Suspension Refresh Plan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 martinf

martinf

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 06:37 AM

I have an 2.2 NA which I use 90% on the road with occasional 10% track use and I'm considering a suspension upgrade to replace the original Bilstiens and OEM ARB.

Although I'm pretty happy with it's road manners (although I do find it a bit 'crashy' on road sometimes), on the track I found it pretty 'wollowey' and not very nimble on the corners. I watched the other Elises/Exiges/Evoras on track and they were able to get round the bends using a much tighter line. I accept that part of this could/will be my driving, but some is definitely the car.

So, after much reading here and elsewhere I'm thinking of either Nitron NSS/Qauntum one-zero and an adjustable ARB. I see that Elise parts offer either a 7/8" bar or a 1" bar, both adjustable. I'm also going to go for a 16"/17" wheel setup.

The aim is to improve it's behaviour on track, but not at the expense of it's road manners.

Grateful for any opinions/suggestions based on the above. Thanks.

#2 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• 6,226 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:06 PM

How old are the bushes and balljoints?

#3 martinf

martinf

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 May 2022 - 08:46 AM

How old are the bushes and balljoints?

Most have been replaced already, any that I haven't already done will get sorted when the time comes.

#4 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,114 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 08:54 AM

I would also consider the Gaz Monos with 450/550 spring rates. 

it would be easy to just say "go grab the 12 arb" but i would hold off on the ARB until you have installed and tried the new shocks, get used to the shockers and get them setup how you like it and then have a look at installing the ARB if you feel you need it. 

its easy to install at a later date. 

#5 martinf

martinf

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Chris. From what I've heard and read, Gaz don't seem to be as highly regarded as Nitron and Quantums, but I'll certainly take your suggestion about not doing the ARB until I've got the shocks and springs setup properly.

#6 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Chris. From what I've heard and read, Gaz don't seem to be as highly regarded as Nitron and Quantums, but I'll certainly take your suggestion about not doing the ARB until I've got the shocks and springs setup properly.

Yes, its quite unfortunate, I think historically that stemmed from the GazGolds cracking their tubes because they were too thin, The GGP2's rectified this as have since being quite reliable but are certainly not on the same level as the Nitron and Quantums, mainly because of the internal damper design. i have always found monotubes to be far more compliant out of the box, thats not to say a well done twin tube cant be, but taking whats currently available the monotubes are the ones to go for. 

The gaz monos are level pegged with the mid range Nitrons, i ran them for years, really good, i have just recently changed them to a 2 way nitron so i can get more control. I'm yet to set them up properly but from the face of it they dont really seem all that different to my Gaz Monos, although it is nice to be able to adjust the bump/rebound independantly.  

I have had customers who have previously bought Gaz Monos and after replaced with the Nitron Clubsports and they admit they shouldnt of bothered spending the extra.. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users