Yes Or Not

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lo VXT

Lo VXT

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:18 AM

What's your oppinion about this stuff ( on Turbo ) : 1. Dump Valve 2. K&N Induction kit 3. Regal VX220 Z20LET Phase I Software Kit 4. Delta Motors Optima 220 ( 234ch ) 5. Steinmetz performance kit ( 235ch and 360nm ) 6. Regal VX220 Turbo C.A.T and Downpipe 7. SPAX or Oehlins SUSPENSION 8. Racelogic Traction Control and Launch System 9. Quaife ATB Differential Thank's :unsure:

#2 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:40 AM

Hi Lo :blink: and welcome on board. There's been quite a bit of chat about dump valves, etc in recent weeks. Try using the search facility if you've not done so already. There are certainly plenty of options for tuning the VXT. If you can wait a while, hang on to see what Vauxhall do for the Sprint version. Apparently, the kit will be available for existing owners. Tuned turbo engines get pretty hot, especially if you are running high boost. There is no room for a decent sized intercooler in the VX, so reliability will be a major issue. My personal opinion, is you could do a lot worse than speak to Courtenay Sport. They know the Z20LET engine intimately, and tend to more conservative with their horsepower claims than most other tuners. They are also just up the road from the Lotus factory, and are rumoured to be working on tuning the Z20LET engine for an S2 Exige. 1. Dump valve - I believe the engine already has a recirculating dump valve. Fitting an atmospheric dump valve may confuse the ECU? 2. Induction kits are great for noise on NA engines, but on a turbo engine, you'll get a similar performance effect by modifying the airbox and fitting a higher flow filter panel. 3/4/5. Don't know. But don't choose a tuner with the highest BHP figures without checking the effect on the torque curve and asking about reliability.6. Regal, Courtneay and Milltek are developing systems. A bit of competition in the market place has to be good for us. 7. Nitrons have developed a kit for the VXT Sprint. Nitrons/Oehlins are expensive, but the quality is good. Spax are a good budget kit, but failure rates can be higher than the more expensive kit. Personally, I would not buy Spax. 8. Great in the wet, and would ensure consistent standing starts. But the VX has fantastic traction already, and just like F1, there's no substitute for driver skill IMO. 9. Limited slip diffs are great in FWD cars. Fantastic traction and they pull the nose into the bend under acceleration, rather than wash out wide with a standard diff. I've never tried a RWD with a LSD, but I'd imagine the benefits are much smaller. A well set-up and driven VX, should not be spinning the inside wheel under acceleration. There will be a marginal benefit for a highly tuned car on damp roads, but this mod would be much lower down my list for me. I'm sure others will be along to disagree with the above in a moment :)

#3 Lo VXT

Lo VXT

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:16 AM

Hi gary, Thak's for all these informations :D A Sprint version ? It's the first time I heard that ( I leave in Belgium ). Could you tell me more ? Lo

#4 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:06 PM

hi there... my suggestion (and any experienced tuner will vouch it...) is: before you even open the engine bay, work on suspension, wheels and camber. adding more power on a overpowered car like the vxt is plain insane, w/out addressing the above-mentioned first. if all you care is dragstrip a-la fast and furious, the same applies, since it will transfer the power in a much more effective way. never forget that the cars come out of the factory with a set-up that is aimed for unexperienced road drivers. so first stage is: improve your skills with proper training courses, then work on the set-up, and only after you can play with the engine...... working the other way around is usually the express-lane to a disaster .

#5 Lo VXT

Lo VXT

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:36 PM

I'm not focus on dragstrip but I'm trying to have more fun. I'm 26 and it's my first car where you can change suspension, ..... Here I think ( maybe I'm wrong ) there is no "school" to learn to set-up a supspension or camber. :( Where can I find these kind of informations ? Lo

#6 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Cars, Bikes, Birds, having fun.

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:53 PM

Sorry but I have to agree with Ricky AGAIN! Driver Training=1 Suspension=2 OHLINS (no E) ( but who am I to talk what wiv mi speling!(! Driver Training=3 a bit more driver training and bob's your uncle. Now go and add more power ........ RICKY, I am going to the ring 18/19th in the VX. Any top tips for the video camera. I have a yearning to organise a VX trip to the ring next year and want to post something here to drum up some enthusiasm. BTW (by the way) (for our Flemish friend) nothing beats turning up on a track day (having driven there Ricky!) on a standard looking bike or car and blitzing everyone!

Attached Files

#7 Lo VXT

Lo VXT

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:58 PM

Driver training but where ?? :( :(

#8 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:53 PM

1) DV's - atmo are a waste of time. 2) Induction kit - be VERY careful - the VXT has a real problem with inlet charge temps when you start playing around with the intake. You must have a cold air pickup. 3) Revised software - see above. Small intercooler with no effective air throughflow and enclosed engine bay with no air throughflow either, plus upping the boost will probably result in the ECU seriously cutting back boost/ignition due to high inlet temps. There is rumour of a modded VXT engine having gone pop but I don't know if it is fact or rumour........ 4) Quaife ATB? Probably waste of money on this car, and ditto traction/launch control.

#9 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:33 PM

RICKY,
I am going to the ring 18/19th in the VX. Any top tips for the video camera. I

video equipment is now FORBIDDEN. (they say videos on the net instigate racing and lap-timing...what a bunch of crocks....and then they sell a gazillions of videotapes with fast laps sideways....)
so you have to install it after you pass the gate .... :rolleyes:

best bet is a good suction mount, either betw the seats or by the windshield (top choice)

#10 amrit

amrit

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:38 PM

A mate is looking at this little camera to capture his exploits on the track.

Conecam

#11 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:53 AM

Driver training but where ?? 

You should try 1st Lotus. The guy who runs the training school is brilliant. His name is Andrew Walsh.
He used to be a F1 test driver for beneton so he knows his stuff.

Click on the link below for more detail...

http://www.1stLotus.com

#12 kirkvx220se

kirkvx220se

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:57 AM

Yes totaly agree try, 1st lotus ;) I have done some driver training with Andrew Walsh he is first class and easy guy to get on with too, He is also helping develop the Nitron suspention for the VX. ;) So knows a thing or two about the VX.

#13 Lo VXT

Lo VXT

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:36 PM

Ok , so the first thing to do : improve de driver :P I don't want to put money on the car if a "Spirt kit" will be aviable soon :( No informations about it ?

#14 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:55 PM

thanks for that Amrit but it must be digital for me.

#15 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:56 PM

I don't want to put money on the car if a "Spirt kit" will be aviable soon  :(

No informations about it ?

BTW, the Sprint kit will, apparently, be available for existing VXT owners. Also, if you search the archives there's some discussion about a supercharger mod for the n/a in preference to the turbo anyway.

James

PS. I'm plenty happy with my vanilla n/a...

#16 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:23 PM

Suspension=2      OHLINS (no E)

Just a detail...

In your photo, the two dots over the "O" signify "Umlaut" meaning the "O" is not pronounced as "oh" but more as in the "ur" part of "urn". By convention this is written for lower case letters as "ö". If the "O" is at the beginning of a word which demands a capital lettern an "Umlaut" on top of a capital does not fit in the available space. Your photo showing the two dots above everything else illustrates this. To keep within the height limit and still convey the altered sound, the "O" is followed by an "e". For example, in German, "God" and "Gods" are "Gott" and "Götter" but if you want to write in capitals, it becomes "GOTT" and "GOETTER".

So, to be correct, you can write: Oehlins or OEHLINS, but not OHLINS or Ohlins. :)

#17 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:50 PM

Any top tips for the video camera.

I'm really happy with the Sony DCR-PC101. It's got Megapixel and has Firewire, DV in/out, so you can edit in iMovie and burn to DVD with iDVD and/or you can send the completed film back to tape if you wish. From there, as it has analogue out too, you can even do a VHS copy. It has Memory Stick for still shots and USB, so the Memory Stick also mounts as a drive on your Mac desktop to access photos. Compact, easy-to-use, good design and build-quality. Magic!

When mounting in the car, make sure the head you're mounting to stays tight and nothing can move or work loose. Worth doing a few vigorous test drives. The first (old) one I had loosened after I took liberties over the kerbs at Hockenheim. Got a good little one last year and never had problems since: Manfrotto Mini Ball Head. :)

#18 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:59 PM

Just a detail...

In your photo, the two dots over the "O" signify "Umlaut" meaning the "O" is not pronounced as "oh" but more as in the "ur" part of "urn". By convention this is written for lower case letters as "ö". If the "O" is at the beginning of a word which demands a capital lettern an "Umlaut" on top of a capital does not fit in the available space. Your photo showing the two dots above everything else illustrates this. To keep within the height limit and still convey the altered sound, the "O" is followed by an "e". For example, in German, "God" and "Gods" are "Gott" and "Götter" but if you want to write in capitals, it becomes "GOTT" and "GOETTER".

So, to be correct, you can write: Oehlins or OEHLINS, but not OHLINS or Ohlins. :)

Ok. Humble pie and all that!

:unsure:

:blink:

#19 R1 nur

R1 nur

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:03 AM

Just a detail...

Ok. Humble pie and all that!

:unsure:

:blink:

#20 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:02 AM

Don't hold your breath over the VXT Sprint kit. It has to be evaluated by the bean counters at Vauxhall - remember the Sprint kit for the NA car didn't happen, and that has sold in greater numbers. There MAY be limited run of 25 or so VXT Sprint cars, but again nothing is decided. I got this from the horses mouth - the VX Brand Manager at Vauxhall. I've held off getting the Regal exhaust as I want to see what Milltek/PVD/Courtenay come up with first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users