cylinderhd

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TerryD

TerryD

• 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2022 - 09:46 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just joined this forum, please to meet you. I would be extremely grateful if someone can help.

Owned a NA VX220 since 2013, covered 38K, just had its 21st service at a Vauxhall dealer & they have advised that there is a small crack in the cylinder head, #4 cylinder - I'm totally gutted  :angry2:

Can anyone recommend where I could go to get this fixed?

#2 Baron Von Scubadaddy

Baron Von Scubadaddy

SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,658 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Cars,..... ! spending time asking questions about why my car won't work

Posted 15 June 2022 - 10:10 PM

THE BATMAN.........

#3 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,526 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 15 June 2022 - 10:33 PM

Isn't this just where they have over tightened the plugs??

#4 Arno

Arno

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 06:31 AM

Isn't this just where they have over tightened the plugs??

Yeah.. Unfortunately that will be the most likely explanation :(

Someone at the garage not paying attention and gronking down on the sparkplug torque thinking it's a flat-with-sealing-washer type and not the tapered-seat on the Z22 and hey presto, cracked head.. :angry:

Bye, Arno.

#5 ayresyy

ayresyy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 07:24 PM

Hi Everyone,
Just joined this forum, please to meet you. I would be extremely grateful if someone can help.
Owned a NA VX220 since 2013, covered 38K, just had its 21st service at a Vauxhall dealer & they have advised that there is a small crack in the cylinder head, #4 cylinder - I'm totally gutted :angry2:
Can anyone recommend where I could go to get this fixed?

Interested to know how they detected the crack during a simple service?

Had the car been running fine up to this point? Maybe me just being cynical, but it’s possible they caused the issue in the first place..

#6 TerryD

TerryD

• 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 08:50 PM

The mechanic told me that he had noticed deposits on the sparkplug when he removed it during the service. He also said that if you shine a light into the cylinder you can see some staining, presumably from the coolant fluid.

I haven't used the car much in the past year or so. It has been running fine & I haven't had to top-up the coolant.

It did cross my mind that the issue was cause by over tightening the plug, possibly on a previous service by the same dealer. When I collected the car, the mechanic at the dealer also advised that this was a potential cause.

Bottom line is I can't prove anything, so I have no alternative but to get it fixed (I'm too honest & won't trade it in for something else & pass on the problem). So if anyone can recommend somewhere I can get it fixed it would be greatly appreciated.

#7 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• 883 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 06:31 PM

The mechanic told me that he had noticed deposits on the sparkplug when he removed it during the service. He also said that if you shine a light into the cylinder you can see some staining, presumably from the coolant fluid.

I haven't used the car much in the past year or so. It has been running fine & I haven't had to top-up the coolant.

It did cross my mind that the issue was cause by over tightening the plug, possibly on a previous service by the same dealer. When I collected the car, the mechanic at the dealer also advised that this was a potential cause.

Bottom line is I can't prove anything, so I have no alternative but to get it fixed (I'm too honest & won't trade it in for something else & pass on the problem). So if anyone can recommend somewhere I can get it fixed it would be greatly appreciated.

As per previous post - THE BATMAN, aka Joe at www.max88performance.co.uk, based down Aylesbury way.

Alternatively, in the north you have Chris at www.Type116motorsport.co.uk, Leeds way iirc.

#8 Bloke

Bloke

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 June 2022 - 09:58 PM

If its just the plug thread can easily be repaired with a timesert. Have done loads of them over the years and never had an issue.

#9 TerryD

TerryD

• 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback / advice.

I now realise The Batman is a forum member :blush:

#10 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,117 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 07:32 PM

Im up in the northern territory, your best bet from where you are would be to go to Joe. 

let me know if i can help in any way. 

#11 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,154 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:42 AM

Happened to me when I took it to a Vauxhall dealers for a service. I managed to convince them that they had done it and they replaced the head. The crack was in #4 and went from the thread to the outside if the pot. Coolant was seeping into the pot.

#12 TerryD

TerryD

• 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback & to THE BATMAN, aka Joe at www.max88performance.co.uk & Vocky I'm back up & running  :happy: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users