Milltek Fitted

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 stevevx220

stevevx220

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Photography, Computers. cars :)

Posted 12 June 2003 - 03:40 PM

Is it lighter than standard exhaust? SteveV

#22 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:03 PM

Steve, we'll check, but compared to standard Audi exhaust Milteks is way lighter.

#23 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Driving, wildlife photography, travel

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:08 PM

Just got the info back from Phil at Milltek... Catalyst and front pipe – Original – 7.35kg Milltek – 6.05kg Main Silencer – Original – 13.90 kg Milltek – 12.30 kg Paul

#24 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:22 PM

Main Silencer – Original – 13.90 kg

Milltek – 12.30 kg

Paul

quite heavy...couldn't be otherwise, since it's about as big as the stock one.
sure not an issue for those not into the tracking hence interested in saving weight.

as a reference, the komo-tec I employ is only 6 kg and is the lightest so far on the market.

#25 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:28 PM

Yeah, but how noisy is the Komotec? It can't be much lighter without being noisier. I guess we all have to compromise

#26 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 12 June 2003 - 04:36 PM

sure not an issue for those not into the tracking hence interested in saving weight.

ROFLMAO....you have to love Ricky's single mindedness, there's more to preparing a car for track than weight matey ;)

#27 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 12 June 2003 - 05:04 PM

well, removing 6 KG for the very end of the car was for me a dramatic difference in how the car handled in the turns. don't you worry thorney, :P won't say anything bad about the Milltek job, looks great indeed... point is, for amateur trackers w/out vast expense of money to spend into tuning, shedding weight is the most effective step, along with susp. work. making a car super-fast is no mistery, making it FUN as well might prove a bit more challenging.... and that's what's in my workbook. :D

#28 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 12 June 2003 - 05:10 PM

Hehe, working on the suspension right now ;) and the Komotec price scared me toward Miltek :blink: Still think you'd be better off with a Caterham ;)

#29 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 05:55 PM

Still think you'd be better off with a Caterham ;)

...as hard as I try, cannot get over its looks... :rolleyes: :lol:
I also like that extra bit of practicality that the VX offers for the weekend runs.... :o
....and I like the bigger challenge of a central-engine sportscar.... :)
when I tried a catheram 120hp, it felt almost too easy to make it go fast...it was weird. nice drive, super-direct, but a bit ...unrefined?... :unsure: hard to explain!
looking forward to try a megabusa soon , that might prove something different! :blink:

#30 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:01 PM

He moans about a Caterham being unrefined. Get yourself the touring pack in your VX Ricky. Make it much nicer!

#31 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:37 PM

Dave - where are you. I work near Saffron Walden

Paul
Live in Steeple Bumpstead (but work in the City) - so just up the road :D

#32 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:40 PM

Ricky mate, sorry but I make your weight saving attempts look like a fumbling amateur ;) - I wanted to save weight, so I swopped the Impreza STi Type UK for the VXT, and saved 540kg :D :lol: :P

#33 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:40 PM

He moans about a Caterham being unrefined. Get yourself the touring pack in your VX Ricky. Make it much nicer!

:huh:
I was talking about the actual driving experience, closer to a go-kart feel in that cathie....not the "interior comfort" :rolleyes:

#34 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 07:45 AM

I looked into existing exhausts available for the 220 and concluded that they were either too noisy

Thorney

I don't do track days (in my own car), but like a noisy exhaust, is there any chance Milltek can make up some VXT back boxes with a bit less packing in?

Ta

DTS :)

#35 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 13 June 2003 - 08:08 AM

I looked into existing exhausts available for the 220 and concluded that they were either too noisy

Thorney

I don't do track days (in my own car), but like a noisy exhaust, is there any chance Milltek can make up some VXT back boxes with a bit less packing in?

Ta

DTS :)

I'll ask. B)

#36 Dave T-S

Dave T-S

• PipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 08:24 AM

Thank you my man :D If they can, they'll get my business........ :)

#37 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 13 June 2003 - 10:08 AM

I've mentioned elsewhere on here that I want to mod my NA. It was to go to Regal this month for the stage 3 and inlet manifold but as our oven, hob and video have all packed up in the last 3 weeks (and I still want to at least eat!) I had to put the mods on hold. I was also a bit concerned about the noise levels from the Regal exhaust as Minime's rating at 97.5Db was a bit close to the mark for track days. So, at 91Db the Milltek system seems a great solution if the price can be competitive. Now the dumb questions: I presume the Milltek unit bolts straight on to the exhaust manifold. So, does their unit do away with the pre-cat and the standard cat and replace it with a single sports cat? After fitting the Milltek I presume you should really have a re-map to take best advantage of the revised set-up. Are Regal the only company offering re-maps? Do I get the right idea that there's not a lot to be gained from replacing the standard exhaust manifold, or are Milltek looking at this? Are Milltek planning to offer any further mods? Thanks Jim

#38 paulb

paulb

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:50 AM

Now the dumb questions:

I presume the Milltek unit bolts straight on to the exhaust manifold. So, does their unit do away with the pre-cat and the standard cat and replace it with a single sports cat?

After fitting the Milltek I presume you should really have a re-map to take best advantage of the revised set-up. Are Regal the only company offering re-maps?

Do I get the right idea that there's not a lot to be gained from replacing the standard exhaust manifold, or are Milltek looking at this?

Are Milltek planning to offer any further mods?

Not dumb...

Milltek bolts directly onto standard manifold

It does replace cat and precat with a single sports cat

A remap will certainly help as it can increase the fuelling to cope with the better airflow. Courtenay also offer remaps for the VX and I know of at least one other tuner who is looking at options.

Milltek may look at the manifold as well but think the biggest gains will come by matching the manifold to the final state of tune of the engine.

Dunno if they are planning anything else. Perhaps Thorney does.

#39 waverunner

waverunner

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • Interests:Staying afloat!

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:18 PM

Thanks Paulb cheers In due course just need to know how much and when available:D

#40 VX FLY

VX FLY

• 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 03:40 PM

Have we got a price yet ??. If they are good value I will have 2 (one for me and one for my mate) Will they sell without fitting ??. Let me know Ian :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users