this back box for example, with the marking between the 1 tips:

https://www.ebay-kle...158098-223-2012

No e-number in sight, and i don't think the downpipe has either.

The oem cat had a precat and cat that was 400 cells.
Now 20 years later, that has very often been "upgraded", where the original ended up in the bin as it had little value.

Everybody here could easily pass MOT with an aftermarket version of choice.

The backboxes are still around, but usually missing parts like the 2 hangers, or the u-bend to connect it to the downpipe.

The oem backbox was a baffeled system, where as some aftermarket use absorption.
The baffeled one is the most silent.

1 step back here.
OEM the underside of the VX220 has a large plate under the engine, and a diffuser plate under the backbox part.
So no way the inspection can look for e-marks, without taking your car apart. Are they allowed to do that?
If not, then you just need to focus on a system that has a cat that can pass emissions, and a backbox that can make the noise test.

Do you know what is currently in the car? (manifold, downpipe with cat and backbox)

This is what the bottom looks like.

onderkant.jpg

Edited by smiley, 15 May 2022 - 02:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users