Front Pads Replacement

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:27 PM

here I will post the piccies for the front pads replacement.
quite easy job.

first, remove the pins and punch out the 2 rods from behind;
careful that the retaining plate will spring out!

In the absence of some of the original pics, here's a video of how it's done.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ant1.jpg   26.66KB   21 downloads

#2 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:28 PM

...then the 2 pads will easily slide out, at the most you can pry'em out gently...

Attached Files

• Attached File  ant2.jpg   24.95KB   22 downloads

#3 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:30 PM

...now its time to pry the calipers as wide as they go....use any tool as long as its not sharp, since you could cut the rubber sleeve. before that, open the cap of brake fluid reservoir, but don't forget to close it afterward!

Attached Files

• Attached File  ant3.jpg   20.39KB   14 downloads

Edited by Ricky2772, 21 May 2003 - 02:40 PM.

#4 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:31 PM

...now you can slide in the new pads!

Attached Files

• Attached File  ant4.jpg   24.78KB   14 downloads

#5 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:34 PM

last thing needed is to reinstall the 2 rods, keeping the retaining plate below, and don't forget to re-apply the 2 clips! note: the retaining plate is not mandatory, its purpose is to limit pads rattling/squealing/clicketing....track boys keep it out, since there is better cooling w/out it....so is a personal choice to re-install it or not. so, track-days addicts might wanna try w/out. job done! :P while there, you can bleed the system too, but you need a partner to depress the brake pedal. It's easy, isn't it? no bolts to undo whatsoever.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ant5.jpg   26.22KB   15 downloads

Edited by Ricky2772, 21 May 2003 - 02:50 PM.

#6 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:38 PM

...now take it easy for the first miles, the pads will have to bed-in.....after a few days, you can prep'em right....do 4-5 medium braking sessions on an empty stretch, so to get the pads to temp. then, w/out cooling time, go for 3-4 emergency stops from 60 to 20mph. beware of temporary fading, since brake resins might evaporate in the process. discs should look purple-ish after that.

#7 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:44 PM

a note about pads wear: wear is higher on the inner pad, and even more on the bottom half. pads can be rotated easily, so you can swap interior/exterior pads for a more even wear; a bit of pads-beading has to be allowed again, when rotating pads.

#8 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Interests:Bikes,TT,Isle Of Man,VX's, investigations to where my money goes each month,

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:48 PM

:rolleyes: Nice one Ricky, one to print out and keep for future reference.

#9 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:53 PM

tonight I will post the steps for the rears, a bit more complex but nothing to worry about..... I might have found a way to make it easier... :P

#10 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:53 PM

Another great post by Ricky with the digi cam Imnotworthy !! Thorney - perhaps there should be a FAQ section where this and other really useful posts can be put(ie not a general post place)?? Saves them getting "lost" too... Now whos gonna do a digicam "pre-cat removal" ?? I dont mind taking the pic's and doing the write-up if someone wants to do my car :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

#11 VEX

VEX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:59 PM

Brill, Thanks Ricky. Can't help thinking that I have worked on this type of caliper before. Must of been on one of my Pugs (309, 106 S1 and S2, 306Gti) I agree with you completely, p*ss easy to do, why on earth a garage wants £400+ notes for all four pairs.

#12 BrianDrought

BrianDrought

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:00 PM

Nice guide ! Like I've posted on here before, if anyone in the Milton Keynes area wants their pads changing etc, I'm more than happy to let them do it in my garage, and I'll give instructions etc etc. Stuff like this can be a bit daunting if you've not touched the dirty bits of a car before. Bri

#13 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:04 PM

Nice guide !

Like I've posted on here before, if anyone in the Milton Keynes area wants their pads changing etc, I'm more than happy to let them do it in my garage, and I'll give instructions etc etc. Stuff like this can be a bit daunting if you've not touched the dirty bits of a car before.

Bri

Just don't let Bri try to get your car back out of his garage ;) :P

#14 Jez

Jez

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Interests:Bikes,TT,Isle Of Man,VX's, investigations to where my money goes each month,

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:09 PM

Thorney - perhaps there should be a FAQ section where this and other really useful posts can be put(ie not a general post place)?? Saves them getting "lost" too...

:rolleyes: Good idea, as this is something that may not be relevant to all of us now but if it saves paying expensive rates later on I will give it a go.
:rolleyes:

#15 BrianDrought

BrianDrought

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:30 PM

Just don't let Bri try to get your car back out of his garage ;) :P

lol Jim ! My own garage is fine... it was my mates place where you need to make a bit of an odd turn on the way out that caused the problem

(for those who dont use the evo forum, I drove my Merc 500E into a wall this morning....)

#16 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 04:05 PM

Ricky, Just to add my own thanks. It's a long time since I got my hands dirty and the prospect of starting again now is a bit daunting. It certainly makes sense to have a go when you can. Thanks too to Bri for the offer of supervision. cheers Guys!

#17 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 06:02 PM

...and this is the look you get once done with the pads.... :lol: :lol:

Attached Files

Edited by Ricky2772, 21 May 2003 - 06:06 PM.

#18 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 21 May 2003 - 06:11 PM

All - please visit and donate generously http://www.ColourBlindnessResearch.com Phew B) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by cheeky_chops, 21 May 2003 - 06:12 PM.

#19 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 01:35 PM

Cheers Ricky! chinky chinky Just sorted out my front pads! Easy peasy chocolate squeezy!!!!! Rob PS - Are those driving gloves the new sparko's???? The absolute height of Italian chic!!!! :lol: edited to say 'God Bless The Search Facility!!!'

Edited by Robski, 27 March 2005 - 01:37 PM.

#20 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 27 March 2005 - 01:42 PM

Ricky nice gloves. poof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users