Ecotec 2.2 Rev Limit

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oldmagroin

oldmagroin

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 01:46 PM

anyone know how high you can rev the 2.2 without changing internals. the sprint was supposedly set to 8500(according to ccc mag) but had different cams. anyone care to comment omg

#2 ddpunter

ddpunter

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 02:42 PM

the autocar test was 1st 6500 30 2nd 6500 60 3rd 6500 90 4th 6500 126 5th 5700 134 this was on a yank site 6500 is where the factory set rev limiter is. You can not rev beyond that without sending the ECU out to be reprogramed. You would not want to rev past there anyway since you are loosing a lot of power past 6000 rpm. Unless you are FI (Boosted) then I see no need. The stock Ecotec can rev to about 7200 rpm safely. With a little valvetrain work, Heavy Duty Springs, Stainless Steel Valves, Better Rocker Rollers, you should be able to hit near 8500 rpm, past that I would destroke it to a 2.0L and then you should be safe to about 9500 rpm. and.... There's alot more to it than the valve train. if you go above 6,700 rpms on an ecotec, the linear velocity of the pistons will be well above spec. It wouldn't last long, and then your rods would snap in half and your piston rings would fry themselves alive, in the mean time your wrist pin would be warped and your oil pump would be strugling to get enough oil up there. yes, the GM race engine could do it on stock rods and pistons. It also ran about 25 runs (6.25) miles between complete rebuilds. If you want something reliable, get a better oil pump, replace the rods and pistons, upgrade the valve train as EcoCav said, and you SHOULD be able to safely put the rpm limit at 7,800 or 8,000. 9,500 is right the f__k out. cheers d

#3 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 01:03 PM

hi ddpunter- whats your view on the ecu remap by regal- which increases the rev limiter to 6800 in 1st and 2nd? Mani

#4 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 14 June 2003 - 02:44 PM

I was initially frustrated by the limiter seeming to come in too soon on track. I put this down to having practiced with the PS2 GT3-A Spec Speedster which, for some reason goes up to around 7,00rpm. ;)

Have now actually found that fastest progrees is made by changing up at about 5,800, as beyond this the power on a standard car is dropping away, so am not too concerned anymore about 6,500 limit.[I]

Might be different if I get the Delta-Motor supercharger though :D

#5 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 14 June 2003 - 03:03 PM

Might be different if I get the Delta-Motor supercharger though :D

would you please get it installed.... :poke: ?!?

the plan goes like this.... ;)
you install it, then thoroughly report on it, if positive I'll come meet you, you'll honour me with a test-drive, and if OK, I might get it as well !! ! :lol: :lol: :jump:

Edited by Ricky2772, 14 June 2003 - 03:05 PM.

#6 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 03:19 PM

Have now actually found that fastest progrees is made by changing up at about 5,800, as beyond this the power on a standard car is dropping away, so am not too concerned anymore about 6,500 limit.[I]

SpeedyK - Valid point. I usually find that I change up naturally around the same if I rely on the the power aspect rather than looking down at my rev counter.

Put me down as second after Ricky for a test drive once you get the delta super charger!! :D

#7 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 14 June 2003 - 03:47 PM

Put me down as second after Ricky for a test drive once you get the delta super charger!! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey! I've not test-driven it yet! What if I find I don't like it? :o :o :o

I just know I like the responsiveness of the NA and don't like the turbo. The supercharger should feel like a meatier NA... I hope. B) And Delta-Motor seem a really straight, no bullshit operation... so far, so good. If I get it, I'm happy to do a swap with anyone halfway sane like me ;) for back-to-back tests for a few miles.

Will keep everyone informed on the supercharger thread. :)

#8 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:27 AM

Its hard to adjust to such a diesel-like rev ceiling though after my Integra type R which was limited at 8900 rpm. I don't just want another 800 revs I want 800 revs worth of extended powerband, which isn't going to happen without some serious cash I guess. :(

#9 TurboTomato

TurboTomato

K-Series Detonator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:41 PM

Its hard to adjust to such a diesel-like rev ceiling though after my Integra type R which was limited at 8900 rpm.

I don't just want another 800 revs I want 800 revs worth of extended powerband, which isn't going to happen without some serious cash I guess. :(

Tell me about it Bob!!! :o :o

I really do miss my CTRs manic 8400rpm rev limit... :(

TT

#10 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 03 July 2003 - 03:07 PM

Ahh but TT I don't miss the 'change down three gears to overtake ANYTHING' approach to driving either. Trouble is I want a huge rev range which is also very torquey. Which means teh M3 engine I reckon, and thats almost half the weight of the whole VX !! :drink:

#11 Mutt & Jeff

Mutt & Jeff

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:Music, F1, Cars, Keeping Fit, Skateboarding with my boys & Red Wine

Posted 04 July 2003 - 12:27 PM

I've just read in EVO about a mk1 Elise with the CTR engine & they mention that it could probably be fitted to Mk2 Elise or VX. £9995 Blink Motorsport if you fancy :blink: Can I have a go please Imnotworthy cheers

#12 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 03:23 PM

M&J, I wouldn't want it. i LOVE the lo wdown responsiveness of the L850 in the naVX but I'd like the impossibility of even more grunt after 6000 revs ! I got tired of caning the nads of my teg to make it go, all Imiss is a bit of the drama at the top end.

#13 ddpunter

ddpunter

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 06:25 PM

back to the initial post, does anyone out there know how they got the engine working with an 8k limiter? thorney-you have driven it, was it worth getting the revs up that high, 'cos i saw you and minime having a bit of a tearup after that dorset meet? cheers d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users