• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 AmazingMonkey

AmazingMonkey

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:41 PM

Driving home from work tonight and turned of the main road on a B road I usually take home. A Honda CRX VTi had just turned down the same road adhead of me and I soon caught him up. I don't know if he saw me in his rear view mirror but he seemed to speed up for whatever reason. I made sure I kept plenty of distance between myself and the Honda as I didn't want to pressure him in to driving faster. After driving for a couple of minutes doing reasonable speeds (but slower than I usually drive on this road) he seemed to speed up a little more. I kept the same distance (two seconds plus). The road was damp and there may have been some mud on it. He went round a right hander, by the time I had come round the corner his Crx was wiggling all over the place. His car then started to spin and go into the hedge/fencing at the side of the road, it must have hit somthing in the hedge because it spun round back into the road then back into the hedge on it's roof!! :o I in the mean time am tring to avoid the CRX, bits of hedge/fence and bits of CRX, my VX got clobbered with some of the debry. I pulled over at the side of the road and started running back to the CRX on it's roof, it was in a right mess and I was expecting the worse. I ran over to the car shouting "are you alright" got to the car and could see movement in it. The door was complety mangled and I had to prise it open cutting my hand in the process. The guy inside was fine, had a small cut on his hand and was in shock but apart from that not a scratch on him, I was amazed :o Another block who had witnessed the accident from his car travelling in the opposite direction came over and accused us both of racing, we probably wern't even going above 50mph. I told him he was talking bollocks and I didn't even know the bloke who crashed his car, but the witness was adamant we were racing by the "phenominal" speed we had come round the corner :9mm: He then proceeded to phone the police to report us. I of course hung around, swapped details with the driver just in case, and to make sure he going to be OK. When the police got there after taking a few statments they didn't even want my details thumbsup What get's me is if the crash had been more serious and this bloke had been seriously injured or worse I could be in a lot of trouble because somone thought I was going faster then I was. :beat: And to top of the drive from work, I was driving down an alley way to get to my street doing a grand total of 5MPH and a woman shouts at me to slow down !! I wind down the window and say "excuse me?" no answer as shes gone in her house, so agin I shout "EXCUSE ME!!!" the reply was "slow down"...... "I WAS GOING FIVE F**KING MILES AN HOUR" rant Do people think this car is going faster then it is??

#2 PJG

PJG

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:45 PM

"SLOW DOWN" It's what people usually shout or gesture me to do, in a shite attempt to hide the embarrassment of pulling out in front of me because they misjudge my speed!

#3 AmazingMonkey

AmazingMonkey

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:50 PM

I think I'm still in shock, I'm shaking quite a bit!! I feel slightly guilty that maybe this guy felt pressured to go faster even thought I was trying to keep my distance to avoid this happening. I'm so glad he was OK, both for his sake and mine, I don't know if I could live with myself if he had beed seriously hurt. In future if somone looks like there speeding up because they see a VX in the rear view I'll slow right down. The guy who said we were racing must have just seen two sports cars coming round the corner put 2+2 together and got 10. I'm just pissed of that I could have been in a lot of trouble because of that d*@khead witness :9mm:

Edited by AmazingMonkey, 26 November 2004 - 06:50 PM.

#4 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:50 PM

I hope your car is not too badly damaged amazing monkey and yes some people need :9mm: twats :saw:

#5 AmazingMonkey

AmazingMonkey

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:52 PM

I think my cars OK, it was quite dark so couldn't really tell. I'll have to give it a wash in the morning and have a look. If it is damaged it will probably just be scratches to the paint work. Amazingly I'm not that bothered about the car, myself or the other driver could be dead.

#6 WoodenDummy

WoodenDummy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:54 PM

Firstly, chill. The worst DIDN'T happen and you can't worry about "what if it had" you didn't do anything wrong in fact you did everything right. **I won't go into what happened to me tonight picking GF up from work as it's just not in the same league but EVERY night I see another stupid twat driving like a twat doing 25mph in a 50, not looking in mirrors or using their fcuking eyes in the outside lane of the motorway doing 50. It's normally these people that think you're going to fast, they don't even realise THEY are fcuking dangerous and need to re-take a test or two.

Edited by WoodenDummy, 26 November 2004 - 06:57 PM.

#7 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:54 PM

Do people think this car is going faster than it is??

:rolleyes: Yep!!..
..Looks blumin fast parked up :D

Hope you and your 'Baby' are ok :)

#8 AmazingMonkey

AmazingMonkey

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:57 PM

I think a few beers tonoght will calm me down. I feel sorry for the other guy he'd only had his car a couple of months. Oh and his girlfriend happened to be driving along that road just after the accident and saw his car. She seemed to be in tears, hopfully just tears that he was OK ;)

#9 WoodenDummy

WoodenDummy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:57 PM

I won't go into what happened to me tonight picking GF up from work as it's just not in the same league but EVERY night I see another stupid twat driving like a twat doing 25mph in a 50, not looking in mirrors or using their fcuking eyes in the outside lane of the motorway doing 50. It's normally these people that think you're going to fast, they don't even realise THEY are fcuking dangerous and need to re-take a test or two.

#10 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:59 PM

Glad nobody was seriously hurt and hope the VX is ok. You did the decent thing and stopped, there are a lot of people who would not have stopped. thumbsup

#11 AmazingMonkey

AmazingMonkey

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:00 PM

I don't class myself as the best at driving at all, so I think it goes to show just how good a handling car the VX is if I can go round a corner the same speed as someone who's crashing and swerve to avoid their car. Th VX felt like it had plenty of grip left. Imnotworthy However I think I'll be aware of other drivers a bit more.

#12 Whiteboy

Whiteboy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  • Interests:F1, track days, cars ,cars and cars.

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:04 PM

Enjoy your beer, sounds like you deserve it thumbsup

#13 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• 18,159 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:07 PM

I don't class myself as the best at driving at all, so I think it goes to show just how good a handling car the VX is....However I think I'll be aware of other drivers a bit more.

thumbsup Good advice...''As WD said''..there's some dangerous drivers out there..at any speed :rolleyes:

#14 benw

benw

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:06 PM

It's natural to feel guilty but you honestly shouldn't. You really can't be responsible for anothers diving ability even if you were pressurising him (Which I realise you weren't) Good thing you're okay though :)

#15 Huntsman

Huntsman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Cars, Skiing, Squash, Motorbikes, Rabbits - all that kind of stuff.

Posted 26 November 2004 - 08:46 PM

This might sound a bit mercenary, but if your VX HAS been damaged by debris, it is possible to claim from the other driver's insurance. It happened to me at one point when a car on the other carriageway of the M4 went into the central reservation just at the time I was passing - cue bits of gravel, glass, plastic, etc showering the front of my car (a BMW at the time). The other driver had fallen asleep, and I felt sorry for him too, but there was £600 damage to my car (2 broken lenses, a dent to the grille and the front end was scratched to hell).

I guess it depends on the balance of how you feel vs how much you're likely to be out of pocket.

If it's any consolation, it sounds like you did nothing wrong, but the other driver was trying to :poke: you into reacting...

#16 NOEXCESSBAGGAGE

NOEXCESSBAGGAGE

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 09:16 PM

As WD says - chill out tonight. Waitrose do a very very nice bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau, special offer deal at the mo. Chuck your car keys away, and open the bottle. Forget about the car, the kid in front, his car, his GF, and thank yourself everything is still in one piece, as far as you're concerned. Let it be one of life's abject lessons, that a car's only points of contact with the road are the four pissy patches of rubber at each corner and the hedges are awfully fcukin close if you overcook it.

Edited by NOEXCESSBAGGAGE, 26 November 2004 - 09:19 PM.

#17 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 26 November 2004 - 09:47 PM

Chuck your car keys away, and open the bottle.
Forget about the car

Have done this....intend to continue until the pain recedes thumbsup

#18 ciderbooze

ciderbooze

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Interests:cars, fishing, beer, football.

Posted 26 November 2004 - 09:54 PM

thumbsup glad your both ok m8 think of it this way , you didnt make him press the pedal it was his choice. know your car know its limits.

#19 Huntsman

Huntsman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Cars, Skiing, Squash, Motorbikes, Rabbits - all that kind of stuff.

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:14 PM

thumbsup glad your both ok m8 think of it this way , you didnt make him press the pedal it was his choice. know your car know its limits.

I'd add to this:

Know your car,
Know YOUR limits...

#20 Mutt & Jeff

Mutt & Jeff

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:Music, F1, Cars, Keeping Fit, Skateboarding with my boys & Red Wine

Posted 27 November 2004 - 12:18 AM

Glad you're both OK thumbsup Sadly the VX does look like it's doing 90 at 20mph, my favourite are the people who wave there arms at you....I just give them the thumbs up and wave back :P :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users