Pre-cat R.i.p.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Interests:Bikes,TT,Isle Of Man,VX's, investigations to where my money goes each month,

Posted 19 May 2003 - 09:20 AM

:D Spent Sunday drving down to Cornwall and visiting Griffo, got my lightning up on ramps and removed the pre-cat(Well Griffo Did :rolleyes: ) Upon driving back from Cornwall had to pull in twice as she coughed,spluttered and farted :unsure: but eventually she cleared herself and DID I NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE:- FCUK YES. My sports exhaust sounds even better, really nice gurgle to it and dbs have increased but most importantly she flies through the rev range now. Its like b4 I was towing a caravan and then suddendly someone chopped the caravan off. It is a DEFINATE improvement and such as shame they have this crap in there in the first place. Thanks also to the Rover driver who flashed me on the A30 to warn of the dozen or so coppers waiting to nick innocent drivers like me B) Nice one griffo and an absolute pleasure to meet you, thanks to Mrs Griffo for the refreshments as well. If anyone else is in the Cornwall area drop griffo a line, the blokes a gem Jez :groupjump:

Edited by Jez, 19 May 2003 - 09:20 AM.

#2 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:01 AM

Really?? THAT different?? How long did it take?? Griffo should be getting good at it now, just wish i was a bit closer... ARSE!

#3 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Cars, Bikes, Birds, having fun.

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:14 AM

I plan on fitting a Milltek zorst when they are available. Sorry to be so ignorant but should I still ditch the pre-cat and if so ....... Griffo please........!!!!! cheers!

#4 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Interests:Bikes,TT,Isle Of Man,VX's, investigations to where my money goes each month,

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:17 AM

:D Yes for me it made a big difference, took about 3 hours to do it properly as long as bolts have not gone rusty and stuck but longer obviously if these are a problem. Griffo is very good at it and too be honest I am useless with car mechanics, so it was worth the 2.5 hours drive down, shame about the weather though, I think we had the top off for about 15 miles :D

#5 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:19 AM

should I still ditch the pre-cat and if so ....... Griffo please........!!!!!

cheers!

:rolleyes: Yes put it too sleep its a horrible thing :groupjump:

#6 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:20 AM

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. What's the deal with removing the pre cat when it comes to insurance? OK, fitting an induction kit or sports exhaust is pretty clear cut and the insurance companies have little tick boxes in their computer systems for those. But how do you explain a bloody pre-cat removal! Has anyone bothered?

#7 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:27 AM

Hi Jase When I rang up my insurers (Bell) and told them about the Vauxhall Sports Exhaust, they said to me, no change in payment as this was not officially a Mod because it was a VAUXHALL sports exhaust. So for this precat removal I am not even going to bother, they would not have a clue where to start Jez

#8 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:31 AM

But how do you explain a bloody pre-cat removal! Has anyone bothered?

It's a good question. I plan on doing this mod (not myself though) and I don't think I'll notify since I've already told them about the sports exhaust and you could argue that the exhaust system is all one thing.

I have another question. Is there a benefit to fitting the sports cat over just removing the pre-cat?

#9 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:36 AM

I am no expert but you will benefit from changing too a sports cat but you would also benefit even more if at the same time you killed the pre cat as this should allow increase air flow. Griffo correct me if I am talking crap :D

#10 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:54 AM

When I rang up my insurers (Bell) and told them about the Vauxhall Sports Exhaust, they said to me, no change in payment as this was not officially a Mod because it was a VAUXHALL sports exhaust

Interesting! I wonder whether they will take the same view for the Sprint upgrade bits and pieces?

#11 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 19 May 2003 - 10:55 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...months ago, I would have never imagined that my casual remark "oh, btw, I ALSO removed the pre-kat..." would have stirred up such a domino effect..... B) :P :D I bet pretty soon Vauxhall shops will offer it as a "non-official" mod, so to capitalize on this frenzy-growing business..... :lol:

#12 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:00 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
...months ago, I would have never imagined that my casual remark "oh, btw, I ALSO removed the pre-kat..." would have stirred up such a domino effect..... B) :P :D
I bet pretty soon Vauxhall shops will offer it as a "non-official" mod, so to capitalize on this frenzy-growing business..... :lol:

:D Options List

CD Player
Hard Top
Sports exhaust
Removal of horrible crappy pre-cat
:groupjump:

#13 Beergut

Beergut

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:16 AM

Jez Whereabouts in Griffo as I'm in Devon, not too far to go. One question, does removing the pre cat alter the emissions for MOT time ? Nigel

#14 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:20 AM

Hi Nigel Griffo is based near Falmouth, I have been informed that it will pay NO role what so ever in the MOT, which is cool, obviously if you removed the cat itself this would cause a problem(You would just refit b4 the MOT) The pre cat only comes into effect on cold starts which they do not test, the pre-cat does not become law until 2005, thus vehicles registered AFTER and Inc 2005 must have the pre cat in place Hope this helps, it also helped me watching Griffo do the job as i now know the car that bit better. Jez

#15 johnvx220

johnvx220

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Interests:Getting the top off, wife does know yet, other car club.

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:51 AM

Beergut Sorry you could not make Sunday, I had my pre cat removed in Plymouth, does not effect anything. Sorry yes it does, the engine seems to rev so much easier and more fun to drive.

#16 Beergut

Beergut

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:28 PM

Hi Nigel

Griffo is based near Falmouth, I have been informed that it will pay NO role what so ever in the MOT, which is cool, obviously if you removed the cat itself this would cause a problem(You would just refit b4 the MOT)

The pre cat only comes into effect on cold starts which they do not test, the pre-cat does not become law until 2005, thus vehicles registered AFTER and Inc 2005 must have the pre cat in place

Hope this helps, it also helped me watching Griffo do the job as i now know the car that bit better.

Jez

Thanks Jez, mine is in for a service today but they're hanging on to it cos it need new pads all round. Might have a word and see what the bugger's would charge to whip it out. Probably some extortionate rate :angry:

Nigel

#17 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:31 PM

:D If they would do it!! I doubt wether they will do it as its not an official Vauxhall proceedure :rolleyes:

#18 Beergut

Beergut

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:32 PM

Beergut Sorry you could not make Sunday, I had my pre cat removed in Plymouth, does not effect anything. Sorry yes it does, the engine seems to rev so much easier and more fun to drive.

Hi John

Yep I'm getting a bit annoyed at missing all these meets but what with life and trying to get the new biz up and running I don't seem to have time to even scratch my nuts :o

Might just have to start thinking about some mods when I get some cash together, I asked about a trade in price on mine against a Turbo and the guy just laughed at me :(

Gonna book a Turbo test drive but can't afford to upgrade if I do prefer it for now.

Nigel

#19 Beergut

Beergut

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:35 PM

:D If they would do it!! I doubt wether they will do it as its not an official Vauxhall proceedure

:rolleyes:

Well, apparently Minime was in my neck of the woods on Good Friday and took his VX into the dealership, the guy seemed impressed by his mods so I might be able to pursuade them. There's only 12 months of warranty left anyway and it is my bloody car afterall !

Nigel

#20 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:44 PM

:rolleyes: Cool, give it a go and see what they say matie. Why did he laugh at you? Not a very good salesman then, I had huge problems when I had my R1 and F27 which I wanted to P/E against a Turbo, found loads of the dealers who would not take either, a couple who would take the R1 but not the other BUT Picador would have taken both. Give another dealership a prod and see what they offer. :angry: Bummer, thunder storm outside and my poor lightning is getting wet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users