Jackup Points

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Davey

Davey

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:14 PM

Hi, Dont mean to sound thick!!!! :rolleyes: Been trying to change my headlight bulbs and having a few problems with the left hand side the bolt is just spinning with the nut and wont undo. So read that another way to get to the lights is to take the wheel off and go in through the wheel arch covers. Spoke to a bloke from Vauxhall and he wouldnt tell me over the phone nor could he email the diagram to me! :beat: So need to jack the car up with a normal jack but I'm unsure where the jackup points are? Can anyone help please? :wacko: Cheers Dave :D

#2 Smiler

Smiler

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:20 PM

centre of the car mate go to centre of the sill.. stick head under.... should be a sticker either side.. have a good look under ..

#3 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:22 PM

It's almost in line with the back of the door - as said above, there should be a sticker there

Edited by Jim_Cross, 26 October 2004 - 04:22 PM.

#4 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:23 PM

mine has fallen off :unsure:

#5 Davey

Davey

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:24 PM

Nice one gents, Can just make out the picture had to rub some crap off first, is ok to use a normal jack or has it got to be a four point jack? :unsure: Cheers Dave

#6 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:25 PM

normal jack with wood block thumbsup

#7 Davey

Davey

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:27 PM

Get stuff , can try and get the other bulb before it gets dark!! :D This forum is class!!!! Imnotworthy Imnotworthy Once again thanks

#8 Smiler

Smiler

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:32 PM

Funny thing is.. when I went to get my rears changed.. they guy had those air cushion jacks! well smart.. jacked up one side..both wheels up!! worked a treat.. so I was walking off to have a smoke.. just waited an extra second.. to see him grab another and go to the other side :o :o :o erm! one side at a time pal! unless ya can be sure it won't tip!! lol.. ahh dear .. some people!

#9 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 26 October 2004 - 04:46 PM

Be careful using a trolley jack, as they said put some wood or/plus a mouse mat under the car part to stop it slipping, I would also suggest, trying to put something to garuntee the trolley jack doesnt move, as Iknow its happened to many people (inc me) resulting in some damage. Martin s

#10 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 08:25 AM

The wheels in a trolley jack are designed to move as you jack the car up. As you raise the car, the jacking point will move inwards a few cms. If the trolley jack is fixed in place, the car could slide off.

#11 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 27 October 2004 - 04:22 PM

I meant once the car had fifnished being raised, as I dont think the car can ever really garuntee the centre of gravity and thus the jackingbpoint as a basis for one jacking point, and certainly the imbalance can push the trolley jack and it goes walkies. I'm no jack expert but surely its ok to fix it in place somehow once the cars up? Martin s

#12 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 05:13 PM

Jacking points, anyone? thumbsup

Attached Files

#13 MartinS

MartinS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:45 AM

Dont ant to sound daft, but that jacking points diagram, is that for a VX? as the only labelled jacking point I've seen is labelled with a sticker under the mid edge of the car, none of the above? Wheres that plan from? Martin s

#14 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 07:59 AM

Think its from the TIS CD. (but my VX don´t look that way) It basically shows that u can jack at the back end of the suspension, which seem fair and logical, and at the ends of the longitudal beams (where it meets a transverse beam?)

#15 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:43 AM

The rear & foremost jacking points shown (i.e. the ones at the top) are only for use with a 4 point lift, or for use in rear & front pairs (i.e. lift just the back, or just the front). You can twist the chassis by just lifting at 1 of these points. Also the rear ones are under, or rather above, the undertray - so unless you've got a pit/lift, you'll need to jack the car up to get to these anyway... HTH

#16 ciderbooze

ciderbooze

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Interests:cars, fishing, beer, football.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

The rear & foremost jacking points shown (i.e. the ones at the top) are only for use with a 4 point lift, or for use in rear & front pairs (i.e. lift just the back, or just the front). You can twist the chassis by just lifting at 1 of these points.

Also the rear ones are under, or rather above, the undertray - so unless you've got a pit/lift, you'll need to jack the car up to get to these anyway...

HTH

so to remove both wheels on one side of the car you would jack from the centre then support at front and rear with axle stands?

thats my plan for replacing the pads and disks this weekend.

anything wrong with that? i am paranoid of twisting things but cant see how this method would lead to any damage.

#17 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:01 PM

to remove both wheels on one side of the car you would jack from the centre then support at front and rear with axle stands?

thumbsup – though I would just have the axle stands in place with wood on top of them and lightly in contact with the front and rear points, but with the jack still carrying the weight.

It is cool how you can lift front and back from the one point with the blue sticker. Front and back points are for 4-point lift, as already mentioned above. Just sussed this yesterday when I had my Pagids fitted and front discs reground (slight scouring after went to the metal at Hock. at end of the last session). Bedded them in last night – mindblowing :o thumbsup thumbsup even on standard front rubber – must be able to stop virtually instantaneously on Imnotworthy Yokos. Tons of black dust though... am I worried?... NO! :D

#18 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:27 PM

normal jack with wood block thumbsup

Daft question, presumably the wood block goes longways to the car ie front to back? :(

#19 Smiler

Smiler

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:04 PM

Squere piece of wood.. just to stop the jack scratching the car .. and slippige.. about the size of a CD case dude.. bout 1or 2 inchs high should do it...

#20 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:59 PM

Thanks, thought it might be to spread the load and wasn't sure which way to spread it :blink: chinky chinky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users