Are They Mismatched?!?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 24 July 2003 - 08:35 PM

check this pic: I installed the front right disc, than it dawned on me that the two discs are exactly the same..... :huh: hence..... ....once installed, the direction of the drilled "swirls" will be different from left to right..... I remember reading that the orientation of the swirls must follow the rotation of the tyre, and not the opposite like the one installed in the pic.... quite confused..... coments?

Attached Files

#2 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:05 PM

this is a schematic found on the tarox website.... how the holes should radiate, that is, from the hub backwards! :huh: :unsure:

Attached Files

#3 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:33 PM

mmh... I think your concern is reasonable. I would definitely ask them for clarification. Probably doesn't make any difference, but on such a light car (especially yours! :D ) any variation between the respones left and right could/would be more pronounced - not too good. :unsure: :(

#4 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 24 July 2003 - 10:16 PM

this is a schematic found on the tarox website.... how the holes should radiate, that is, from the hub backwards! :huh: :unsure:

Ricky, there's a thought - the kerbweight of an original MINI Cooper S is less than 700Kg - including all the passenger seats :o ;)

You'll have to trade-in the Speedy by the looks of things!

James

#5 JimH

JimH

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts
  • Interests:yachting, diving, steam waggons, cars that don't break down, giving up on the output of any car builder from Norfolk.

Posted 25 July 2003 - 07:56 AM

- the kerbweight of an original MINI Cooper S is less than 700Kg - including all the passenger seats

Let's just think about that figure for a minute. 4 seats, Storage space everywhere, cast iron engine block and head, lots of carpet, a boot, TWO fuel tanks and no fancy space age aluminium chassis with all sorts of bonded, extruded fuckery foo. And it is STILLL LIGHTER THAN THE VX.

This, apparently, is progress.

#6 streetboy

streetboy

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:47 AM

I think you've got a point there Ricky. I wouldn't risk it. You could find that the pads bite harder on one side, shifting the weight on the approach to a corner. If you use trail braking it's going to cause you even more problems. :( Add to that uneven pad wear and the whole thing stops being a worthwhile mod. Let us know what the supplier says.

#7 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 08:52 AM

I think it's only really a problem with Grooved discs. Even then it's not a balance issue, it's just that if you get the groves pointing the wrong way, it's noiser, and can wear the pads more quickly. I'd guess that if there are the same number of holes in the pad area, then it won't make any difference. Then, of course, what do I know ;)

#8 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 25 July 2003 - 12:28 PM

Hi Ricky, I'd say that it wasn't a problem. Grooves is one thing, but with holes I can't see that there is any mechanical difference. As the disk is rotating, then the only thing to matter would be the number of holes at each radius about the centre. Their positioning would be immaterial? Best to ask though if you can! Steve

#9 SSH1

SSH1

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 12:47 PM

Talking of grooved disks, which way should they go? I have just ordered some for my other car. Regards Chris

#10 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 01:29 PM

The grooves should be as per Ricky2772's picture... eg: If a groove starts in the middle at top centre, it should point towards the back of the car.

#11 SSH1

SSH1

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 05:01 PM

Thanks Bengie Chris

#12 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Cars and tracks :-)
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:30 PM

A while ago, I bougth Drilled Discs (Zimmerman) for my MX-5, they were identical (i.e. like Ricky ones at the moment, one side with holes going "backward" and one side with holes going "forward")

Later I bought Grooved/Drilled Discs, they were symetrical (gooves and holes having a patern going "backward" on both side)...

Here is a High Tech Lotus Elise Disc :

Posted Image

Hera are the first discs I put : Braking Disc

Posted Image

And here a full set of different discs for a MX-5 (NA 1.8L Std / NA 1.6L Std / NA 1.6L Zimmerman / NA 1.6L MPCA High Perf) :

Posted Image

B)

Edited by Marco Polo, 25 July 2003 - 06:38 PM.

#13 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Cars and tracks :-)
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 25 July 2003 - 06:42 PM

BUT...

As for the Zimmerman, after 4 track days (on a 8 month period) :

Posted Image

:blink:

#14 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 09:08 PM

interesting! do you know if zimmerman apply the heat-treatment to its discs? I only bought a couple for such reason....if they crack, it will be only 130€.....

#15 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 10:34 AM

installed discs and lines....(with old pads, still adapting a bit...)

Attached Files

#16 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 10:39 AM

once the lines were installed, a lot of bleeding was needed...probably more in the next day or so.... will wait to judge the diff. once the pads are beaded in.... installing the brake lines is pretty straightforward, but require some thinking on what to do and in which order... like what line-end disconnect first..... front lines anre more of a bitch, rx front requires the wheelarch removal, while left front is a pain due to the tight quarters at the abs attachment.... use gloves!!

Attached Files

#17 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 10:42 AM

while installing the front lines and discs, I also removed the last out of 4 camber shims (being held in my fingers), that was holding the abs sensor....I then secured it with a fastener . now the camber is at a maximum, providing a better tyre contact when cornering hard (less shoulder wear). will wear more inner shoulder if the car is driven on a straight line .

Attached Files

Edited by Ricky2772, 28 July 2003 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users