Photo

Induction Kit

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Mountaineering, Golf and of course cars

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:43 PM

I cant lay my hands on any thread that covers this properly (and I've looked - but its now time I did some work :( ) so here goes a new one. I'm interested in getting an induction kit for my N/A. Whats available and what are the benefits from each. Those I know off are: K&N, ITG and PiperX So what I want to know is power gains (BHP and torque), noise and prices Any help appreciated cheers

Edited by N111RAW, 04 August 2003 - 01:44 PM.

#2 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 02:57 PM

I have a K&N induction kit and don't believe that it offers any increase in performance. If I had my time over again I would start by modifying the standard air box. Also interesting to note that Courteney offer to modify the airbox as part of their tuning process. Paul

#3 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 02:59 PM

I've got the K&N induction kit. From the rolling road results on sat, I don't think it makes much of a difference to standard. I think it just makes more of a growl at higher revs.

#4 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:12 PM

Likewise K&N, but I'd go along with the claimed 4bhp increase. (Yes it's there but not so that you would notice) The sound is quite pleasing but I can't really hear it much over the exhaust. :ph34r: The PiperX looks appealing but after seeing Mani's RR results I'm not so sure I'd bother.

Edited by iandhd, 04 August 2003 - 03:12 PM.

#5 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Mountaineering, Golf and of course cars

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:15 PM

cheers guys. Did you get you zorsts at the same time as the K&N. Regal quote 4bhp but I dont suppose that is so noticable in isolation. Sounds better though?

If I had my time over again I would start by modifying the standard air box

Remove plastic cone and upgrade panel filter?

Anyone else got experience of the other kits available?

#6 B4D_VX

B4D_VX

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:27 PM

I've got the Viper on mine. It's made a noticable difference to throttle response and performance. It also gives a great induction note. Due to the temperature the engine bay gets up to, it certainly makes a lot more sense than an open cone such as the K&N.

#7 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:28 PM

I'm also wondering with the car being stationary, would it be down on power? The last rolling road I went to had a huge fan blowing at the front of my car. I don't remember there being one at the AMD rolling road? When I had it tested late last year it produced 155bhp and 155 lb/ft iirc. That was with just a sports exhaust. Now i've got the pre cat and k&n filter mods done, it showed 155bhp and 161 lb/ft.

#8 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:36 PM

It's made a noticable difference to throttle response and performance.

B4D - Have you a sports zorst? Any figures? cheers

Edited by N111RAW, 04 August 2003 - 03:37 PM.

#9 B4D_VX

B4D_VX

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:52 PM

I've not rolling roaded it, but would have been interested to do so. There's no exhaust on it yet, but there's a Milltek system going on her in a couple of weeks.

#10 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 03:58 PM

Due to the temperature the engine bay gets up to, it certainly makes a lot more sense than an open cone such as the K&N.

That's why I don't think that the K&N works well in the VX environment. Mine is a bit better since putting extra cold feed pipe in place.

I considered the Viper but considered £250 a lot of dosh to pay out if it didn't work. Also had concerns about water entering the air feed pipe from road spray. Where does it go if this happens?

For the small outlay i would definately mod the current air box first - ie remove plastic cone & put in high flow panel filter

Just my opinions of course

Paul

#11 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:02 PM

I've not rolling roaded it, but would have been interested to do so. There's no exhaust on it yet, but there's a Milltek system going on her in a couple of weeks.

That'll be interesting as thats the combination that I had in the back of my head, although probably only the silencer as the pre-cats gone already and I can use the £400ish that I save on other things. :poke: Hurry up then, then I can go shopping :)

Edited by N111RAW, 04 August 2003 - 04:03 PM.

#12 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:12 PM

Anyone know of a decent place to get a high flow panel filter from? PVD do their own brand foam filter for about £25, but what about a cotton K&N? I've heard people mention prices like £50 or £60 which seems excessive. B4D_VX -> how do you rate your replacement foam filter (I'm guessing that might have been a dumb question...)?

#13 B4D_VX

B4D_VX

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:20 PM

The PVD panel filters are great, and one of the best selling Vauxhall panel filters on the market. The price is cheap, but that doesn't mean to say it's not a good product. We use a proven foam design rather than cotton gauze like the K&N. In practise their is very little difference - both designs offer good filtration and good flow. However :( there have been problems with the 2.2 panel filter so it's being re-designed as we speak. I threw my airbox out by accident which hasn't helped, so if anyone out there wants to lend us a N/A airbox for a couple of weeks we'll sort you out a free filter in return....

#14 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:23 PM

Can't go without my airbox for a couple of weeks I'm afraid, unless you lend me a viper in the meantime!!! Let me know as soon as you've finished redesigning it, I'll 'ave one. cheers

#15 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:23 PM

I'm also wondering with the car being stationary, would it be down on power?
The last rolling road I went to had a huge fan blowing at the front of my car.
I don't remember there being one at the AMD rolling road?

AmD decided not to use the blowers (they have 3 of them, including a mahoosive mobile one they normally attach to the front of the car) but decided that as we had a lot of cars to get through and we were only running single runs there wasn't much point.

When they map cars all the blowers are on and it sounds like a gale on the top of Everest in there. :beat:

#16 B4D_VX

B4D_VX

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 04:25 PM

Can't go without my airbox for a couple of weeks I'm afraid, unless you lend me a viper in the meantime!!!

Let me know as soon as you've finished redesigning it, I'll 'ave one.

cheers

I can lend you a sock, but can't stretch to a Viper....

We'll have the filter sorted soon I'm sure, I'll let you know when they're through.

#17 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 07:00 PM

However :( there have been problems with the 2.2 panel filter so it's being re-designed as we speak. I threw my airbox out by accident which hasn't helped, so if anyone out there wants to lend us a N/A airbox for a couple of weeks we'll sort you out a free filter in return....

Since I have the K&N on mine the original air box is sat in my garage. Be happy to loan it to you if you wish

Paul

#18 Marco Polo

Marco Polo

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Cars and tracks :-)
    Roller skating in Paris
    Diving
    Wife and kids

Posted 04 August 2003 - 07:18 PM

Green is also doing things for the VX220/Speedster : Green Cotton Air Filters
(replacement panel, induction kit with single cone or dynatwist)

I think I will be conservative at first : I will just remove the horn in the standard air box and wait for our friend B4D VX's new panel filter ! ;)

#19 N111RAW

N111RAW

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:32 AM

Since I have the K&N on mine the original air box is sat in my garage. Be happy to loan it to you if you wish

PaulCP - You beat me too it. However, I was going to look for some discount on the Viper in replace of PVD keeping my old air box :beat: No only kidding. Still not enough information on which to base my decision yet.

Next dumb ass question: With the exsisting air box the panel filter gets replaced at services. Do these replacement induction kits have similar consumables that get replaced every so often and if so am I looking at more long term expenditure?

Final dumb ass question (for now): Is fitting of these replacement systems easy enough to do yourself :rolleyes:

#20 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 08:46 AM

Next dumb ass question: With the exsisting air box the panel filter gets replaced at services. Do these replacement induction kits have similar consumables that get replaced every so often and if so am I looking at more long term expenditure?

I think you'll find K&N say their filters are good for 100,000 (or is it 1,000,000) miles. So shouldn't need replacing, although they sell little bottles of filter oil which you're supposed to put on the filter every now and again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users