50 replies to this topic

#1 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  • Interests:my car, snowboarding and drinking

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:27 AM

After being so good as to take the car in, the missus finally rolled home about 8pm :( She teased me about 6pm with a text saying "Love is.... a VX with the precat removed!!!" Hehe :groupjump: When she drove up, i was chatting to the neighbour and i could hear the run on before i saw it - she stopped and gave it a rev - WOW! Deeper, but also a small amount of burble and pop :) :) Things were looking gooood! Went out last night and to work this morning - Its noticeably smoother on acceleration and run on, it revs easier and its definately got more gogo especially over 3500rpm!! YEHAA! £160 well spent! Just need to get over 40 mpg to make me really happy :lol: :lol: GET IT DONE! ps going to take the air horn out this/next weekend pps Special thanks to the missus, HiQ, turboman and Vex Imnotworthy

Edited by cheeky_chops, 08 July 2003 - 08:30 AM.

#2 VEX

VEX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:52 AM

It was Mike (R3D VX) who started it all off.

But I am glad we could all be of service.

Its good isn't it. :D

Take pics of each stage of the air box removal for the rest of us please.

Enjoy M8

#3 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Mountaineering, Golf and of course cars

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:16 AM

OK, I've seen a lot of chat about pre-cat removal and did one this last weekend but whats the air box/horn removal all about. Done a search but cant find any results. :( Help me please Imnotworthy

#4 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:33 AM

Ah, Big up the R3D_VX too! Will take pics of the airhorn removal if i manage it.... N111 - the airhorn is apparently a trumpet shaped object in the airbox. It is there to lower the exhaust noise but as a side effect also makes it more difficult for the engine to breath... :( To get to it you remove the rear left wheel, 6 or so trim screws, the arch and then open the air box and pull it out... Jase_MK did it last weekend - said its easy and i dint think he's a greasy monkey "par excellence" :D :D :P I might drop a 25 quid Viper air panel in at the same time... :)

Edited by cheeky_chops, 08 July 2003 - 09:34 AM.

#5 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:40 AM

My old air box is sat in my garage so I could get some pics up tonight if you like. ;)

#6 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Mountaineering, Golf and of course cars

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:43 AM

cheers CC

I was following that fine until

I might drop a 25 quid Viper air panel in at the same time...

. Come on whats that all about :) Never fiddled with a car in my life until I buy my most expensive one and fastest one, and now I feel inclined to take it to bits and make it go faster. :rolleyes: :lol: ;)

I take it its all about breathing again!!!!!!

#7 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:51 AM

Never fiddled with a car in my life until I buy my most expensive one and fastest one, and now I feel inclined to take it to bits and make it go faster.

And me :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm pretty bad at motor mechanics - took me a day to change discs and pads on a MkII Golf once :P

Re the air filter - the standard ones again slows the air flow and get blocked up. I want a induction kit but its more difficult to fit and alot more expensive (the viper induction is £250rrp - B4D_VX will do you a special price though ;) ) Check out http://www.vx220tuni...performance.asp Mmmm, maybe for Chrismas if im a lucky boy!!

Anyway for £/BHP i think the precat is definately 1st on the list :)

Edited by cheeky_chops, 08 July 2003 - 09:53 AM.

#8 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:41 AM

N111RAW, cool sig, can I nick it?

#9 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:14 AM

CC - Thanks again cheers Might just have to get the tool box out again. It wont know whats hit it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Do you need to replace the air box/horn with anything?

'er in doors is also saying that if I want to spend money on the car then I have to put it on my Christmas list. It's such a long way off :(

iandhd - Pics could/would be handy cheers

N111RAW, cool sig, can I nick it?

Help yourself Thorney. I nicked several frames from your sig as it was! :blink: :rolleyes: Sos :beat:

#10 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:19 AM

Help yourself Thorney. I nicked several frames from your sig as it was!

Which in turn I originally nicked from SPeedy :blink:

#11 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:25 AM

Ian - that would be handy B)

#12 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:56 AM

Do you need to replace the air box/horn with anything?

No need to replace with anything. Ok, I don't have a digicam but lets see what I can do on my computer. This is a very poor drawing of the top half of the air box:

Posted Image

oh my god that's bad :o - but gets the idea accross I think.

#13 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:10 PM

cheers cheers cheers Thats a big help. I take it your not a graphic designer though :lol: :lol: :lol: How long did it take?

#14 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:12 PM

How long did it take?

The air horn/box removal not the picture :D

#15 cheeky_chops

cheeky_chops

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:16 PM

This is a very poor drawing of the top half of the air box:

yep - but will assist thanks!! :groupjump:

#16 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 08 July 2003 - 12:44 PM

.................but lets see what I can do on my computer. This is a very poor drawing of the top half of the air box:

What sort of hole is left when you remove the horn? My very basic fluid dynamics learnin' says that there should be a nice round bell mouth on the the orifice. If it leaves a sharp edged then it can end up more restricted than if the horn were in place. I suppose a bellmouth could be machined out of aluminium and glued in place.

A job for this weekend methinks.

Edited by JimH, 08 July 2003 - 12:45 PM.

#17 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:21 PM

How long did it take?

Difficult to say as I spent ages looking for a screwdriver etc... I guess probably about half an hour including getting the wheel off and wheel arch liner. Ideally you should be able to remove the spring clips, remove the pipe that goes to the engine (jubilee clip), take the top half of the box out, remove the horn, then reassemble. However, I also removed both mounting screws that hold the bottom half of the box the the frame of the car which droppped the whole assembly down a couple of inches, making it easier to remove the top half of the box through the wheel arch.

The picture took me about 3 minutes. And yes, I am a designer (well, web designer).

JimH - yes the horn has a rounded bell mouth (oo-er). The hole you're left with is sharper - you may be able to do something with it to improve airflow, not sure. Perhaps make a new shorter horn out of the old one...

And while you're there - make sure the inlet pipe is pointed towards the side vent of the car. Mine was twisted backwards towards the wheel.

Edited by Jase_MK, 08 July 2003 - 01:22 PM.

#18 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 02:01 PM

cheers Thanks Jase. Might try it tonight then. Just need to find something to lift the car up. Wonder what time the missus is home :lol:

The picture took me about 3 minutes. And yes, I am a designer (well, web designer).

Oops. No offence. Very clear diagram, thank you :( :)

#19 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 02:10 PM

cheers Thanks Jase. Might try it tonight then. Just need to find something to lift the car up.

make sure you jack the car up in the right spot - check for the stickers.

#20 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 03:05 PM

While we're talking precats since removing mine, i'm definitely getting better mpg :) With medium to hard driving i'm getting around 200 miles on 30 litres of fuel. Before it would be around 170 max :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users