12 replies to this topic

#1 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 22 May 2022 - 02:54 PM

So The VXT died  on me just after crossing the new Mersey Gateway Bridge.  No warning, engine just died and I was lucky to have a relatively safe place to pull off where a sliproad joined.  Engine temps were O.K. and the only obvious thing was that the fuel pump wasn't running.  AA couldn't source the fault, thinking it was a duff sensor somewhere.  They did however manage to arm the alarm which hasn't worked for two years, which was fun because I didn't have the fob with me.  OBD is showing no error codes, but I don't know if the AA cancelled them all.  Other than that I haven't a clue as to why it just died with no warning.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

#2 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 03:54 PM

Check the relays in the boot ? sounds like the fuel pump one decided to pack up or was disconnected.

#3 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,578 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:27 PM

There is a fuel cut of switch in the back mounted to the left side of the chassic.
You would have to hit a pretty big pothole to trigger it though.

#4 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  Didn't hit any bumps along the way so relays it is when I get the chance.  Been so busy I haven't had time to have a proper look yet plus the weather has not been good.   Had to run the car downhill into its parking space off the road but it's at the wrong angle to be able to push it backwards in to the garage.  I don't think the petrol pump has died because it's an almost new Spitfire one.

#5 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 06:42 PM

I've had the case of the relays once because I had put too many bags in the back. Key symptom is that on key on the pump doesn't prime... the relays looked in but there was probably a bad contact somewhere

#6 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,578 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 07:21 PM

Fuel pump relay in the back is the grey one.
You can swap it from one of the set of 4 in the front. (first one closest to headlamp is the one from the horn)

#7 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 09:55 PM

Ensure the fuel cutoff switch is pressed in.

Check the 20A yellow fuel pump fuse.

Check the grey fuel pump relay (thankfully its the same Bosch part number as the horn in the Front relay box, so swap it out to try)

Note 1 : Fuel pump only primes if the fuel rail is not pressurised so it does not prime on every turn of the key necessarily.

Note 2 : If the car splutters into life (fingers crossed) you will probably have an EML for misfire on every cylinder that needs to be cleared.

Turbo%20boot%20relays%20and%20fuses%20JP

#8 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

Super Duper Member

• 517 posts

Posted 24 May 2022 - 04:59 AM

Double check the battery terminals, alarm IIRC, arms when the battery disconnects. Don’t know if a momentary short, would cause the same scenario then mess with the immobiliser, which prevents the fuel pump from operating?

#9 Dannyf1981

Dannyf1981

• 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:52 PM

Crank sensor

#10 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 10:11 AM

Crank sensor

Not quite sure what's going on here - this is the third time I've responded on this topic, once before going on holiday and the second time yesterday and neither post has shown..

Battery connections OK, fuel pump relay and fuel pump working,, cut off switch accessed and pressed (rear wheel a arch liner off jobbie because of charge cooler header tank) and still no joy so crank sensor next.

I don't know where it is and yesterday with brilliant sunshine peering in the dark depths of the engine bay was difficult to say the least.  A search on here has only revealed the whereabouts of the NA crank sensor so if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Thanks

#11 Bloke

Bloke

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:10 PM

Got a code reader? If so plug it in and just look at rpm on live data when you crank it.

#12 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,959 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 03:11 PM

Not sure it's reachable from the top but you'll struggle to see it from the top as it's immediately beneath the starter motor.

#13 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:33 AM

Not sure it's reachable from the top but you'll struggle to see it from the top as it's immediately beneath the starter motor.

Not sure it's reachable from the top but you'll struggle to see it from the top as it's immediately beneath the starter motorSo, two days of high winds and torrential rain have eased sufficiently for me to take a gander.  It's a narrow window, more heavy rain in from the Atlantic this evening.   I've sourced a new reputable make sensor at half the price of the elise shop.  It may not be the sensor that's faulty but with these cars the age they are I basically renew anything I need to have access to anyway as a matter of  No access from the offside with the wheelarch liner off, so does anyone know whether it's rear undertray off accessible or if the alternator needs to be removed?

Thanks

ob

So, two days of high winds and torrential rain have eased sufficiently for me to take a gander.  It's a narrow window, more heavy rain in from the Atlantic this evening.   I've sourced a new reputable make sensor at half the price of the elise shop.  It may not be the sensor that's faulty but with these cars the age they are I basically renew anything I need to have access to anyway as a matter of  No access from the offside with the wheelarch liner off, so does anyone know whether it's rear undertray off accessible or if the alternator needs to be removed?

Thanks

ob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users